• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leather fobs on zips

Pete17

Hi guys, I notice that a lot of repro jackets are getting shipped these days with a leather fob on the zip puller. I have seen the odd pic of these fitted to original jackets back in WW2 but they don't seem to have been common.

I removed the fob on my new ELC Monarch.
Do you guys prefer them to be fitted?

tibor

I kinda like em for my daily wearer... Just easier to grab quickly. I honestly don't know how often they were used during the war... I would think they'd be handy when you're wearing gloves, but I don't remember ever seeing them in old pics.

CBI

pretty common BOTH ways in WW2. I don't think they lasted long so lots of guys w/o them in pics. Looking at class pictures of large groups of guys in newish A-2's, there is a mix of pull and no pull. Check the vintage photos on the Good Wear site.

Marv

ive always removed the leather puller from my A2s as i personally think they look better without but on the M422a and G1s there are a must and really make the look of the zipper.

Silver Surfer

andrew is on the money here. the puller tabs on originals and repros are small, thus to get a good grip, a leather puller, bomb tag, tool tag, etc works better when wearing gloves. these additions also ease the stress on the zipper puller, and zipper teeth. when i make a leather puller, i make it long enough to be able to knot at the bottom, thus making a kinda bulb that is a sure grip. this i do with the leather wet so that when it dries, it tightens up real good, and will not come undone.