• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-422A vs. G1

cresolred

Hi, longtime lurker first time poster here. I'm planning to buy a leather jacket for the first time, potentially interested in a USN jacket, I'm wondering what are the main differences (esp physical/visual) between the M-422A and the G1? It's hard for me to tell as a newbie. Lmk if there are any good explainers out there to read.

I'm 5'10 and very slim and read some advice here from @mulceber and others to someone with similar measurements to consider looking for jackets second hand on Yahoo Auctions Japan – I did that and that was great advice, thanks! (I used to order second hand clothes from Japan years ago and had forgotten/fallen out of that habit.)

I've also read that if you're trim, it might be possible to pick up an original G1 or USN jacket for a decent price, is that true? Any advice there?

ZuZu

Hi, longtime lurker first time poster here. I'm planning to buy a leather jacket for the first time, potentially interested in a USN jacket, I'm wondering what are the main differences (esp physical/visual) between the M-422A and the G1? It's hard for me to tell as a newbie. Lmk if there are any good explainers out there to read.

I'm 5'10 and very slim and read some advice here from @mulceber and others to someone with similar measurements to consider looking for jackets second hand on Yahoo Auctions Japan – I did that and that was great advice, thanks! (I used to order second hand clothes from Japan years ago and had forgotten/fallen out of that habit.)

I've also read that if you're trim, it might be possible to pick up an original G1 or USN jacket for a decent price, is that true? Any advice there?
The biggest difference really is between the later G-1s and the M-422 type jackets (which include the ANJ3a and the AN6552). The G-1s from the late 40s and through the 50s are pretty much the same as the M422 type jackets although some may be shorter in body length. The M-422 through early G-1s have angular pocket flaps, pointy collars, bi-weave waistband and small toothed zippers. IMO they are much better looking than the later G-1s which are characterized by rounded (almost rectangular) pocket flaps, rounded collars and and big toothed zippers usually with a paper clip puller.

So the M422, M-422A, ANJ3A, AN6552, 55J14 (G-1) and 7823 (G-1) are the early versions based on the original prototype jacket. The 7823A through 7823C (G-1s) are still high quality jackets but with the rounded collar and pocket flaps. (They still retain the bieave waistband for the most part). The 7823Ds and Es are the latest versions where quality materials drop off 'till you get the crap which is issued today. Many 7823Ds still have mouton collars and great goatskin but by the Ë" you're looking at crappy Dynel collars and possible cowhide leather. Anything made after 1976 isn't worth the money IMO.

The M422 group of jackets (anything before 1960) are much cooler IMO. If you lurk on eBay and are willing to spend $450 to $1000 you can get a spectacular example (I've bought 4 in the last 2 years- I paid $1000 for a brand new 55j14). Don't buy anything after a 7823C unless it's really cheap.

And yes- if you are trim and can fit into a 40 or 42 there are many more great examples. The larger sizes are hardest to find!

Last edited: