• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long Awaited Aero LHB...

Tommer45

After a six month wait I was finally contacted by Mark Moye concerning my LHB. It was ready to be shipped and although it would cost him extra, Mark shipped the jacket via UPS so it would get here today (Friday 7/3) rather than ship it parcel post and have it arrive sometime next week. Classy guy.

The jacket is expertly constructed. Stitching is near flawless and the lining has none of the flaws (bunching, etc) I've read about in other posts. The color is by far the nicest color leather I've owned.. it's got the depth and character I like rather than just a flat, uniform color. It looks as if different parts of the leather absorbed the color differently, making for one beautiful jacket.

I'e got a lot of pictures so let me get started...

The LHB is made from Vintage Cordovan FQHH. The weight is not too cumbersome and the leather is pliable enough that it won't be a pain to break in. If I ever ordered another Aero I'd probably get this same vintage HH..it has a great weight and feel and won't take a year to break in. One thing I noticed when I opened the box is that it didn't ooze that new leather smell. Instead the jacket has almost a chemical smell. I don't know if it's the dye used or the "1920s dying process" that the label speaks of, but it certainly doesn't smell like my other leathers. Is this necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so.. just thought I'd point it out.

DSC02237.jpg

DSC02216.jpg

I decided to go with the Black Watch tartan wool. This will be a winter jacket and I was informed that this wool was just as warm as the alpaca lining that I was also considering. The lining is comfortable and although thinner than I expected I think it will do just fine during the winter months. The only real option I ordered was an inside pocket (thinking back I should have gotten two, but oh well). I kept the storm cuffs because this jacket will definitely see some cold New Jersey and Upstate NY winters.

DSC02219.jpg

DSC02223.jpg

I'm used to large, size 10 or 11 luggage weight zippers on my motorcycle leathers (even my Wested Indy came with a size 8) so I was a bit concerned when I saw this one. Believe it or not I was actually relieved when I saw the YKK on the back because at least I know it'll probably work better than a repro talon! I kept my hand in the pic so you can see how tiny the zip is.

DSC02225.jpg

Some more shots of the beautiful leather. I have to say that this is a much nicer horsehide than my LW and Schott put together. It feels like leather, not plastic. It's not grainy like my LW but that will come with time and wear. The hide used is flawless too.. my LW has numerous scars (they look like barbed wire punctures) and this Aero hide is perfect. Very nice.

DSC02221.jpg

DSC02215.jpg

DSC02221.jpg

Here's a final shot of the jacket in indoor lighting. It's a beautiful rich, dark cordovan.

DSC02213.jpg

I'll try to snap some pics of the jacket being worn. That is the area in which my only disappointment with this jacket is concerned (which is really quite an important area). But I'll get into that later... Enjoy the pics!

Tommer

Tommer45

As for the fit...

As I've read about numerous times before, Aero has problems with their large arm holes. This jacket is no different than those I've read about. My LW Suburban has this same problem, but the Aero isn't quite as bad. Here's a pic to see what I mean...

The jacket really rides up when you begin to lift your arms. This has been a problem on most of my other jackets. Funny that before I got into high end leathers, I never had fitment issues with the "mall" jackets I used to buy. Now that I shell out a lot more cash for these jackets its funny how they just never seem to fit right. There is also some resistance when reaching forward, but it's not as much of a problem as it is on my LW (which I almost never wear because of it). The LHB is tolerable at best when reaching forward or up, and I can only hope that with time and break in it'll get a little better.

DSC02234.jpg

Here are two more pictures of the jacket being worn. Forgive me as they are taken from quite far away and the sunlight cast major shadows on half the jacket. Other than the problem with the arm holes, the jacket is a pretty good fit. I gave Mark my measurements and told him I wanted to be able wear a heavy sweater under the jacket. He recommended a size 48 and to be honest I think anything other than a heavy long sleeve shirt will make the jacket too tight. I don't like a snug fit nor a baggy fit.. with a standard thickness t-shirt or long sleeve shirt the jacket is just the right size.

The shoulders are a bit boxy but I'm figuring that with wear they'll relax a little. As for the sleeves, they are about an inch longer than I'd like, but after they crease some they should be perfect. The length of the jacket is perfect.. most of my jackets come just below the belt so one of the things that attracted me to the LHB was the slightly longer length. It comes a few inches below the belt.. just the right amount for a winter jacket.

DSC02231.jpg

DSC02235.jpg

Am I disappointed with the slight discomfort when reaching forward and/or up? Yes of course.. though is it bad enough to warrant a return? Nah I don't think so. It's not nearly as bad as my LW (which I should have returned). And for a jacket in the ballpark of $600 you get very high quality and a very well put together jacket.. all for less than a lot of the competition. I think this jacket will be quite a daily wearer once the cold weather comes back into town.

Tommer

bseal

I was waiting for your review, 12 weeks became 6 months . . . D'oh!

Tom, what's the measurements like, shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to sleeve, etc.?

Do you like the bi-swing back?

Another solid review, thank you.

Falcon_52

The construction looks to be top-notch on that one - very nice indeed.

About the jacket riding up on you when you lift your arms: my Lost Worlds B-2 behaved much the same way at first due to the stiffness of the leather. Now that it has some serious mileage on it, the leather has relaxed and barely rides up at all. I think your jacket will loosen up over time as well. Plus with the bi-swing back it will probably become more comfortable in a shorter amount of time. You just need some October weather to go with your new jacket!

