• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a new Cafe Racer

Garzo

Greetings,

I'm looking for something to possibly replace my Schott 141 as a riding jacket and would greatly appreciate any comments, words of wisdom or other recommendations.
I'm looking for a jacket that is a tad sturdier and a bit longer than my 141. Ideally I'd love a brand new Brimaco but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Maybe a good used one?
Anyhow, I've narrowed my choices to the top two below, although I dig that new Schott jacket which looks very inspired by the old Brimaco but it's just too light-weight, a "summer" riding jacket.

One that I really like is the Thoroughbred Horsehide from Legendary USA (and made by Schott) for $600 on sale.
http://www.LegendaryUSA.com/Thoroughbre ... /6045h.htm

Legendary and Schott both have great customer service and alway reply to my emails almost immediately.

The other is the Vanson Model D for $499
http://www.vansonleathers.com/dw/prod/jacket/d.html
which is similar to the Model B but has a non-removable quilted lining instead of the B's removable zip-out lining.

I really like this jacket but have written to Vanson with some questions and after about two weeks I'm still waiting for a response.

And this is the new long cafe racer from Schott for $480. It's thinner than the others, made of Icelandic cowhide and no stormflap or bi-swing back, but just looks very cool. (And I won't be riding a whole lot in the winter)
http://www.schottnyc.com/products/other ... -racer.htm

Or I just keep the 141.

Opinions are very welcome

arclight

Hi Garzo;

What about the Schott 689 or one of the Fox Creek products?
I personally like the Vanson Enfield, but I know it's not a cafe type.
Best of luck with your search.

Snark

Of the options you mentioned, my personal order of preference would be: Vanson, Legendary, Schott... but only because a Vanson size 38R fits me as well as if I had stood there for a tailored fitting while they made minute adjustments. Since it's unlikely that off-the-rack sizes will fit you so well, I'd have to recommend the Legendary. Legendary has recently discontinued use of the felt backing on the inside of their horsehide jackets, and the reviews I've read are altogether very positive. IMO, Schott seems to be continuing it's trend toward more fashion-quality jackets... basically a "big name label". Good luck with whatever you choose!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Garzo said:
Ideally I'd love a brand new Brimaco but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Maybe a good used one?

If it's any consolation, the Brimaco wouldn't be protection for any sort of serious riding. Well judging by my one, anyway ... I really like it, but it's lightweight horsehide, and wouldn't be suitable for any more than riding a Vespa around the garden.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7593

Garzo

deeb7 said:
Garzo said:
Ideally I'd love a brand new Brimaco but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. Maybe a good used one?

If it's any consolation, the Brimaco wouldn't be protection for any sort of serious riding. Well judging by my one, anyway ... I really like it, but it's lightweight horsehide, and wouldn't be suitable for any more than riding a Vespa around the garden.

http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... =11&t=7593

Really? I have never seen one in person but was under the impression they were quite tough, rugged riding jackets. Maybe that Schott wouldn't be off the mark in terms of Brimaco-like feel, but it still wouldn't make sense to get as a riding jacket. Oh well.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Garzo said:
Really? I have never seen one in person but was under the impression they were quite tough, rugged riding jackets.

Great jackets, but light to mid weight hide, no padding, and ultra light nylon lining ... I would say they are more Cafe, than Racer.

Garzo

Snark said:
Of the options you mentioned, my personal order of preference would be: Vanson, Legendary, Schott... but only because a Vanson size 38R fits me as well as if I had stood there for a tailored fitting while they made minute adjustments. Since it's unlikely that off-the-rack sizes will fit you so well, I'd have to recommend the Legendary. Legendary has recently discontinued use of the felt backing on the inside of their horsehide jackets, and the reviews I've read are altogether very positive. IMO, Schott seems to be continuing it's trend toward more fashion-quality jackets... basically a "big name label". Good luck with whatever you choose!

