• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Killer USN M1 Fixed Bail with Hawley liner

a2jacketpatches

I'm sure certain guys here know exactly what I'm talking about just by my title. I've had my share of fixed bails, swivel bails etc. but picking this up this morning at the swap meet was quite a treat. A guy had this and the bayonet together and said he picked up at a the yard sale of an old timer that passed and that's all he could tell me. At first I thought What the? Close examination show a blotchy cammo looking pattern and a couple of symbols in what appears to be a wash of silver paint over gray. It reminds me of a couple German M42's I picked up many years ago that appeared to have dried mud on them but when wet a very distinctive green, red brown, and tan cammo popped out. This has the same obscure weird look to it, another reason I believe it to be original to war time service. The even wear and patina throughout is equally aged and looks right as rain. I'm guessing this one served early war in the USN and the bayonet is a bringback. I can see a guy wearing this helmet with an M422. The Hawley liner is solid with honest wear in the right places, it seems to have been with this helmet from birth with the puckered in rivet sections, and I felt as if I was separating conjoined twins when I carefully pulled it out. From what I read, the fixed bail has early hardware and it is nicely intact. For you other guys in the know, what's your thoughts on the camouflage?

foster

Excellent find! The camo is difficult for me to see, almost looks like winter whitewash that has worn away. It's an early helmet and early liner for certain. The markings are also intriguing. Sort of reminds me of a crude rendition of the 327th glider infantry, except it is only on one side and not the same size as usually seen.

Phantomfixer

Nice setup......the Hawley liner alone is $$$$$ great score... I wish I had your flea market around here!!!!
I picked up a M1 with hawley liner that was toast and it still sold for $$$... good luck with the sale

a2jacketpatches

The liner has what looks like Henry ( Peawee ) Barron written on it in pen, so when Sean mentioned 327 GIR, I looked up a roster and here's what I found. No wonder there was next to zero input on USMF, lack of response actually hike up my hopes a bit but Sean, THANKS BUD!!!!! An ID'd helmet of a glider troop is worth a small mint and is gonna solve a lot of problems for me.

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!

The 327th Glider Infantry Regiment
Roll of Honor A - B

SGT. Henry Barrott Company B, Location Belgium, 12/44

dujardin

that's a greattttttttttttt catch

splendid helmet and liner

and named

fabulous

(here in Belgium) (or also in France) you can make lots of cash

ausreenactor

foster said:
Wow, even better!!!! Big money!!!

Great find... I had a similar tale in the late 90s. I found a 'US Army Airbone Helmet' on eBay.com.au and won it at AU$80. When it arrived it had a five digit service number. I emailed a mate in Perth and it belonged to an AATTV member who did two tours with 5th SFGA and did one of only a handful of the Aussie combat jumps. I sold it for US$425 which came out to just under AUD$800. Which I promptly re-invested in more US WWII kit.

Well done!! Your shout at Toby Keith's @ Harrahs!! ;)

a2jacketpatches

Yeah Couchy, Guys on the USMF are knocking it to hell and other guys are giving it thumbs ups and positive possibilities. I can't say for sure, the last letters of the name are barely visible and the thought of it being Airborne is based on the circumstantial evidence of the emblem, winter type cammo, and a name very similar to a Battle of the bulge KIA, Others are saying many other possibilities from Navy helmet to a kid playing war and other things.

Yep, next time is on me, but let us not restrict ourselves to Toby's in a place like Vegas, our boys can cruise us up and down the strip in the hot rod while we get sauced.

watchmanjimg

Phantomfixer said:
Nice setup......the Hawley liner alone is $$$$$ great score... I wish I had your flea market around here!!!!
I picked up a M1 with hawley liner that was toast and it still sold for $$$... good luck with the sale

I read the entire USMF thread this morning and would prefer not to add fuel to the fire, but I tend to agree with the foregoing remarks first and foremost. Whatever its provenance or lack thereof this is a solid early helmet/liner and you got a good deal on it.

a2jacketpatches

watchmanjimg said:
Phantomfixer said:

I read the entire USMF thread this morning and would prefer not to add fuel to the fire, but I tend to agree with the foregoing remarks first and foremost. Whatever its provenance or lack thereof this is a solid early helmet/liner and you got a good deal on it.

Yeah, it'll be listed explaining how I found it and mention of comments from both sides of the opinion scale, it seems equally positive and negative totaling about a dozen guys out of close to 1400 views. So I'm not saying yay or nay. I do know that I've had equal personal experience where something I thought was great ended up being nothing and something I thought was nothing ended up being great. Also, I can remember asking opinions on a Rare blue Navy Deck coat once and the expert told me 80 bucks so I sold it to him, found it on his Ebay a week later after it grew a squadron patch, 1880- and still going. Another expert told me the five boxed Japanese medals I had were worth 100- a piece and handed me 500- for all 5, again, a week later on Ebay one was at 880- and climbing. Not saying these guys are lying but chances are their word is not like the word of God either, especially with some other knowledgeable gents offering some positive input. I just don't know so an honest description with super clear close ups will have to do.