• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kelso A2

wop54

Rutger said:
005.jpg
didn't know that behind the name of Rutger there was such a big movie star! :D
1e80f3bc.jpg

By the way, yor jacket is beautiful, Russel!

Rutger

Almagnifico said:
Is it the new leather ?
And, if "yes" is it really different between the first one (if you have already seen the first of course) :D

Yes.
Can't say if it differs, as I've never seen one in the flesh.
My feeling is that the hide for my jacket is more grainy than previous batches, but it's only that and not factual knowledge.

I got a reply from Andy yesterday that getting good leather is difficult, also because niche jacket makers are small bussinesses, and probably quite picky as the customers are picky as well.
Ask Andy though.

_MG_0499.jpg

picture courtesy BK/Andy (sorry Andy, this is too good to skip)

and ELC Werber.
This is fine leather from ELC, yet the BK now appeals more to me. My pics are not so razor sharp, but it's still quite a difference.
IMG_2868.jpg

IMG_2867.jpg

Rutger

Well, I prefer the BK in general. Nicer leather, tighter cuffs.
Although the BK zipper is a high quality repro Talon, the Hookless zipper of my Werber has a more period look and feel about it, but if they weren't used on Roughwears then what can I say.

I can't review it for accuracy as a reproduction, for that I'll probably have to make a handfull of pictures, post them and have rotenhahn come back as a member.

My sizing should be 43.
My ELC is a Werber in 44 which after some shrinkage of wear, mild tumbling in dryer and rain showers during wear has the following measurements:
pit-pit 23
shoulders 19.5
arm 24.5-25
zip 23.5
back 25

My BK is their modern day (and ordered size) 42, but was given a tag of 44 as that would be the WW2 sizing.
pit to pit 23
back 25 1/4
shoulders 18 1/2
sleeve 25 1/4
I should and will check them some time later this week.

With you living in Italy I'd likely go over to BK in Greece and simply have yourself measured by them.

nogbat

ive got a bk rw in russet , had it about 8 months , and its starting to age very well , i would say it is certanly a threat to elc and aero ...i will probaly wear it to duxford ..

airfrogusmc

nogbat said:
ive got a bk rw in russet , had it about 8 months , and its starting to age very well , i would say it is certanly a threat to elc and aero ...i will probaly wear it to duxford ..

Photos?

ButteMT61

I had a BK for a short time, and while it seemed a solid mid-level jacket, it wasn't close to my Aeros. Maybe the new model bridges the gap better. Haven't seen one yet to compare.

saunders

Rutger said:
Well, I prefer the BK in general. Nicer leather, tighter cuffs.
Although the BK zipper is a high quality repro Talon, the Hookless zipper of my Werber has a more period look and feel about it, but if they weren't used on Roughwears then what can I say.

Please elaborate as to what you mean by nicer leather. Do you mean the overall quality is nicer? In what way?

You say the cuffs are tighter, so do you mean the weave is tighter or the fit on the wrist itself? Vintage A-2s very often have cuffs that stretch out significantly. I suppose one could argue that making the knit parts (or any part of the A-2) better than the average original A-2 is a digression from authenticity, though most original A-2s are of a quality of workmanship that would relegate them as "seconds" if being sold as new today.

You say the zipper is a high-quality repro, but the images I've seen don't reflect such a characterization in terms of precision in duplicating a wartime Talon or Conmar zipper. Do you simply mean the zipper construction and function is high quality? Which zipper type did you get?

Saunders

saunders

Stitching appears excellent in the photos, though even cheap jackets seem to be assembled nicely. The leather also appears quite attractive; definitely a rich color and lots of grain character for those who can't live without grain. I may have missed the leather details, but is this a pure veg-tanned horsehide and a full aniline dye or semi-aniline dye?

Saunders

Rutger

Well, I guess you answered the question on the leather yourself.
How it will hold throughout time I cannot say, that part of quality is something time will tell.
According to the website it is veg tanned with aniline coating. It may or may not be semi-aniline, I haven't checked that with BK, neither did I back when I bought my ELC A2's.
Tighter cuffs is meant as in being more elastic than ELC's, which are hardly elastic at all; it appears to me they also have a slightly thicker touch about them.
As for the talon: I have not yet made time to find out more about original zippers, high end repro's and budget repro's, so I quoted BK on that.
It would be good to have platon jump in and reply to above mentioned subjects, he sourced almost everything from leather to tags to zips to cuffs to thread. He might tell you how and where he got it.

cheers,
Rutger

bretron

I got a BK "test" monarch, which I have been very happy with since I took ownership of it five months ago. See a few pics and quick and dirty review here: http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12207

The knits while not period accurate, I think I actually prefer because they are not quite as bulky and itchy as originals. I get compliments on this jacket all the time. And would absolutely recommend one to anyone considering an Aero or ELC; buy two kelsos for the price of one ELC :lol: that or buy a GW instead... Just my two cents.

Platon, how bout that endorsement deal now? :D

A

Anonymous

Hi,

This is the Talon (minus the leather puller this time)
DSC07497-729681.jpg

and the knits are very high quality
top brand names repro makers have used them

A

Anonymous

I thought I 'd better show you one of Kelso's photos as the above is from another maker

autoimg1432.jpg

saunders

PLATON said:
I thought I 'd better show you one of Kelso's photos as the above is from another maker

autoimg1432.jpg

Thank you for posting images!

Please post pics of the bottom stopper box and the top stoppers, too, so we can evaluate the totality of the zippers.

Cobblers161

From what I've seen of the latest stuff the hides look very nice, great work Platon, I'm in for a dark seal Aero!