• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1941 field jackets

kevlarg

watchmanjimg said:
I definitely hear you, Kev. It was a tough call, but I've been trying to build a collection to rival those in the reference books (at least within my area of interest) and I needed a larger jacket. As has been discussed here, M41s above size 38 are very rare in any condition and the last two I looked at were barely more than junk due to excessive wear and musty odor. Even a well-known Internet source of rare militaria (cost no object) really hasn't had much to offer in clean larger M41s, so I felt that I couldn't let this one slip by.

I guess in the overall it's not so bad as I've gotten enough great deals on numerous other pieces in my collection to offset paying a bit more for one item.

Thanks for commenting. You've pointed out what for me is most important--it appears to be a perfect example. :D

Enjoy it. It looks brand new. I have been looking for an inexpensive 41 on and off for the last few years and I definitely fit the usual size range but most that come up are pretty ratty.

Peter Graham

Good buy Jim, and with a Kwik zipper too ! I don't think you've paid way over the odds. A little maybe but as you say, good M-41's are very rare, and that looks like a beaut.

watchmanjimg

Jacket just arrived and I'm rendered almost speechless by its condition. It's so nice one would almost think it's a repro but the labels, fold of the collar from 60-plus years of being in the same position, and of course the classic vintage smell are unmistakable. Pics to follow . . .

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Jacket just arrived and I'm rendered almost speechless by its condition.

Great ... and now the purchase price is no longer of any importance. :)

watchmanjimg

True, David, although it never was to me. My max bid was considerably higher as I knew such an opportunity would not likely repeat itself. The reservations about the price came from the peanut gallery. :lol:

watchmanjimg

As you wish, Peter. Sorry for the poor quality, but I have yet to master my digital camera. In any case one can still get a good feel for the condition of this piece. The original pea-green shade is evident:

M41s002.jpg
M41s008.jpg
M41s006.jpg

M41s004.jpg
M41s005.jpg

And here's how it looks when worn:
M41s009.jpg
M41s010.jpg

By comparison, here's my 38R. This one is in nice shape, but has faded to the familiar "khaki" shade some collectors like to blab about.

M41001.jpg
M41007.jpg
M41004.jpg

M41003.jpg
M41002.jpg

M41s011.jpg
M41s012.jpg

Measurements for the jackets are as follows, in inches:

40 Regular: pit to pit 24.25, sleeve 24.5, back length 26.5, shoulders 20
38 Regular: pit to pit 23.75, sleeve 23.75, back length 25.5, shoulders 19

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
Measurements for the jackets are as follows, in inches:

40 Regular: pit to pit 24.25, sleeve 24.5, back length 26.5, shoulders 20
38 Regular: pit to pit 23.75, sleeve 23.75, back length 25.5, shoulders 19

Ah ..... it's beautiful. :D

I recently sold my two, no labels, but I kept a note of the measurements. Looking at yours, one of mine was obviously a Long ..... back length 28, sleeve 27.5.

kevlarg

You did very well Jim. It looks perfect. The fit seems pretty similar although the back looks a tad more roomy than your 38.

watchmanjimg

Thanks, gents. I was surprised how little difference there was in the pit-to-pit measurement between the two jackets, but overall the 40 is far more comfortable. For me it's mission accomplished. Now to find an original tanker in similar condition . . .