The Vanson is the one I was really interested in from the beginning and would actually like to try an off-the-rack. I've found that off the rack sizes usually fit me fine, which is one of the factors supporting Schott. I've owned a number of Schotts in the past and know how they fit. I wear size 44 and could also go up to 46 for the Legendary. With Vanson I have no idea how they fit. Not sure if I would order a 46 or even a 48 as I hear they run small and one should go one size up. But in my case I'm not sure from what size I should go up if I'm already between a 44 and 46.

I guess I'll give them a ring and try to talk to someone as they still have not replied to my email -- which I find annoying. You'd think they'd be eager to follow up on customer enquiries! I also want to avoid a custom-made jacket because it's just a hassle. I really want to just try on one of those Model D to see how it fits.

Yes, I agree about Schott looking to expand beyond thick motorbike jackets, but I can't fault them. If they want to stay in business they probably need to expand their base. And I certainly don't think Schott can rely solely on motorcycle jacket sales. More and more motorcycle riders go for much lighter textile jackets with built in protectors that cost much less than a classic leather jacket with no protectors. At the same time, the price of leather continues to climb. I like the look of that new Schott cafe racer, but for $500 I feel like I want protection and not just a good drape. (Having said that, I do own a light-weight padded protector under-jacket that I can wear under a leather jacket.)

captaincaveman1

Consider the 641? It's a more fitted cut than the 141 and is available in steerhide which I understand is thicker than the 141's cowhide.

Of your choices, I'd go for either a Vanson Style B in competition weight or a Foxcreek cafe. Then there's always Aero's cafe in their super thick HH. FCL might be biggest bang for your buck and comes with a lifetime warranty. I've a Grayson and its the thickest jacket I've ever owned.

Garzo

captaincaveman1 said:
Consider the 641? It's a more fitted cut than the 141 and is available in steerhide which I understand is thicker than the 141's cowhide.

Of your choices, I'd go for either a Vanson Style B in competition weight or a Foxcreek cafe. Then there's always Aero's cafe in their super thick HH. FCL might be biggest bang for your buck and comes with a lifetime warranty. I've a Grayson and its the thickest jacket I've ever owned.

The 641 is definitely nice but it's still very similar to the 141 and I'm looking for something a bit longer. I'm actually now considering the Vanson Model A over the Model B. I called Vansons and spoke to a rep and he said the Model A and B are about the same length and very similar except that the Model A has no side buckles. I think I prefer its cleaner, simpler look.

Having said that, and having spent the last 30 minutes or so pouring over the Fox Creek website, I'm thinking the Grayson might make the most sense of all. I like classic looks and am not into racing-style padded jackets, but at the same time, protection is important and the Grayson offers both style and protection in an attractive package. And for just over $400, you can't go wrong. Must investigate this further.

Capt'n Caveman, how satisfied are you with the Grayson?

Vcruiser

The Fox Creek MC jackets are very nice(especially for the $$). Several friends that I ride with wear them. Keep in mind,though,that the finish(or lack thereof) is different than on the Vanson leather...if that means anything to you.
Van

Garzo

Vcruiser said:
The Fox Creek MC jackets are very nice(especially for the $$). Several friends that I ride with wear them. Keep in mind,though,that the finish(or lack thereof) is different than on the Vanson leather...if that means anything to you.
Van

Well, I've read that Fox Creek offers thick and heavy naked leather and I imagine Vanson's cowhide leather might be more comparable to Aero horsehide with that hard shellacked-type finish, although I have never seen a Vanson in person. I have owned a few Aeros and I have to say the stiffness made them a tad uncomfortable while everything I've read about Fox Creek is positive in that regard.

Decisions, decisions. On the one hand I like the pure classic build of a Vanson without the vents and armor protector pockets and just the tough as nails leather, but on the other hand I think a Fox Creek jacket might be more practical with the easy comfort coupled with the thick toughness and possibility to add armor.

Suffice to say, I'm a bit torn.

