• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L-2B patch project finished at last

Peter Graham

I’ve finally got this jacket finished and I’m chuffed with it. I picked it up off eBay for $18, in need of a full set of knits and a dry clean. Turns out that it’s quite a rare jacket as it’s a transitional contract. This contract retained the zipper flap but dispensed with the epaulettes and pocket flaps. Strange how the pocket flaps were done away with on L-2B’s around the same time that they were added to MA-1’s. Perhaps they had a load of pocket flaps going spare ! After dry cleaning and a set of Mash knits I had what was a nearly pristine jacket so it took a bit of soul searching before I committed myself to having the insignia added. Some might dispute the wisdom of adding insignia to an original jacket but as originals go it’s pretty much bottom rung. This ain't no original A-2. I’ve patched the jacket to represent a Vietnam era senior aircrewman of the 282nd assault helicopter company of the 1st Army aviation brigade , based at Marble mountain east of DaNang . I’ve managed to source original period insignia with the possible exception of the Alley Cats patch but if it’s a repro, it’s a good one. A clue to the forum member who gave me huge amounts of help in putting the jacket together can be found on the name strip. ;) My Lithuanian seamstress put the whole thing together using original thread, also from Mash, and I think she’s done a great job, maybe too neat ! I kept asking myself why I was putting this together as I hesitate to wear patched jackets but the whole thing has turned out pretty subtle so it should get a lot of wear come the Spring.

l-2b002.jpg

l-2b003.jpg

l-2b004.jpg

l-2b005.jpg

l-2b006.jpg

Atticus

Killer jacket, Peter.

Back when I was patching jackets, this one was always my favorite...1st Brigade - 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), circa 1972. On a 1972 Alpha.

carolinagame008.jpg

AF

watchmanjimg

Peter, the jacket looks and fits great. I'm happy to have been a part of the project. Wear it proudly and in good health!

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
Back when I was patching jackets, this one was always my favorite...1st Brigade - 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile), circa 1972. On a 1972 Alpha.
I remember that jacket well Geoff. It's what inspired me to patch an L-2B in the first place.

rich

You are the restoration man Peter - I remember how well your B-3 came out too, and like that, I think this is brilliant.