• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LVC 501's

blackrat2

Thanks Grant
Yep with the exception of dog walks I alternate between each pair so gonna take sometime to break two pairs I guess

Grant

Hey Ken,
Wish you guys could restock Lee Japan. Some of the finest reproduction denim out there.

Ken at Aero Leather

Scott............If only Levi Vintage would make bigger sizes we'd stock them, we ask every season

Grant...........We've tried every year and we are still trying, there's been a few changes in the structure (ownership??) of Lee in the last few years, result is Lee Europe can't get them for us any more and it's very difficult getting a Japanese brand to sell to The UK, no idea why?

Cobblers161

There was run of '47's with a 38" leg fairly recently but that seems to have been short lived as they're like rocking horse ****.
I tracked a pair down this time last year but that was a last pair in stock find.
I suppose the reality is they can't meet our every need.

blackrat2

There is quite a bit of LVC on eBay...not sure of sizes but from the US,top price paid and then you get hit for customs

Cocker

Just ordered a pair of Rumble59 15oz raw selvedge denim. At 159.00EUR, this may be a good deal. More when they'll arrive!

johnwayne

Isn't MRP a gimmick? The whole reason I stopped buying 44's is purely due to price and I have to say the quality dropped IMO! I've still got 3 pairs that have all worn in same place - the crotch seam ( no comments please! ) plus yes, on the turn ups which I understand but I don't think any pair got me much past 12 months before they started to show the wear - having said that they were/are poss my favourites for fit and look but now I reckon regular 501's are fine - I've recently bought a pair from John Lewis for £65 (down from £85). My son some years ago held good jobs both with Levi's and Lee Wrangler but gone are the days he could get me 'vintage 501's or 101B's' for a third of said MRP - happy days!!!
Cheers
Wayne

PADDY_M

I'm a chino's kinda guy. Never really saw the interest in denim & always bought cheap jeans without much thought or outlay.
What might tempt me now would be a high waist, suspender/braces buttons and a wide straight 40s leg. We'll see...

CBI

Yep, I did the entire get really into it thing with the same energy (almost) as the jackets, learn the details, different makers, mills, etc. I do have some high end selvedge jeans, just never really jelled like other vintage clothing. I think the main issue is it took me 2 years to break in a pair that had the look I wanted and then when I achieved the look, realized it wasn't worth the interest/effort. The "effort" being the many occasions where I wore them for breaking in purposes as opposed to the jeans really I preferred to wear on a certain day. This is just IMO. For those who love the high end denim, go for it! They do look great in their prime!

Oh, one more issue.........bleed. The high-end jeans with the natural indigo dye can really bleed onto other fabrics, stain clothing, shoes, car seats, etc. It has happened to me many times. Yes, there are things one can supposedly do but those didn't work so well.

Last edited:

Ken at Aero Leather

My first incursion into vintage was buying used Levis indirectly from an US Air Force base for 5 bob a pair (25p in new money) and selling them to mods at £1 a pair, new ones cost £2/19/6d in Milletts at the time (Nearly 3 quid for those of a younger disposition) but no self respecting mod wanted to be seen in a brand new pair that made him look as if he was buying into the look, that was 1963. Yes, I did very well thank you. That's when I first started wearing 501s.
Fast forward 12 years or so to when we started The Thrift Shop, we'd been selling used jeans (all washed and repaired if necessary, and of course with any flares removed!!!!) on Portobello Road for a couple of years at £2.50 a pair whatever the make, We'd clear a Mini full every Saturday, roof rack and boot included, sometimes by lunchtime. During the following 7 years inThe Thrift Shop we probably sold 200 pairs a week minimum,maybe 20,000 pairs still at£2.50 a pair whether Vintage 501s or a pair of 60's flares converted to straight leg. In all that time the only make I ever kept for myself, Lee and Levi excluded, was Lois, nothing aged as well as their jeans, I see they are still going, might we woth checking out.
I haven't worn jeans for years,must be an age thing although Lydia still wears 1933 Levis most of the week.

Re MRP. It's hard to get to be a LVC Stockist, they carefully select their outlets and to become a LVC stockist we agree not to discount their products nor to try undercutting other LVC stockists. No problem as far as we are concerened, Aero asks the same of our stockists, and when compared to the "on trend" Japanese brands LVC jeans are a real bargain, even more so at the new lower price.

johnwayne

Has any one here tried Prison Blues jeans? They are made by inmates in US and are heavyweight denim with high waist and full cut and incredible value at £60! They also also do a great hickory stripe shirts and other items like tee's and sweats and great value IMO - I only knew one shop in London that sold them but no longer and were higher priced but search for a co called America Ground (here in UK and based I think somewhere near Hastings but don't think they have real shop as such) and take a look and a punt if you are wanting a new pair of traditional cut jeans - I doubt you'll be disappointed!!
Cheers
Wayne

johnwayne

Thanks Cocker, not into rockabilly as such although can see the attraction but just rate the jeans and the hickory shirt I've got, some might say a little Shawshank Redemtion-ish! Just checked their site which is www.thaamericaground.com and they list stockists here and in Europe inc the one you mention.
Cheers
Wayne

Ken at Aero Leather

so what do you wear Ken? great info BTW

No plug, but I've been wearing Aero's High Waisted CC41 Cords for the last 8 or 9 years. They work well with Tweed or Leather, Jumpers or a shirt, and wear really well.
Otherwise one of a few vintage Savile Row suits I've collected over the years