• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leather for patches

Hunter57

I have a custom patch idea in mind. It would involve multiple pieces, and I'm hoping for some guidance on what type and weight of leather to use. Can anyone point me in the right direction for types, sources, etc?

A

Anonymous

Hi You did not give me enough info ,do you want color leather or leather to paint are you making a 5" patch .First if you can get goat leather thats the best to work with but hard to get in colors .My self I use leather from ladies hand bags bought from the salvation army thrift store .The reason for this is because it is the finest leather out there ,it comes in many colors and it is very thin and you will appreciate this when you fabricate a patch.Also their broken in clean but used ,new leather does not look the part .Also they are cheap between $3.00 to $7.00 a bag .I would stay away from lambskin the surface is fragile and it distorts when you sew it and will not lay flat .How thick I would say 1 oz leather or thinner .Good luck maybe some other member might be able to add more to this .Always check the label inside the pocket book to make sure it is leather some are not and sometimes it is hard to tell without cutting them up.The faux leather is used on even high end pocket books (handbags).Good luck and post your creation once it is finished .

Al the best Jeff

Hunter57

It'll be painted, in part, but it's a left shoulder patch, no more than 3.5". I'd like to find a reputable source for the leather.

A

Anonymous

Hi punch in craft goatskin leather on ebay .Reputable source, its all in China now! and the wholesale houses in New York only sell complete hides .You could try a shoe repair shop they have access to leather ,failing that try John Chapman I sure he has a ton of scraps .All the best Jeff

shedonwanna

I use the following site for veg tanned goathide which I can stain or paint to need. Check your local area for shoe repair supply - they may have some glazed kidskins you can pick out in person; a small hide should run around $30 or less.

https://www.siegelofca.com/default.asp

cbi_pieced.jpg

I am really glad to see our forum members trying their hand at making patches and jackets. Everyone should try some form of artwork...

A

Anonymous

Hi Thanks for that post most interesting ,I personally do not use goatskin myself because of the risk from anthrax and not knowing the source from which it came from.Did you make that patch it looks great,people do not realise how difficult it is to make this one and look right until they try to make it.Here is some history of the patch

Ex-CBI Roundup
December 1982 Issue

By L. Robert Castorr, Col., USA Inf. (Ret.)

While visiting with General Frank "Pinky" Dorn, one of our early rugged infantry comrades of the CBI and just shortly before he passed away on July 26,1981, he related the history and origin of how this distinguished patch came into being. I pass on his remarks presented to me for those of our readers who may find the story of interest.

It was after the long ordeal of the May 1942, walkout over the Chin Hills of Burma with Stilwell that the then Lt. Col. Dorn, as aide-de-camp to "Vinegar Joe," arrived in India. This sad rag tagged remnant of the American contingent of the Chinese Expeditionary Force could not be classified as troops in uniform due to the wear and tear that was encountered through the jungles and mountains in reaching their destination and freedom from the enemy.

Since there was no U.S. supply depot or a quartermaster issue station to draw upon for new clothing that was so badly needed immediately, the British offered their uniform stock, as an expedient, to the Americans.

All was well, until our well deserved men frequented the local pubs and indulged in their thirst craven beer or other long deprived spirits. Thus mixing company with our British compatriots and perhaps becoming a little more boisterous than usual, a call to arms was initiated by British M.P.'s along with a few banged heads and a trip to the brig resulting.

When Gen. Stilwell was so informed, he would not accept that "his boys" were as bad as all that and felt that, just maybe, the British were more involved in this drinking bout and disturbing the so-called peace of the countryside. That evening, Col. Dorn having dinner with The Boss, as he was affectionately called, was given the assignment of coming up with a unique identifying feature that the Americans could be differentiated from the British since their uniforms were alike. This did present the problem as to who was doing what to whom.

Later that evening, Col. Dorn returned to his hotel room and went to work sketching some ideas for identification means. Once having accomplished his desire for a patch truly unique, the following morning had him running down one of our well known Hindustani tailors and telling him to go to work and have ready at least a half dozen completed versions of his design by that evening. This same evening and again having dinner with the top man, Gen. Stilwell spotted the unusual, out of the ordinary, and bright contrasting insignia on the khaki left arm shoulder high shirt of his aide-de-camp. He remarked, "Pinky, what's that?" pointing at the insignia. Dorn replied, "You told me to come up with something to identify our men from those of the British. Well, this is it! Do you like it?" A further hard look and then another and then the exclamation coming forth from Gen. Stilwell by his statement that "It was great!"

