• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M65 Original - Is it a fair price?

Atticus

Both are original, Vietnam era, issued jackets. The first is a 1967 (maker unknown), the other is a 1971 Alpha. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with the 1967. I'm not sure why, I just like it. Its got more of a "been there" look.

As to price, I'm used to paying much more for vintage M-65s because I have to buy size extra large. As with most vintage jackets, there's hefty "Big Boy" premium on original M-65s. I have no idea what jackets in your size sell for these days.

AF

havocpaul

They seem the average prices, cheaper from the US but have to factor in postal costs and they're not light jackets! the guy at Lilysplace seems to get a good selection regularly, worth looking at Rockit Vintage site as they had sveral last time I looked and again are fair prices. I have got examples from both those sources. As for the best, try going for the earliest , 60's and early 70's are good, have brass zips enclosing the hood. I have a nice SAC USAF one that even though it's from the 80's is nicely made and great patches and insignia. I always wear Med Reg as they do run a bit big. Hope this helps Steve...good luck :)

Peter Graham

Steve, I'd go for the Lilysplace jacket. I've dealt with them a few times and have had no problems. The price is not bad and the jacket is very crisp and clean looking. My own M-65 is a 71 Alpha and I really like the contrasting grey/green lining. Just personal opinion. Glad to hear that you are joining the ranks of M-65 wearers. The best jacket you will ever buy. Get a liner for the winter and you've got a four season jacket. :)

A

Anonymous

Go with the Alpha.
I own several of these M65's and can tell you that the quality and construction of Alpha (their 70s models) is unsurpassed.
The Alpha with silver zipper is highly sought after and at this condition for the money asked is a steal. They usually go at $250 or more.

Furthermore the so called "two tone" with sage green liner is EXTREMELY rare.

If this was small regular I would have bought it by now

Cobblers161

Thanks y'all! The deed is done, as it is based in the UK and therefore the import duty etc.. will be avoided I went for the Alpha.

I'll post some pics once it arrives.

While we're on the subject of cloth can anyone recommend a windcheater type jacket for spring/summer seasons? I've found this USN jacket but the price is a little steep:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280865272449? ... 537wt_1101

Now the weather is warming up I will be saying cheerio to my trust USN A2's for the coming months and need a replacement as I am out of the market for an USAAF A-2 just now (Too many sizing issues coupled with the vast expense have made me think twice about another). I have to add that the USN Deck jackets are superb, I have 5 in total and love 'em to bits. They really can't be faulted for a winter jacket.

Peter Graham

PLATON said:
Furthermore the so called "two tone" with sage green liner is EXTREMELY rare.

I'm very happy to hear that. Good call Steve. Hope it's not too short for you. It should be OK as there is very little difference between a short and a regular.

Cobblers161

Well the jacket arrived today and it's smashing.

It's in such great condition that initially I thought I'd been hoodwinked and sold a repro but the verdi gris on the collar zip gave it away. The fit is perfect, just nice over a t-shirt with room for a liner when it starts to cool off.

Thanks guys, here beginneth an obsession with M65's..... ;)

Peter Graham

Steve, mindful of Tim's problems with getting a liner for a decent price in the UK, I'd say that's a decent deal.

havocpaul

Looks fine, I have bought a few bits from these guys and they're great to deal with. Can't see it's a 'sin' to have an earlier liner, then again, we're all sinners here! Price wise, about right, don't see many liners around here in UK..go for it :)

Atticus

Cobblers161 said:
PS....... how's this for a liner:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-1969- ... 500wt_1116

The jackets a 1971 so is it a sin to have a '69 liner? Also is the price ok?

I have a feeling my much loved A2 Deck jackets may have some healthy competition.

I would try to get a liner close to the same age as the jacket...so a 1969 liner is great for a 1971 jacket. I've noticed that liner button spacing in the M-65 varies a bit from decade to decade. I've had to move buttons to get newer liners to fit older jackets.

But I agree with Peter...you need a liner. Without something...even if its just a sweatshirt...the M-65 is not a warm jacket.

AF

Cobblers161

Thanks again guys. I've pulled the trigger on the liner so will be fully kitted out very soon.

I'm still marvelling at the quality of the jacket. I had a repro in the mid 90's that I loved but it doesn't come close this baby!

Very happy indeed. :D

Peter Graham

Wait till it gets a bit of wear and a few washes and you'll love it even more. My M-65 is the jacket I reach for far more than any other. I'm off camping this weekend and it's coming with me. I wouldn't consider any other jacket.

A

Anonymous

DON'T wash your M-65 unless it absolutely needs washing. If you wash it without following the correct procedure (which I have no idea what is) it will lose its water repellent properties.

And also,

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif