M422a replacement knit question...

Discussion in 'General Flight Jacket Discussion' started by Brettafett, Apr 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Brettafett

Brettafett Member

Hi gents,

Any experience with replacement waistband knits from Larry over at Flightjacketknits?
    Particularly the single ply M422a type.

Mr Steve Sellers from Headwindmfg is making me an M422a and I am vacillating between ‘authenticity’ and ‘longevity’.
    ‘Authenticity’, being the std single ply M422a waist knit and the ‘longevity’ being the A-2/ later G-1 double layer waistband.

I have a set of the A-2 replacement knit, and its very good, but do I want this on my M422a?
    Then again, would the single ply stretch out and loose shape?

Thoughts?

2. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

stay with the single ply knits, as they are stronger and will last long then you think.

3. Brettafett

Brettafett Member

Single ply stronger than the double used on A-2s? But I am veering toward 'authenticity'....

4. Grant

Grant Well-Known Member

Hey Brett,
    My vote is to go for authenticity. The knits on all my WWII USN jackets have held up remarkably well.

Roughwear likes this.
  5. Brettafett

Brettafett Member

You guys are winning me over. I know you are right.

6. Brent

Brent Member

I concur, the rib-rack knits for authenticity as well as the asthetics. To me a G-1 and especially a M422a don't look right without rib-rack knits. Mine aren't WWII but '50s and '60s and are holding up quite well.

Regards,

7. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

If you have an original WWII M-422a, and you're going to restore the knits, please go with the period replacements. Its a historical piece of which there aren't many around, so why not keep it as original as possible?.. Just my 2 cents worth.

8. Brettafett

Brettafett Member

No, its not an original. Its for a Headwind mfg HL Block repro.

9. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

My mistake...sorry

10. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Brett, as the lads said above USN knits are the best for those jackets. They look better, sized right for the style of jacket, and do wear extremely well, you won't regret it.

11. Roughwear

Roughwear Well-Known Member

Original Block M422a jackets had naval style knits and A-2 style ones would not be correct for this contract. They should be durable and last as long as A-2 ones.

12. Brettafett

Brettafett Member

Totally convinced. Thank you all.

Roughwear likes this.