• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-41 field jacket

joeson

Picked up an interesting M-41 'parsons' jacket this week.This one has a blanket wool lining,like the standard British battle dress,or 40's US officers shawl collar coat,and an aero zipper.It also has an army service forces patch on the shoulder,along with epaulets.No spec labels inside.I only have the earlier US 'parsons' to compare it to.
Very well made,but the construction is obviously not American.Anybody have any ideas?

Peter Graham

Sounds interesting. It could be a privately purchased jacket. Some US officers had jackets tailored in the UK. It could also be a "reverse" lend -lease jacket. I know some US equipment and clothing was made in Britain but I'm not sure about M-41's. A few pics might help identifiy it.

joeson

I knew someone was going to ask for pictures.I need to get over my fear of trying to load/post them,I suppose.

Peter Graham

I'm not sure what to make of it. It definately looks well made. The buttons are not US issue. Do you know anything about Bermans ? If they were around in WW2 I'd say it's a private purchase jacket made for a US Army officer.

joeson

Bermans started in the 50's,as far as I know.They were started by an actor as a company supplying costumes to the film industry.This just looks too good to be costume(by that,I mean in-house made),though.I would assume they would buy items in to use,much the same as the later firm Berman and Nathen and Angels did.I have plenty of vintage military items that have come to me via costume departments.
The pictures don't show very clearly but I think the buttons are bakelite.