• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Langlitz

eighty7h

Thanks Van. It's very similar to the Lassie Come Home Langlitz, which I really like but with fewer options and a few cosmetic differences. I am glad I went with the medium weight leather. I was a little undecided so I just followed their recommendation and the medium is very substantial. I think I am really going to enjoy this jacket.

mtds

[/quote]

eighty7h:
Beautiful jacket. I think the dark brown color will age well and the contrasting stitching was a great idea. No extra exterior pockets keeps it simple and it looks like a fit. Brfore soon, when you put it on, you will hear those words: "Hello, friend."

eighty7h

Thanks mtds. I am enjoying the jacket a bunch. We're not quite on an "old friend" basis yet; but I can tell that we will get there and probably before long; since I have been trying to wear it as much as possible. I appreciate the nice comments. I wasn't sure about the contrasting thread at first, but I am really getting to like the look of it. My two Langlitz jackets are probably best fit of any that I own. I am very pleased with both of them.

My Horsehide Langlitz Colombia was a California Highway Patrol Motor Officer's jacket back in the 1950's. It is 60 years old and still in fantastic condition! It is my favorite daily jacket when I ride my Harley. These jackets will last at least 100 years or more.

IMG_4665-L.jpg

IMG_4669-L.jpg

eighty7h

I would have to agree. Mine both feel like they could last 100 years...particularly this newest one. I've seen some pretty old ones and they seem to hang in there for a long time.

mtds

sealbeachbum said:
My Horsehide Langlitz Colombia was a California Highway Patrol Motor Officer's jacket back in the 1950's.

Bill, does your jacket have special features other than the badge patch and the provision for a fur collar? Like wrist linings or a back belt strap or special-purpose pockets? Thanks.

mtds said:
sealbeachbum said:
My Horsehide Langlitz Colombia was a California Highway Patrol Motor Officer's jacket back in the 1950's.

Bill, does your jacket have special features other than the badge patch and the provision for a fur collar? Like wrist linings or a back belt strap or special-purpose pockets? Thanks.
I don't think so.

regius

Aging/Browning of black cowhide

Most black hides, even when fully dyed through, tend to show white when freshly scrapped. Except the high end "over dye" from Johnson or FQHH from Aero (even the black from Aero). However, it seems that in time, with enough sun exposure or something, the whiteness age into brown, and the whole jacket turns brown. Am I observing a browning reaction of the leather??

The Terminator II jacket by Bates was black when new, in the 1990s, but the artificial aging, or time, has turned it dark brown.

I wonder how you can age the white underneath to brown?

eighty7h

Another Langlitz. Just took delivery of a new Crescent about three weeks ago. It is black goatskin with only the additions of elbow patch pads and one additional interior pocket. The thread color is brown. Pretty much a stock Crescent with a Cossack collar. Like my other Langlitz jackets it is perfect for riding. As usual they got the fit just right. As you can tell, I am very happy with it. I don't have any photos yet, but will add some when I do. The wait time was less than a month...not bad at all!

pawine

eighty7h said:
Another Langlitz. Just took delivery of a new Crescent about three weeks ago. It is black goatskin with only the additions of elbow patch pads and one additional interior pocket. The thread color is brown. Pretty much a stock Crescent with a Cossack collar. Like my other Langlitz jackets it is perfect for riding. As usual they got the fit just right. As you can tell, I am very happy with it. I don't have any photos yet, but will add some when I do. The wait time was less than a month...not bad at all!

Look forward to seeing it. I received a black goat with brown stitching a couple of months ago (Cascade) and really love that combination.

eighty7h

Thanks. This is my second jacket with the black leather/ brown thread combination and I think it looks pretty sharp. My other is from Johnson Leathers...the heavy black overdye cowhide. It is a nice jacket; and I can't complain because I knew what I was getting into, but very difficult to break in. The Langlitz goat as you know is comfortable right away. I am kind of sold on it.

Superglide

mtds said:

eighty7h:
Beautiful jacket. I think the dark brown color will age well and the contrasting stitching was a great idea. No extra exterior pockets keeps it simple and it looks like a fit. Brfore soon, when you put it on, you will hear those words: "Hello, friend."[/quote]

That's beautiful. I really like the dark brown these guys do. That whole creation looks great. Congratulations.

eighty7h

Thanks very much. I like it a lot and it seems to just get better as time passes. A really good jacket for riding.

mtdsstumps

Almost forgot... this is the Cascade that made me fall in love with the style. The guy who owns this one used to be on the forum.. not quite sure if he still is. Love the jacket though..the two tone looks awesome. If I remember correctly he originally bought the jacket without padding.. and then years later had shoulder and elbow padding added and the leather was a different shade. Looks great though.

Cascade1973.jpg

Tommer
Can't believe that you are still here, Tommer! I'm back, as mtdsstumps. I got discouraged and quit when all my "Inexpensive Jacket" posts' pics were deleted when I changed image hosts. Anyway I bought that jacket new in October 1972 for $78. It was originally a Cascade with "dress" collar, but it looked out-of-balance to me and I sent it back to have the collar replaced with a Cossack collar. (Langlitz sewed on the "Triumph" patches to cover some of the original collar snaps' holes.) If you look at the picture below, I stitched around the holes left in the tips of the lapels. That was a job. Anyway, I wore the hell out of that jacket. As you said, I sent it back to Langlitz a second time for the protective padding and had to settle for the darker brown because they no longer had the original shade of brown leather in stock.
Cascade collar.jpg

W mc#08-70 TR6R.jpg

Last edited:

regius

It's funny the way I commented on the browning of the black jackets....now reading it, doesn't seem to be very coherent LOL. But, going back to the original post, saying that the Langlitz cowhide stands on its own. I have only handled three Langlitz, all cowhides, but they don't strike me as the stiff kind that stands, my current cascade is 90% new, no sign of wear, but it's' also supple and compliant, doesn't stand. I wish one day I could visit the Langlitz shop.

Juanito

I can't believe that I haven't noticed this thread. Here my Langlitz 10 pocket in the heaviest leather they carry. Personally, I am not a fan of all the pockets and zippers--I bought off the used rack at Langlitz; it was a jacket made for someone who didn't like the fit, so they made him another. I couldn't pass up the deal on an essentially a new jacket that fit like it was made for me at about half price. It helps that I work about five miles from the shop, although I haven't been by for probably three years.

Last edited: