• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.W Foster AN-j-3a

chamboid

Just picket up this lovely jacket in a bit of a bargain.

Always liked this reasonably rare contact, and pre-cursor to the well known Foster 55J14 contact and first G-1 designation

Many of the details are identical, left pen pocket extra stich like the G&F M-422a. Slim waist torso with broader chest and shoulders, and rounded more open collar shape and even the U.S.N 'script' font on the AN-J-3a and 55J14 contacts are identical on a few. AN series normally having the dual forces U.S stamp.

The elliptical saucer shaped buttons which are specific to only a few of the AN-J-3a contracts, like Bogen Tannenbaum are a nice little rare detail.

As for the jacket it self the leather is a nice deal brown shade which is richly pebbled and light, much lighter than the 55j14's I have handled. The cuffs have been replaced but waistknit original and in great shape.

It seems the zip has been period replaced with a brass Talon, which operates smoothly, and has replaced the small tooth brass Conmar (seen on lots of b-10 jackets)

The lining is in great shape with not trips or years and retains its salmon shade, thought the spec tag does seem to have been removed and replaced slightly below its original position.

The mouton is in good shape of worn and matted, but has really nice different shades of shading.
And under the collar a faint yellow stamp is present but indedecipherable.

Another nice little touch is the pilots name stamped inside the jacket.

All in all very happy with the jacket, fits well, and is in good condition.

chamboid

Thanks Dave, here it is. Just about make out the N buts that's all. And surprised its yellow as opposed to the usual white.

This is the more usual type of stamp.

Peter Graham

Very nice. They are a beautiful contact. I've always regretted selling mine. As you can see, mine was the same contract but the lining is dark brown, near the same colour as the jacket. As you mention that the label has been re sewn, is it possible that the lining has been replaced ?

chamboid

No I've now owned 3 L.W Foster AN-J-3a contacts and all have had the salmon pink lining. Yours is the rarity.

It is and interfering contaract isn't it.