• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather Motorcycle Belt _ Need More Help

ChuckO

I'm trying to make this motorcycle belt myself. I don't know if Buco originated it in the 50's but Real McCoy is selling it for $600. I don't want to pay that so I'm making my own. Does anyone know where to get the rhinestone's and the metal housing they are in (see below)? That's really the only thing getting in my way. I've seen the cheap home crafter version of the rhinestone with metal base that is all over the web but I'm looking for the exact thing. I hope this isn't too far off topic. Also anyone who has seen the new version or a real one any info on the details would be greatly appreciated.

main.jpg

Re: Leather Motorcycle Belt

Making those things by hand is a nightmare and you will never get that clean factory kickpressed setting. I speak from some experience.
Best bet is buy an original, they are often on eBay (well-listed often but some deeply buried/mislisted), or buy a quality repro like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STYLE-ACE-H ... dZViewItem

expensive but worth it.

As John Lever says: life is so short.

ChuckO

It's great to find somebody who knows about them. What does "clean factory kickpressed setting" mean? How long ago did you try to make one and are the parts available out there? Ultimately I might be interested in making them for sale.

Jame Miller

I have seen the studs and jewels at a Tandy leather store here in florida. I though about doing the belt on one of my jackets.

ChuckO

Jame Miller said:
I have seen the studs and jewels at a Tandy leather store here in florida. I though about doing the belt on one of my jackets.

I bought those myself from the local Tandy to build a prototype to learn from. The jewels they sell (at least at my local store) aren't the same as on the belts. It looks from the pictures I've seen like the metal housing for the jewels and the jewels are seperate pieces. The Tandy stuff just has a metal backing. The Tandy studs seem fine though.

ChuckO

Miles_Archer said:
Making those things by hand is a nightmare and you will never get that clean factory kickpressed setting. I speak from some experience.
Best bet is buy an original, they are often on eBay (well-listed often but some deeply buried/mislisted), or buy a quality repro like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-STYLE-ACE-H ... dZViewItem

expensive but worth it.

As John Lever says: life is so short.

The Ace Speedway site on eBay is also very cool I have to say. Great stuff.

zoomer

There is always going to be a difference between handmade by an amateur and handmade by a pro with the tools and secrets of the trade. It may not be visible at 10 feet, but at 2 feet it will be glaringly obvious.

If I'm pontificating again, Miles, you may feel free to Foe me, and I'll do likewise for you.
No animosity implied therein - just mutual radio silence, ie: *plonk*

zoomer said:
If I'm pontificating again, Miles, you may feel free to Foe me, and I'll do likewise for you.
No animosity implied therein - just mutual radio silence, ie: *plonk*

???

ChuckO said:
It's great to find somebody who knows about them. What does "clean factory kickpressed setting" mean? How long ago did you try to make one and are the parts available out there? Ultimately I might be interested in making them for sale.

The original belts were mass-produced in shops/factories that used powerful kickpress machines to insert the studs and jewels very quickly and cleanly (if you examine the back of a vintage stud belt you'll note that the prongs of the studs and jewels are all perfectly crimped exactly the same.) It would not be impossible to source the old machines and put together a workshop (I know someone who has), but it will be expensive and and you will need a decent amount of space to do it. Setting the studs/jewels by hand can be done but it is very time-consuming and not practical businesswise.

ChuckO

Any idea where the jewels and metal surrounds can be found? I noticed on the ebay page for the belt in the first reply it said all the parts they used were American made. Even if it's not perfect I really want to try to make one.

Is the person you know making them in the US or is he doing something else with the same machines?

If I tried to make them for sale I would look into having something made to help automate the cutting of the stud holes. That would seem like the toughest part.

joeson

I remember asking a friend in Japan about where he got his studs and he said Standard rivet/stud? company,or something like that.I believe they are an American outfit,so a search should throw up something.

ChuckO

You guys are unbelievable! Thanks.

Wow! That's the motherload. They've got everything you need except the belt.

ChuckO

joeson said:
I remember asking a friend in Japan about where he got his studs and he said Standard rivet/stud? company,or something like that.I believe they are an American outfit,so a search should throw up something.

Do you know what He used for the white areas? Thin leather or vinyl or something?

pablocham

I encourage you to make it yourself. Get a piece of styrofoam and cut it to the width of the belt that you will use and then set up the layout of the studs on the styrofoam. I made a fairly simple one--all brass spots on an old leather belt. I have some leatherwork experience and it took me about an hour. As Miles says, the back will look ugly, but you can probably get the look right on the outside. I have been too busy/lazy to make a more intricate one, but might eventually get around to it.

Legendary USA sells spots, but there is probably somebody with a better price: http://www.legendaryusa.com/Nickel_Jewe ... jewels.htm

ChuckO

Thanks for the encouragement! I am going to do it. I've already got a prototype I've been working on and I'm going to start on a decent belt soon. I'm thinking I'm going to try to sell them.

Do you have any other info on how they are made? I'm assuming the white area of the belt is leather but I suppose it might also be vinyl.

ChuckO

Miles_Archer said:
On my old belts the white is always either vinyl or reflective tape.

Really, What brand were they? Did Harley make them? Did they hold up well?

les_garten

ChuckO said:
You guys are unbelievable! Thanks.

Wow! That's the motherload. They've got everything you need except the belt.

Geez, you guys are somethin else!! Don't you even have TV's where you live? Sheesh, sometimes I think I gotta do everything for everybody...

I bought this: http://www.mybedazzler.com/?cid=469291

and made this with it: http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Leather_Mo ... Custom.htm

What a bunch of losers....

<Disclaimer> The previous posting was a Parody of a real Posting to occur later in this space and time frame </disclaimer>

les_garten

p.s ChuckO, let us know how you come out on this, that's a Kewl Belt! Lost Worlds Used Swarowski Crystal on my Jacket for the Jewels.

les