Col. Dorn then reached into his pocket, anticipating that his patch would be acceptable, handed the General a few of the newly tailored handicraft insignias and suggested that he too have them sewed on his shoulder sleeve. The General countered with an order to Dorn to round up every tailor in town to put them to work making similar patches and wanting several thousand made, as soon as possible. His reason, he stated, was expecting new American replacements for the continued fight against the Japanese and he wanted to be ready with the issue.

Thus, the most beautiful patch in the history of our Armies was launched. It should be noted that this patch of ours was the only patch ever designed and utilized for a theater of war. All others conceived were for Armies, Corps, Divisions, Regiments, Squadrons and the like, but never for participants in a campaign within a theater such as China, Burma and India. Something to think about and reflect upon with a proudness that each of us can enjoy.

And here is the official size radius and other good stuff /
http://www.cbi-history.com/part_xii_cbi_patch2.html

All the best Jeff

shedonwanna

Yes, I made the CBI patch. I have fashioned some layered patches and chits over the years. I do the cut, paint, glue portion then have a local bootmaker do the sewing. I also do some inlays he uses for his boots. Probably a higher risk of anthrax when working with goatskins from some parts of the world but still very rare in humans. I usually stear clear of cattle operations when traveling overseas... I worry more about salmonella in my peanut butter!

icwatce.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi thats another passion of mine boots, I bought these from Jeff little of Little boots in Texas before he retired ,they are ostrich and I had a hand in designing them .I guess you must live in the south west ?.Why dont you post some more of your creations ,I am always interested in other peoples work so I can learn more and perfect my craft .

029-1.jpg

030-1.jpg

Best regards Jeff

Vcruiser

shedonwanna said:
Yes, I made the CBI patch. I have fashioned some layered patches and chits over the years. I do the cut, paint, glue portion then have a local bootmaker do the sewing. I also do some inlays he uses for his boots. Probably a higher risk of anthrax when working with goatskins from some parts of the world but still very rare in humans. I usually stear clear of cattle operations when traveling overseas... I worry more about salmonella in my peanut butter!

icwatce.jpg

Hey DM
Do you still have your website..? I still have a couple patches that I ordered several years ago. If so..please link us up!
Van

shedonwanna

Nice boots! I've always wanted a pair of custom boots and am thinking of a Texas Aggie theme. I live near Houston and have been lurking around the rodeo the last week and just got in from the Taylor Swift concert - my daughters choice; I am more of a Clint Black fan. Never been too interested in western wear but like boots.

Hi Van, it has been some time. The old epson hosting site decided to shut down. Photobucket turns out to be better until I can find time to work on the web site; you can find some of my recent work on the "bucket". I visit vlj often and see many old friends posting here. I also learn from seeing other artists work and am quite willing to pass along any knowledge I have.

http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c169/dlmiller/patches/

462ndbg.jpg

A

Anonymous

Hi I just visited your photbucket site page ,your very talented sir .I do like your work how long have you been doing it ,and where do you get your source material .For me getting good renditions of original patches is the hardest part for me .

Rgds Jeff

shedonwanna

DUBOWA2 said:
Hi I just visited your photbucket site page ,your very talented sir .I do like your work how long have you been doing it ,and where do you get your source material .For me getting good renditions of original patches is the hardest part for me .

Rgds Jeff

Thanks, I've been painting for almost twenty years. Started painting for the 388th BG reunions and things mushroomed from there. My dad was a navigator with the 563rd squadron and I attend all of the reunions; I am even a past president of the association. Vintage jackets show up at reunions and I have also been to most of the major flight museums. Other sources have been Maguire's books and the internet. Also get many examples from veterans and family to reproduce/copy. I like to paint from vintage patches but often have to use "official" artwork or black and white photos. I paint more for current/active units now. I also like to paint watercolors and pastels.

Check out this site. They have some good examples of vintage patches and examples of the reproductions I painted. Search the net for other associations, they often have examples of vintage insignia/artwork.

http://320thbg.org/320th_memorabilia.html