• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Legendary Hellcat G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Looking at this G-1. It appears to be well made, from a U.S. manufacturer in Illinois. Good price at $400. It is made of 3.0 ounce calf skin.
Anyone here familiar with this jacket?

TXFlyGuy

Thank you. It has side warmer pockets beneath the front pockets which was not in the original G-1 spec.

But today's G-1's do have the hand warmer pockets. Not a killer for me as I like this feature. Easy place to store car keys, etc.
The G-1's worn by the Blue Angels have these side entry pockets.

PADDY_M

Just depends on what "you " want and what fits with the look you like and your lifestyle I guess :)

If you're not hung up on the old school vintage "detail" of jackets and you appreciate the modern twist of side entry pockets then go for it. It is a modern take on the G1 (like the Top Gun badged Tom Cruisesque G1s).
Same as the Irvin type jackets with side pockets. Some folk like them because they're more practical these days on the High Street or Mall for keys, hands...etc :)

It is a modern 21st C jacket and merely nods to the vintage heritage of yesteryear. If that suits ... great!

Sadly can't comment on its quality as have never handled it.

TXFlyGuy

I have an A-2 from the same manufacturer. It is very well made. Yes, a modern copy of the G-1 or A-2 is fine for me. Not hung up on the "vintage detail" thing!

Garylafortuna

A point of interest. About a year ago one of the managers at Gibson & Barnes told me that they make the G-1 jackets for the Blue Angels. They produce both a civilian and a navy model, and I think the only difference is the hand warmer pockets.

TXFlyGuy

A point of interest. About a year ago one of the managers at Gibson & Barnes told me that they make the G-1 jackets for the Blue Angels. They produce both a civilian and a navy model, and I think the only difference is the hand warmer pockets.

G&B also made the one for President G.W. Bush. Cockpit USA claims to make the ones for the Navy. US Wings makes them for the Coast Guard, with side hand warmer pockets.

There are photos online that show The Blues wearing G-1's with obvious hand warmer pockets.

Roughwear

The original spec for the G-1 did not have hand warmer pockets. The examples you have cited are modern jackets based on the G-1 design. If you want to buy a G-1 with hand warmer pockets that's fine.

Current issued G-1s do not have hand warmer pockets. Yes, pilots modify them to have side entry pockets put in or they buy custom made jackets, like the Blue Angels with their G&B jackets. There are several pilots in my squadron that have taken their issued jackets to a tailor to have the side entry pockets put in. I have heard that current USCG jacket had side entry pockets, but I have not seen any current issued USCG jackets as of late. They were getting the same ones we were issued back in 2002, with the exception of USCG stamped in the wind flap. I am a purist when it comes to issued G-1s, I think they should be kept as is, as far as design. I do wish mine had a real mouton collar and not synthetic.