Thanks for the review and the pictures. Enjoy, Tommer!

Noel

fishmeok

Looks good- what's the armhole measurement ? In my limited experience that's the reason jackets ride up when you lift your arms. It looks like the armhole is cut more like a modern suitcoat- wide and deep. That looks good standing still, but the lack of the extra couple inches under the armhole pulls the entire jacket up when you lift your arms. May be a necessary trade off for the larger size though, I don't have much experience above a vintage 46.

Wish my stitching looked that good though, I'm back at jacket making after a couple months of house hunting and hellish moving and it's taking a bit to get my limited skills back.
Cheers
Mark

duke

Tommer,
I have a similar jacket that I have had about 6 months or so. I will snap some photos to compare. I also can't wait for it to break-in a bit. I think your jacket will only get better, albeit slowly. Duke

Tommer45

bseal said:
Tom, what's the measurements like, shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to sleeve, etc.?
Do you like the bi-swing back?

Hey Steve, here are a few measurements I just took (the jacket is a 48 regular);

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 22.5 inches
Shoulder seam to end of sleeve: 25.5 inches
Armpit to armpit: 25 inches
Bottom of collar to bottom of jacket (on the back): 29.5 inches

And yes I like the bi-swing back. Most of my leather jackets have the bi-swing and I think it definitely helps out with reaching forward on the LHB. If I didn't have it my movement would be much more restricted like on my LW.

Did you ever order anything new from Aero after they fudged your custom cafe racer? I can't recall any reviews after that one.

Tom

bseal

Tommer45 said:
Did you ever order anything new from Aero after they fudged your custom cafe racer? I can't recall any reviews after that one.

Tom

No, but a bootlegger with wide lapels, bi-swing back, and zippered sleeves in their seal goatskin would be something I might order.

Tommer45

Just figured I'd throw in that the LHB weighs in at exactly 7.0lb. Also, this is the most amazing leather I've ever owned. My LW feels like plastic compared to Aero HH. The more I handle this jacket the more I am amazed by how much I like it. Truly truly the nicest leather I've ever seen on a jacket.

Tommer

les_garten

Tommer45 said:
Just figured I'd throw in that the LHB weighs in at exactly 7.0lb. Also, this is the most amazing leather I've ever owned. My LW feels like plastic compared to Aero HH. The more I handle this jacket the more I am amazed by how much I like it. Truly truly the nicest leather I've ever seen on a jacket.

Tommer

My Aero FQHH had a serious body to them till they broke. Then they just go to butter! You just have to wear them enough to get that movement everywhere and then it goes slack. It shill has some body till it gets warmed up when I put it on, but nothing like LWs which I think will never break in. Defintely my fav also. the Vintage brown is a great color.

Les

A

Anonymous

les_garten said:
It still has some body till it gets warmed up when I put it on.
Les

That's a good point Les. I found that when I wore it in the cold it was too stiff and that the temperature needed to get some softness to the jacket was too warm to wear it :(

I still have a hankering for an Aero Trail Rider with plain cuffs for my motorbike............

J_H

Corey

Nice LHB. I really like the cordovan color as it's very rich and versatile in the colors it will match, IMO. I have the same jacket in brown FQHH. I also have a FQHH Highwayman. Both jackets literally took years to break in but were definitely worth the effort. They do take a little while to warm up and become pliable but this happens much more quickly once they're broken in.

Tommer45

Thanks for the compliments. I hope the weather stays cool here.. I'm looking forward to getting this jacket outdoors (I've certainly worn it enough in the house!). Great jacket.. beautiful leather.. love it.

Tommer

Tommer45

Figured it was about time I updated some pics of the LHB. Please excuse the crapiness of the pictures.. I just snapped 'em quick today after playing out in the snow with my daughter (hence a soaked spot on the jacket). The jacket is my cold weather daily wearer.. I've worn this thing for everything, from oil changes to fancy dinners.. the leather is amazing and continues to get nicer and nicer. It's incredible soft and feels nothing like any other leather jacket I own (which is a good thing.. this hh is amazing). Again I apologize for the not so great pics..and there are none of me wearing it.

P1000063.jpg

P1000057.jpg

P1000056.jpg

P1000064.jpg

P1000069.jpg

P1000062.jpg

P1000065.jpg

Tommer

Tommer45

newenglandcliff said:
Does the collar still slide up above your ears when you lift your arms?

Lifting my arms still isn't great. The jacket has loosened up a bit but it's still annoying. As for the collar, no it doesn't lift anymore.. the leather has become so pliable it just creases at the shoulders without causing much lift from the collar. The jacket is surprisingly comfortable in the car, too, which I thought it wouldn't be because of the length. If I could change one thing though, it would be to raise the bottom of the zipper tape about 2 inches which would make bending and sitting more comfortable. Those complaints aside, if I lost this jacket tomorrow I'd replace it in a heartbeat.

Man that looks great! Nice jacket Tom!
My Legendary HH is starting to loosen up and show some nice grain. I've been wearing it everyday since I got it.... until I bought the Langlitz that is! :D

Andreart

I have a very simmilar hide on an Aero bronco A-2. i'm getting too fat in the belly to wear it anymore ,but its awesome.