• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M-1941 field jackets

Peter Graham

Here are some pics of my two M-41 field jackets. The standard Army model in OD3 also used by the Airforce and the Navy model in OD7. There are major differences between the Army and Navy models apart from the colour. The Navy type lacks the eppulettes, bi-swing back, waist and cuff adjustment and the throat latch and has the addition of a USN stencil on the left brest. Good M-41's are becoming scarce. Expect to pay between $200 - $300 for a really nice one and about a third of that for a Navy model. They are a really nicely tailored jacket of very high quality construction and worth every penny. Zipper types vary. I have seen M-41's with Crown's, Talon's and Conmar's but never a Quik. M41's were used as flight jackets a lot, especially in the CBI theatre.

Standard Army/Airforce M41 in OD3.
jackets002.jpg

Navy model in OD7.
jackets011.jpg

Differences in colour and two zipper variations. Note larger buttons on the Navy jacket.
m41004.jpg

m41001.jpg

m41003.jpg

Willy McCoy

I think the Army jacket has a lot more character. They are and have been hard to find in larger sizes for a while now.

zoomer

At The Front makes a pretty good one for $60.
Lining is rayon blend and zipper somewhat cheapo, otherwise fine.

us_uni_M41_main.jpg

Just remember, they're khaki!

a2 fng

Originals are hard to come by here in the Uk and expensive in any size.

Most ive seen on Ebay etc are quite tatty.

Only have repros myself-2 from SOF and just sold a nice budget repro-from memory it had a SEMS label

Peter Graham

9thinfdiv said:
Maybe Goodwear will reproduce the M-41 down the road at some point.
I don't think M-41's are John's bag. There are quite a few repros out there but none are really accurate. It's the details that count, like zippers, lining and labels and nobody makes an M-41 to the standard of John's A-2's.

zoomer

High accuracy cloth repros are pretty much a non-starter outside Japan, where they will pay so much more for them. It really doesn't cost much less to make the cloth jackets, but few will pay the same premium they would for leathers, so there goes the margin and the incentive.

zoomer

BTW, that throat latch on the ATF jacket? Strictly nonfunctional, unless you have a 15" neck on a size 44 body. I unstitched mine and put it aside.

Peter Graham

zoomer said:
BTW, that throat latch on the ATF jacket? Strictly nonfunctional, unless you have a 15" neck on a size 44 body. I unstitched mine and put it aside.
That's an odd thing to do. Why not just leave it there and not use it ?

a2 fng

Never having seen an original M41 to compare with over the years i have owned the following repro M41s-Sturm/Miltec,ex SPR,cheap Chinise ones and now the ATF ones and to be honest i have been happy with all except the Sturm/Miltec one-horrible pea green colour with almost flourescent green buttons :eek: :eek:

zoomer

Peter Graham said:
zoomer said:
That's an odd thing to do. Why not just leave it there and not use it ?

As the lady said to the eunuch. :lol:

Actually, it did button back under, but it crumpled up the collar pretty badly. Seems to me it wasn't designed to do anything but dangle. I might reposition it, but as yet I lack the sewing skills.

9thinfdiv

Pea green was the original color when the M41 was issued. Over time it faded to the khaki color everyone wants. Now, everyone thinks khaki was the original shade. The buttons, however, were for the most part dark brown but there are examples that had pea green ones also.

RudyN

I have a M-1941 Field jacket from What Price Glory. The lining is a brown wool, the color is a light green with brown buttons and the throat latch actually fits well.

Len

Peter,
Are the two jackets in your pictures about the same size? I've seen measurements on the USN M41 and the sleeves seem quite short for the size of the jacket. In your photos the army version looks like it fits, with a little room whereas the navy version seems to be a trim fit.
Len

Peter Graham

Len said:
Peter,
Are the two jackets in your pictures about the same size? I've seen measurements on the USN M41 and the sleeves seem quite short for the size of the jacket. In your photos the army version looks like it fits, with a little room whereas the navy version seems to be a trim fit.
Len
Len, you're spot on with your observations.. The Army jacket is tagged 36R and fits me perfectly even though I'm a 38. Unfortunately the tag was missing from the Navy jacket but it was just slightly to trim for comfort so if the sizing is the same as the Army jacket I would say it was a 34. I have since sold the Navy jacket but if I remember correctly the sleeves were in proportion.

havocpaul

Unlike flight jackets, WW2 field jackets (M-41 and M-43) all fit larger than their stated sizes, I wear a 42 but can often wear a 38 in those jackets.

watchmanjimg

Peter Graham said:
I have seen M-41's with Crown's, Talon's and Conmar's but never a Quik.

Hello Pete!

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Hopefully it's all that it promises to be as original M-41s larger than size 38 are unbelievably rare in my experience, regardless of condition. I have a great 38R example at present, but it's snug on me. You may see it on the Buy/Sell page soon. I visited a militaria shop in St. Augustine recently and saw an original tanker jacket as well as a couple M-41s all in larger sizes, but they were very salty and priced over $300 each. This one is as nice as can be, and lo and behold--a Kwik zipper. PLEASE don't tell me it's a replacement. :eek:

I've been rather quiet on the forum, but I'm still very much in the game. As you may know, I maintain a very large collection of WW2/Korea/Vietnam uniforms, weapons, and field gear and have purchased many new items of late including an unissued pair of original Type II service shoes. I've been meaning to post some pics, but work and various family commitments keep getting in the way.

kevlarg

watchmanjimg said:
Peter Graham said:
I have seen M-41's with Crown's, Talon's and Conmar's but never a Quik.

Hello Pete!

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

Hopefully it's all that it promises to be as original M-41s larger than size 38 are unbelievably rare in my experience, regardless of condition. I have a great 38R example at present, but it's snug on me. You may see it on the Buy/Sell page soon. I visited a militaria shop in St. Augustine recently and saw an original tanker jacket as well as a couple M-41s all in larger sizes, but they were very salty and priced over $300 each. This one is as nice as can be, and lo and behold--a Kwik zipper. PLEASE don't tell me it's a replacement. :eek:

I've been rather quiet on the forum, but I'm still very much in the game. As you may know, I maintain a very large collection of WW2/Korea/Vietnam uniforms, weapons, and field gear and have purchased many new items of late including an unissued pair of original Type II service shoes. I've been meaning to post some pics, but work and various family commitments keep getting in the way.

thats a perfect example but $510 is too rich for my wallet.

watchmanjimg

I definitely hear you, Kev. It was a tough call, but I've been trying to build a collection to rival those in the reference books (at least within my area of interest) and I needed a larger jacket. As has been discussed here, M41s above size 38 are very rare in any condition and the last two I looked at were barely more than junk due to excessive wear and musty odor. Even a well-known Internet source of rare militaria (cost no object) really hasn't had much to offer in clean larger M41s, so I felt that I couldn't let this one slip by.

I guess in the overall it's not so bad as I've gotten enough great deals on numerous other pieces in my collection to offset paying a bit more for one item.

Thanks for commenting. You've pointed out what for me is most important--it appears to be a perfect example. :D

Members online

Latest posts