• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just scored a very old Langlitz CHP jacket

This jacket belonged to a California Highway Patrol Motor Officer back in the 1950's. The horsehide is incredible! It feels awesome! I don't want to take it off! I walked into a vintage clothing store the other day because I heard he had some vintage moto jackets. There were some nice ones there but like most vintage jackets they were sizes from 36 to 40. I talked to the owner who's a big guy and he said he has a nice personal collection at home that are all size 48. He said he had two really nice Langlitz CHP jackets from the 50's when they were made out of horsehide and he was thinking about putting one of them up on Ebay, but that he would bring it in and give me first shot at it for $475. I came back the next week and instantly fell in love! It was an incredible jacket and fit me great! He could have gotten two or three times as much if he sold it on Ebay since it's a size 48! I ride my Harley every day and I'm pretty sure this will be my favorite daily wearer!

789969303_vqnVf-L.jpg

789969336_SbLER-L.jpg

789969325_nBV8D-L.jpg

The zipper says "Coats Clark". I've never heard of that one. Anyone familiar with that?

789969257_zXN5Y-L.jpg

Sorry about the lousy pictures! It's the best I could do by myself.

789969272_MgU9U-L.jpg

789969291_GrQ73-L.jpg

Atticus

Bill, you see "C&C" zippers on some early sixties nylon jackets. I've got a '61 Skyline with a "C&C" zipper. In the back of my mind, I think they were owned by Crown?

Great jacket, BTW!

AF

DiamondDave

Coats & Clark is a house brand of "Tag-IT USA" and the current ones are actually made by Talon. These are hugely prevalent nowadays (and very cheap) in the places such as Hancock Fabric, JoAnn's and that sort of thing. The newer ones are almost exclusively CHEAP metal.. as they seem to focus mostly on nylon/plastic zippers for the DIY garment industry.

C&C used to be a great brand though and were excellent zippers in the vintage of yours.

DD

bseal

Awesome find. Hey let me know if he has a Langlitz Cascade in a 44-46" laying around.

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
Bill, you see "C&C" zippers on some early sixties nylon jackets. I've got a '61 Skyline with a "C&C" zipper. In the back of my mind, I think they were owned by Crown?

Great jacket, BTW!

AF

At one point Coats & Clark was affiliated with Crown in some fashion. Geoff, take a look at the box on the main zipper of your '61 Skyline and tell us what it says. Ditto certain Alpha MA-1s from FY '64 as well as L-2Bs from the same period.

I also have a magnificent ex-Detroit PD jacket in the classic Buco PJ-27 style, made by Metropolitan Uniform Co. and featuring a C&C "peg-tooth" main zip. I believe the box has no markings, but I'll double-check. I suspect this jacket was produced subsequent to the aforementioned nylon flight jackets, but anyone with additional insight is welcome to comment.

Tommer45

Bill.. wow.. awesome jacket! Looks amazing.. the fit is right on too. And the price made my eyes widen...what a find! I take it your Legendary will see a lot more closet time than previously thought?

Tommer

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
watchmanjimg said:
At one point Coats & Clark was affiliated with Crown in some fashion.

They owned Crown ... J & P Coats (The Spool Cotton Company), manufactured the Crown brand after buying Crown Fasteners Corp. in 1936.

J & P Coats, and The Clark Thread Company, finally merged in 1953 forming Coats & Clark.

..... that's a great Langlitz, Bill. :D

les_garten

sealbeachbum said:
This jacket belonged to a California Highway Patrol Motor Officer back in the 1950's. The horsehide is incredible! It feels awesome! I don't want to take it off! I walked into a vintage clothing store the other day because I heard he had some vintage moto jackets. There were some nice ones there but like most vintage jackets they were sizes from 36 to 40. I talked to the owner who's a big guy and he said he has a nice personal collection at home that are all size 48. He said he had two really nice Langlitz CHP jackets from the 50's when they were made out of horsehide and he was thinking about putting one of them up on Ebay, but that he would bring it in and give me first shot at it for $475. I came back the next week and instantly fell in love! It was an incredible jacket and fit me great! He could have gotten two or three times as much if he sold it on Ebay since it's a size 48! I ride my Harley every day and I'm pretty sure this will be my favorite daily wearer!

789969303_vqnVf-L.jpg

789969336_SbLER-L.jpg

789969325_nBV8D-L.jpg

The zipper says "Coats Clark". I've never heard of that one. Anyone familiar with that?

789969257_zXN5Y-L.jpg

Sorry about the lousy pictures! It's the best I could do by myself.

789969272_MgU9U-L.jpg

789969291_GrQ73-L.jpg

Electra Glide in Blue, Wild Bill!