• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lee Riders - Japan Repros

Burnsie

As you can see I'm really into the Japan Lee repros - the attention to detail is meticulous and apart from a few concessions made re: Levi's copyrights (Lee can't exactly reproduce the Levi arcuate copies of the 30's-early 40's) these are really amazing jeans.
The pocket flashers are era appropriate works of art in themselves!
pocketflash.jpg

Here are the 1934 "Cowboy" work pants - triple felled seams so no selvedge, much like overalls - comfortable slim cut, riveted pockets, leather patch on the left side, buckle looks good but does not have the sharp prongs that poke through the denim:
34front.jpg

34back.jpg

34buckle.jpg

These are the 1936 101's - my latest pair as yet unwashed. Hopefully they'll snug up a bit because this model is VERY full cut. Hair on hide patch, buckle with sharp prongs, modified Levi style arcuates, I'm really looking forward to wearing these in!
36front.jpg

36back.jpg

36pocket.jpg

36buckle.jpg

36cuff.jpg

Burnsie

Here are a couple 50's models - first the 1952 101Z "James Dean" jeans: single sided selvedge, Universal zipper, left twill denim that wears AMAZINGLY close to the originals. 5 years of moderate wear and little washing on these:
52front.jpg

52back.jpg

52fly.jpg

52cuff.jpg

And the 1959 101's - your basic button fly Lee's (yes Lee still had the crotch rivet into the 60's!)
59front.jpg

59back.jpg

59fly.jpg

These can be had for around $200 a pair and are well worth seeking out - the attention to detail really is astonishing!

Happy Hooligan

those 36's are amazing... I have all LVC and have been wanting a pair of Lee's... I think I might have found them.

Grant

Hey Burnsie,
Thanks for posting the photos of your Lee repros. Couldn't agree with you more about what great denim they are.
I've been wearing my hair on hide Lee's and the past couple weeks and really digging them.

lee.jpg

Burnsie

Grant said:
Hey Burnsie,
Thanks for posting the photos of your Lee repros. Couldn't agree with you more about what great denim they are.
I've been wearing my hair on hide Lee's and the past couple weeks and really digging them.
Nice! Great creasing, they're gonna look better with every wear. As I said I'm really looking forward to breaking mine in! Are your "hair on hide"s the '36 or '39's?

Burnsie

bob capa said:
Hey Burnsie,

Where abouts are you getting your Lee's from?
You can get them from Aero Leather in Scotland or from Speedway-shop on ebay. I've gotten 2 from each!

Grant

Mine are the '36 Lee's bought from Aero as well. Burnsie's right they are cut much larger than the size indicated.

Happy Hooligan

if I'm a 34 waist, what size should I get in Lee's in say one of the 30's models? What's the shrinkage on those?

Grant

Hey Hooligan,
Not sure what size you need but for reference my '36 Lee's are tagged size 32 / my waist measurement is 35" and they fit perfectly. After washing once in cold water and hanging to dry there was very slight shrinkage in the waist. If you're uncertain of sizing I'd order from Aero, that way you can return em if they don't fit properly.

stanier

I'd like a pair of the 1942 Lees which I don't think Aero do. Jeans Neshi has them in largest size 34" which on their website is listed as 91cm, about 36" which is my size, but do they shrink much?

The website seems to be suggesting they shrink down a couple of inches, just wondering if anyone has the '42's, is this accurate?

Cheers all

Burnsie

Don't have the '42's but for reference on the pairs I posted the 1952's are 36 waist, the rest are 34 waist. The 1952's and 1959's run true to size, the 1934's are snug and the 1936's run large even after washing. ALL of them state on the labels that they are sanforized and to buy your exact size, they even carry the old guarantee that they will "fit after washing" however the sizing varies. The 1942's are the last model with right twill denim which seems to have more variance in how they will shrink/size (http://cgi.ebay.com/LEE-COWBOY-SELVEDGE ... tsupported) while the 1944's are the first models to introduce the classic Lee left twill denim which, at least in my experience, runs truer to size after washing. (http://cgi.ebay.com/LEE-RIDERS-DENIM-PA ... tsupported)

Willy McCoy

I have several pairs of Lee Cowboy Jeans BuckleBacks and a pair of "Rebel" 52's. They really do not shrink much and come in long inseam sizes that I need. I wear mine doing construction and they wear like iron. Levis shrink a lot and each pair shrinks differently. Levis do fade/break in very well though. I like both brands but lean towards the Lees more. Oh yeah, don't crease your cuffs because they'll wear right through. I roll mine a little different every time. Expensive lesson.

Grant

Here's a current photo of my old Edwin Lee's that Ken at Aero sold me years ago. These and the old Valencia St. LVC '47 501xx are the pairs that started this insane addiction.

LeefrontII.jpg

LeebackII.jpg

Happy Hooligan

those lee's look great grant!

I so need a pair... But I'm finding I'm one of "those" guys... the guy with lots of jeans, so many he can't possibly wear then all guy...

But I don't have a pair of lee's jeans...yet

Burnsie

Grant said:
Here's the hair on hide Lee's after over years wear and two washes.

Those look amazing - I've over washed mine trying to shrink them some so they don't look nearly that good - did you find the sizing to be really large on these? Not a bit like the 50's models which run true to size

Grant

Yeah, you're right, they're definitely sized much larger than labeled. Mine are marked sz. 32" but fit more like a 35" waist even after two washings.

High Iron

Those are very cool looking jeans.

I have no knowledge of the retro jeans thing so I'm assuming they are washed as little as possible to keep the indigo dark and let the high spots fade? Second question is, and again I'm assuming they don't get worn every day, how the hell do you wear jeans for a year or two with only a couple of washes and not have 'em smellin' like a ballsack after a couple months?