• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-51 field jacket

watchmanjimg

The M-1950 field jacket is essentially an M-1943 with inner buttons for attachment of the liner. It was succeeded by a similar jacket in 1951, but in Olive Green shade 107 instead of the earlier Olive Drab shade 7. This model was obviously short-lived as the M-1951 spec was introduced soon thereafter.

Tim P

I did often wonder why the addition of a set of interior buttons called for a spec change. there was also an M48 was there not?

kevlarg

Does anyone know if this one had a zipper? That would definitely make it different than the M43.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
I did often wonder why the addition of a set of interior buttons called for a spec change. there was also an M48 was there not?

The interior buttons were intended for use with a different type of liner than originally supplied with the M-1943 ensemble, hence the spec change. There was an M-1948 parka, but I'm unaware of any such spec for field jackets. However, the MQ1 field jacket was the transitional model as the M-1950 became standardized. It also had the inner liner buttons.

kevlarg said:
Does anyone know if this one had a zipper? That would definitely make it different than the M43.

No zipper on the M-1950. The liner buttons are the only difference I can think of.

Peter Graham

If the M-50 is basically an M-43 I might skip buying one. It's the lack of zipper and those funny shaped lower pocket flaps that I don't like.

watchmanjimg

I agree that the M-1951 is a great improvement over its predecessors. You can live without an M-1950 even if you want to represent the various eras. The M-1943 was worn throughout the Korean War and the M-1951 went well into Vietnam, as we've discussed. My Korean War collection, though fairly large, does not include an M-1950 and I'm not losing any sleep over it . . .

a2 fng

US field jkts are very very complicated and confusing as i believe there are are around 10 different specs for the M43,same with the m50s and M51s :cry: :cry: :cry:

Used to have a fair few but now settle for just one of each as im afraid im not the type of collector that MUST own every single variation of a specific jkt so now have an M43,50,51 and M65.

Couldnt find my Aircav M51 but came accross my M50 which i thought id sold to be honest!!!

Check out the 2 different size labels.

DSCF6486.jpg

DSCF6487.jpg

DSCF6488.jpg

DSCF6489.jpg

DSCF6490.jpg

DSCF6491.jpg

a2 fng

Found it!!!!!!!!

Hard to tell from the pics but the patch on the jkt is a cut edge(all patches are original to the jkt)and is definately more gold than the others,material seems different and the black band doesnt appear to have stripes in it like the other 2(1 cut edge.1 modern)

Also i believe its an early Vietnam issue M51 as it has a contract number and not later DSA code.

Subdued insignia was introduced in 1969(supposedly)but not adopted straight away by a lot of units so looks like this jkt was worn at least 1969 and maybe later??

DSCF6499.jpg

DSCF6500.jpg

DSCF6501.jpg

DSCF6503.jpg

DSCF6504.jpg

watchmanjimg

Actually, this is one of the very latest M-1951s issued. The concave buttons were introduced around 1963 with the 1st-pattern tropical combat uniform ("jungle fatigues") and soon found their way onto the M-51 as well as the 3rd-pattern sateen uniform. More specifically, look at the tag indicating nylon/cotton manufacture. The blended fabric was a key feature of the M-65, which obviously came well after the M-51's introduction. This fabric is far less susceptible to the fraying and fading of the earlier cotton versions, and the Army could simply have continued producing the much better looking M-51 in nylon-cotton instead of bothering with the M-65 at all. A shame if you ask me . . .

In any event, congrats on a GREAT 'Nam-era M-51. Between yours and Peter's I'm quite jealous!

Peter Graham

That gold coloured Cav patch is identical to mine. Strange that they are on different arms. Was there any regulation about this ?

a2 fng

Peter Graham said:
That gold coloured Cav patch is identical to mine. Strange that they are on different arms. Was there any regulation about this ?

Unit patches were worn on the left sleeve but i think if you changed unit you were allowed to wear the patch of your previous unit on the right sleeve ONLY if you saw combat with the previous unit????

You can see the stitching marks where it was originaly on the left sleeve.

The spec label is i believe for an early Nam issue jkt so i guess late for an M51 but early for Nam :? :? :? :?

I realy dont know enough about these jkts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but am not going to turn into an addict/freak either so will leave it at that for now ;) ;)

kevlarg

I just picked this one up from ebay: Item number: 320257656772

You guys inspired me (my girlfriend will be pissed) to buy one of these since (2) m-43's, (1) M-43 liner, (1) M-65, (1) G-1, and (1) ANJ-3A (she doesn't know about that one:) aren't enough. :D

Now experts, what year is my jacket from? They spec is printed on the inside and hard to read.

rb3586

The last jacket is a DPSC contracted and made M-65. Made at the old factory in Philadelphia. The government still made and issued short run clothing items, at that time. There were all types of garments made there.

It does have the NATO/UK sizing label, of the mid sixties. I seem to recall the last year of M-1951 issue was 1964, but it probably fell under FY1965 contracting. The spec was canceled in 1965, though.

I've seen WRS M-65's, but not a poly cotton M-1951. It doesn't mean they don't exist, just haven't seen one, yet.

Update (06-15): When I first saw the jacket, there was no picture of the M-1951 label. It was added later. Very early M-65's used the same nato sizing label.
So, I stand corrected and learned something today- Thanks Jim! The collar and epps are very M-65ish, plus the fabric.

watchmanjimg

rb3586 said:
The last jacket is a DPSC contracted and made M-65. Made at the old factory in Philadelphia. The government still made and issued short run clothing items, at that time. There were all types of garments made there.

It does have the NATO/UK sizing label, of the mid sixties. I seem to recall the last year of M-1951 issue was 1964, but it probably fell under FY1965 contracting. The spec was canceled in 1965, though.

I've seen WRS M-65's, but not a poly cotton M-1951. It doesn't mean they don't exist, just haven't seen one, yet.

Take another look at the last jacket and you'll see it's an M-1951. I understand the collar points are not as long as the earlier examples, but I've seen them in person and this feature is typical of the last version. Additionally, note the external drawstring and label bearing the designation "M-1951." As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the nylon-cotton shell was probably the only change the M-51 needed to be perfect.

I have three examples of the earliest version of the M-65, the labels of which are undated. Interestingly, they are without epaulets even though several previous generations of field jackets have them as well as the standardized version of the M-65 most of us are familiar with.

Atticus

Hi Folks,

I've learned more about field jackets in this single thread than I have since I've been a member of VLJ. Thanks for the information, guys!

Unless my mother has thrown it away, my father has what must be a M-43 or M-50. I remember that he used to wear it camping and it had buttons as opposed to a zipper. When I was twelve or thirteen, I had what must have been a M-51. I got it in 1967 or 1968 and it was very old then. I do remember that it had a zipper, though. Then I bought a woodland camo M-65 from Saigon Sam's in Jacksonville, N.C.---must have been 1979 or so. (Remember Saigon Sam's, Allen?) I wore it to shreds.

Now I have this. It has a 1989 DLA number, but it was NOS when I got it off of e-bay. I paid a whopping $11.00, as I recall.

USE_DESERT_TRI_COLOUR_JACKE.jpg

I'd love to have a M-51 or even an older M-65, but it seems to be difficullt to find such jackets in size XL.

AF