• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-43, M-51 and M-65's

foster

I agree, definitely US GI issue. I have seen originals both with and without the size tag seen in the collar.

Phantomfixer

Not a M65 but still a field jacket...found this the other day...it was missing one liner button, and the liner is an Xlarge where the jacket is a Large...I have a few of these, but this is the first mint black tag..with a mint liner...

Phantomfixer

The AF came out with a gray series uniform in the 50s for ground crew and maybe even just a utility uniform. I have always heard them called crew chief jackets...the uniform didnt last too long though...
the buttons are a hold over I guess from the M43, has snap down pockets, and a zipper under the collar to stow the attached hood, like the M65. Too warm for me to wear with the liner, very nice with out.... Kinda neat

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
Phantomfixer said:
Not a M65 but still a field jacket
I've seen these about. What are they, ground crew jackets ?

Phantomfixer said:
The AF came out with a gray series uniform in the 50s for ground crew and maybe even just a utility uniform. I have always heard them called crew chief jackets...the uniform didnt last too long though...
the buttons are a hold over I guess from the M43, has snap down pockets, and a zipper under the collar to stow the attached hood, like the M65. Too warm for me to wear with the liner, very nice with out.... Kinda neat

This was the USAF-issue field jacket prior to the standardization of the M-65 and OG-107 sateen fatigue uniform across the services. This particular design was produced in Shade 509 initially and later OG-107.

Phantomfixer

Here is one example of the pattern form the 50s..I find it cool that the trousers incorporated a tool pocket....The USAF now frowns on tools in pockets....and snaps for the waist adjustment..

Looking at the shirt...the button are a different type and the material is not the same weave...Hmmmm. Clearly the trousers are legit but the shirt? Anyone seen one like it?IS it USAF or something thrown together...maybe I got taken? Hmm..at least the pants are legit maybe the shirt too dunno

Tim P

I love my shade 509 stuff, I have a couple of full rigs to fit, including a mint big collar field jacket. I have a badged version in og 107 also. Very era specific.

watchmanjimg

Phantomfixer said:
Looking at the shirt...the button are a different type and the material is not the same weave...Hmmmm. Clearly the trousers are legit but the shirt? Anyone seen one like it?IS it USAF or something thrown together...maybe I got taken? Hmm..at least the pants are legit maybe the shirt too dunno

It's a perfectly legit Shade 509 uniform but I believe the shirt was privately purchased or tailor-made. I can see the airman's laundry stamp on the lower left tail of the shirt. Do the trousers have a similar marking?

Phantomfixer

It does! but it doesnt match J4591 bummer but good to know the shirt is legit...good eye on the laundry mark! gettin old I guess

They do look comfortable but a size 30 waist was about 20 years ago....if they fit I'd keepem