• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kids' size flight jackets

pipvh

I want to paint up/decorate a jacket for my daughter's birthday, and I'm wondering if anyone out there makes decent replica jackets in kids' sizes. I'm thinking A2 with Fifinella, though she's quite taken with Felix the Cat a la VF-3 - I somehow don't think she'll care about a Navy design on an Army jacket, and may end up with both, plus a flying tiger or two for good measure...

I've found some kids' jackets but those tend to be either horribly over-designed or extremely shoddy-looking. Any insights?

Cheers,

Pip

capt71

Just a couple of websites you might check out (US Wings has a section of kid's jackets). Since History Preservation and Eastman Leather make jackets to the customer's sizing, they could probably make one to fit your daughter. There are any number of companies out there custom making leather flight jackets (internet search for A-2 jackets).

http://www.uswings.com/ta2.asp

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpas ... intage.php

Hope you'll post the art results when you find a jacket for her.

Bill

John Lever

Aero make kids A-2's, and LW often have very small M/C jackets in the sale section quite cheap at £100 or so.

unclegrumpy

What age is your daughter, and about what size are you looking for? No point in getting too fancy if she is going to out grow it in a few months. Also, it might open your options up if you expanded into the 1930's commercial jackets....like you see Amelia Earhart is wearing.

CBI

Great minds think alike. I painted this for my 6 year old daughter about 18 months ago. Its from Aero Leather. I bought it used from a forum member. Retail options for kids are not so good (unless one wants to pay quite a bit).

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

pipvh

CBI: That is absolutely brilliant. My daughter's jacket probably won't, I'm afraid, be quite up to that standard...!

I'm going to buy a jacket that will be a bit big, so she'll get a couple of years out of it (there's a younger, equally stylish sister waiting in the wings in any case). The US Wings A2 isn't too bad, but I hate those handwarmer pockets... Never mind. Might drop Aero a line tomorrow to see what they can do. Many thanks to all - I'll keep you updated.

pipvh

Hmm. Those LW jackets are a real bargain... A big white Felix on the back of one of those black jackets would be pretty sharp. No. 1 Daughter is going to be 9 - wonder if a 28 would fit?

I did a rocker jacket for her when she was much smaller - lots of studs, patches and a big painting on the back. So there's a precedent.

tom james

Just because a child outgrows the jacket, doesn't mean the jacket can't be shadow-boxed(or double shadowboxed if there is artwork on both sides), then given later as a gift when he/she is in a position to appreciate it. Just a thought.