Vcruiser

Garzo said:
Vcruiser said:
Van

Well, I've read that Fox Creek offers thick and heavy naked leather and I imagine Vanson's cowhide leather might be more comparable to Aero horsehide with that hard shellacked-type finish, although I have never seen a Vanson in person. I have owned a few Aeros and I have to say the stiffness made them a tad uncomfortable while everything I've read about Fox Creek is positive in that regard.

Decisions, decisions. On the one hand I like the pure classic build of a Vanson without the vents and armor protector pockets and just the tough as nails leather, but on the other hand I think a Fox Creek jacket might be more practical with the easy comfort coupled with the thick toughness and possibility to add armor.

Garzo..
Both are nice jackets. No Vanson competition weight steer doesn't have a hard shellac finish(although a crisp hand) and isn't as stiffly uncomfortable as Aero's hvy steer or FQHH can be for some. However,different batches of hides from any company can vari somewhat. It is thick..and so is FoxCreeks cowhide. The naked hide that I've seen is just..well..a naked hide..and nothing wrong with that..but it is different than most hides. It has more of a flatter black finish compared to a satin or semi gloss if that makes sense. Seems more absorbant. I'll post a pic of my new Vanson sleeve to give you and example.

IMG_0312.jpg

This type of steerhide has more of a sheen...or finish.
Van

Vcruiser

Garzo said:
Vcruiser said:
Van

DON"T KNOW HOW THIS BECAME A DOUBLE POST....!!! :eek: :shock: :?

Garzo

Vcruiser said:
Garzo..
Both are nice jackets. No Vanson competition weight steer doesn't have a hard shellac finish(although a crisp hand) and isn't as stiffly uncomfortable as Aero's hvy steer or FQHH can be for some. However,different batches of hides from any company can vari somewhat. It is thick..and so is FoxCreeks cowhide. The naked hide that I've seen is just..well..a naked hide..and nothing wrong with that..but it is different than most hides. It has more of a flatter black finish compared to a satin or semi gloss if that makes sense. Seems more absorbant. I'll post a pic of my new Vanson sleeve to give you and example.

This type of steerhide has more of a sheen...or finish.
Van

Thanks Van,

that leather looks awesome. You jacket must be a real beauty. I definitely like that sheen. I've had a couple of Schott jackets in their naked leather so I know what you mean about that dull absorbent surface.

This really is a tough decision.

Don't know how you feel about sport rider jackets, but AVG Sport and ICON make nice, functional jackets. I have Fox Creek chaps and vest. Both are excellent medium weight leathers that look and feel fantastic. The leather is soft but feels as good as any other of my leather jackets with the exception of my Aero 3/4 belt HH. That is a tank.

OneEyeMan

I've owned a few Vansons.
Both sport rider jackets, and now the Enfield.
I purchased the Enfield for both riding and casual wear.
Felt the cafe racer jackets would just look strange when wearing
for casual occasions.
I've also seen some of the Schotts and, frankly, there's no comparison.
The Vanson cowhide is the nicest leather that I've ever seen.
In certain ways, I like it better than my Aero FQHH Highwayman.
Additionally, every stitch on the Vanson is perfect. It looks like it'll last forever.
One of the things I don't like about Schott is that they put an insulation layer
in the jacket that might be too warm during the summer.
The Vanson doesn't, but puts snaps in so that a liner can be used for colder rides.
Never saw the Fox Creeks, but I've heard that they're amazing for the price.
Good luck with your decision.
Lenny

Garzo

Just to update as I haven't been around here much in recent months -- I ended up getting the Fox Creek Grayson and it is an awesome jacket. All the reviews I read that led to my decision were spot on. Thick, tough yet soft and comfortable. The fit is great. Thanks for the helpful advice!
I'm looking forward to getting back on the bike following our icy winter this year.

Faster

just call Insurrection--http://www.insurrectionvintage.com--...they have Vanson Bs on the rack...elongated comets...Aeros...Brimaco...you name it...everything that's been talked about on this thread, they're the pros with it! They're great with fit too! It should be noted that they make reproduction Brimaco jackets, but in heavier hides...