• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Original or a Very Accurate Repro RN Duffel

B-Man2

Hi;

I'm looking for an original WWII or a very accurate repro of a WWII Royal Navy Duffel Coat.
Hoping for some replies from the UK as there are probably a great deal of these hiding in the shops and surplus stores in the UK.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

havocpaul

The days of finding them in surplus stores here in the UK are long gone sadly. Originals do appear fairly regularly on eBay but are fetching higher prices for good, clean examples. Check out militaria dealers such as WD Militaria who has had originals recently. Also it is worth noting that they are big, even the smallest size will fit as an extra large, of course they were made to wear over all the other uniform and wartime photos will show how they often look well oversized. As for repros, beware of several companies claiming to do an exact copy of the original Duffel, they don't! I believe only the copies as in Peter's link above, and the one from Buzz Rickson are accurate, however, if bought new cost three or four times an original! Ebay prices currently seem to range from £75-150 depending on condition etc. I was lucky to win a really nice example recently that is also named to a RM Commando who landed on D-Day, his Duffel was issued to him when an officer manning guns on warships and then RM training in Scotland. Good luck with your search.

PADDY_M

PADDY_M said:
This is a first pattern 1940 Duffel, as used by RN; SAS; LRDG. Has the brass snaps on hood and throat latch. Size 1 (I'm an average 5' 8 1/2").
DUFFEL005.jpg

DUFFEL010.jpg

DUFFEL011.jpg

I found this in a second hand clothes shop in Scarborough ,UK. They had no idea what it was & so was a real find for me. REALLY GOOD condition too! Photos taken in Wadi RV, 100 miles SSW of Tobruk! :)

dmar836

Looks like a great winter coat! I have decided that if one really wants to stay warm, waist-length coats are not the best - even a B-3. Warm, yes, but the wind gets up the back easily. Then again, I often judge this while wearing paper-thin hospital scrubs and covered thighs make a big difference.
Anyone in the US have one if these in a size 1 I could borrow? I'd like to pattern one of these.

Dave
KC

B-Man2

PADDY_M said:
PADDY_M said:
This is a first pattern 1940 Duffel, as used by RN; SAS; LRDG. Has the brass snaps on hood and throat latch. Size 1 (I'm an average 5' 8 1/2").
DUFFEL005.jpg

DUFFEL010.jpg

DUFFEL011.jpg

I found this in a second hand clothes shop in Scarborough ,UK. They had no idea what it was & so was a real find for me. REALLY GOOD condition too! Photos taken in Wadi RV, 100 miles SSW of Tobruk! :)

Paddy;

Great Looking Duffel!
That's the pattern I'd like to find.
Is there a chance you could post a couple of photo's of the labels or interior markings?
Also ; I'm 6'1" tall and 225lbs , what size would you recommend?
Thanks to all for your responses.

Burt

havocpaul

A wartime size 2 would fit you I think. Labels are often faded or missing so always ask for measurements, earlier pattern Duffel's like Paddy's fetch a higher price as they seem to be scarcer now although it was probable that they made more of them than later patterns, however, you see many being worn post-war by 'civvies' so that's where they all ended their days!

John Lever

Try a shop called Casque and Gauntlet in Farnham they often have stuff like that

55-59 Badshot Lea Road, Badshot Lea, Farnham GU9 9LP
01252 320745

B-Man2

Thanks to all of you for your help.
I'll keep looking for an original like Paddy's and one day the Duffel Coat Gods will smile upon me :D