• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B variations

deand

The L-2A, L-2B, versions of USAF nylon are my favorites, and nylon itself being my fabric of flight jacket choice, truth be told. Yet, I still need to learn more about the variations this design went through, such as this one I found on ebay. Aside from the elimination of epaulets and storm flap at the base of the zipper, this has the slash pocket style of an MA-1. I know I could buy one of those expensive books from the land of the rising sun to learn more, and proably will, but until then I 'd like to know the sequence of alteration in design of the L-2B, going from pocket flaps, to none, to back again. Thanks to any and all who might respond.
325203801_o.jpg

325203888_o.jpg

dean

watchmanjimg

Dean:

The L-2B design began to change noticeably with the introduction of the MIL-J-7448D of 11 August 1960, which lacks the oxygen mask tab of its predecessors and also has a reversible design incorporating an orange lining. Subsequent models lack the winged-star USAF decal on the left shoulder. A 1965 Alpha Industries contract eliminated the epaulets but retained the waist tab, and later that same year the tab was also deleted (MIL-J-7448G, 13 September 1965). This design lasted until 1970, when the pocket flaps came back. The zippers were also changed from blackened brass to plain aluminum. We can only assume that the pocket flaps were determined to be a practical necessity while the epaulets were merely a cosmetic feature (although I personally wish the original design was retained).

Aside from the stylistic changes to the L-2B, it has been my observation that the jacket's fit has changed over the years to the point where certain contracts are more or less likely to fit well. For instance, I have found that L-2Bs produced in 1964 and the later 1965 contract (without waist tab) consistently run longer in the body than their predecessors. Earlier models run short in my experience (although I've heard that the 7448B produced by Rolen Sportswear runs a bit longer), as do later versions except those produced in 1969 and certain 1970 contracts. The foregoing can hardly be characterized as an exhaustive scientific study, but I have yet to be disappointed with the fit of an L-2B purchased according to my formula.

As a huge fan of nylon I can only hope this information is helpful to you and generates further discussion of the subject.

Jim

USMC_GAU-21

I agree, the L-2B is a very interesting study in the "overall fit" department. The Rolen I have is much longer then say my Alpha. Remember the L-2B is a "light Zone" Jacket and there fore I think built a little slender then say a Light Zone Leather A-2.

But as you stated with your formula, many jackets are different because of the manufacturers interpretation of the MIL-SPEC. The epaulets were removed possibly for the interferring with the actual flight gear the pilot or crewman was wearing. I guess we have to remember these jackets were worn during the performance of their duties. but also worn after hours at the bar! ;)

Same goes with the pocket flaps. Never know when you are going to turn that airplane upside down, don't need stuff falling in the cockpit, out of your pockets....

But I agree, I like the epaulets, and the darkened zippers. Plain aluminum always makes me think "commercial" or "Repro", although I know its not.

Anyways the L-2, L-2A, L-2B are for sure a jacket that went through a maturation phase like all flight gear.

Great info Jim thanks!

r/Gy Dan

watchmanjimg

USMC_GAU-21 said:
I guess we have to remember these jackets were worn during the performance of their duties. but also worn after hours at the bar! ;)

Welcome aboard, Gunny, and well said. Whereas real aviators didn't have to worry so much about the length of their flight jackets over a one-piece coverall, it's a big concern for those who spend most of their time with belly to the bar. :lol: Thus, the variations in length are crucial when you're hoping to wear an L-2B over civilian clothing like most of us.

By the way, I've been meaning to complement you on your fantastic collection. How about survival gear?

Jim

Atticus

I think I count ten variations of the L-2B since the first edition. Here's some photos from my collection that illustrate a few of the changes over the years. I don't have an F or G model which would have a zipper box flap but no epaulettes.

The photos are: B-model Rolen (1955?), D-model Skyline (1961), H-model Satellite (1967), J-model Alpha (1972).

wisconsin158.jpg

wisconsin159.jpg

wisconsin119.jpg

carolinagame008.jpg

AF

USMC_GAU-21

Jim,

Thanks, I have been collecting on and off. I really have the bug lately it seems....ever since I retired.

I have USAF, and USN survival gear. I have a C-1 vest and a Radio Carrier vest. I also have and you can see by the pictures, the cold weather masks, gloves, I also have some USAF Blue and OD USAF Shade Mukluks. Various knives, (TL) and Survival knives, flashlights and various odds and ends. Really trying to get more survival gear from the late 1947 - 1980 time frame. The WWII survival gear has just skyrocketed in prices these days. But, when I see it I buy it. My radio carrier vest was at a swap meet and it was $1.50 :roll: ....had to get it. Didn't have any singles on me, so I gave the guy a fiver and told him to keep the change. He was happy...I was happy.

Looking forward to chatting about Nylon around here.

Cheers!

Gy Dan

USMC_GAU-21

Just excellent examples of the variations on the L-2B, Thanks for posting. They are just gorgeous! Love the Rolen '55

My kind of Nylon.

r-Gy

Atticus

USMC_GAU-21 said:
Just excellent examples of the variations on the L-2B, Thanks for posting. They are just gorgeous! Love the Rolen '55

My kind of Nylon.

r-Gy

Thanks. I actually sold the Rolen to another forum member sometime back. It was just a tad short to suit me. About the only L-2Bs I wear now are my '72 Alphas. Both provide very generous fits to cover my fat self.

AF

Maverickson

Speaking of variations between L-2B jackets, I just checked my two! The large size 1970 model Alpha has what I would suppose to be a just ample 24" LOA. On the other hand my extra large size 1961 Skyline comes in at 22.25".

In spite of the fact that one jacket is shorter than the other they both still seem to fit equally as well for me. The fact that Skyline jacket fits me at all can be attributed to it's ample dimensions. I found that with the larger sized jacket I can wear it lower without compromising mobility.

I do not know if I ever thanked you Jim but you were a big help with making my decision as to what version L-2b I should seek to ensure that my second L-2b jacket would be a good fit :D . Through your guidance I believe that I ultimately made a good choice. Not to mention, I just now took that Alpha off having come home from an afternoon outing.

Cheers, Dave

watchmanjimg

Dave:

As always, it's my pleasure to have been of service. If I recall correctly, I advised you to buy that '70 Alpha based on the notion that it was from a contract that ran longer in the body than some others. Unfortunately my conclusions were accurate--as I recall you were going to pass it on to me if it didn't fit. :twisted:

Who says honesty is the best policy? :lol:

deand

Thanks for your responses! I always figured things like the epaulets, storm flap and pocket flaps were dropped simply to make production of the jacket cheaper; less material, less production steps, therefore less cost, assuming of course defense contracts would be negotiated to include such changes.

dean