• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just picked up a beauty 30's leather Jacket, I think?

oose

Hi all,

Just picked this up for £35 in London, I think its 30's leather sports jacket, Lightning zips throughout, My size as well, any idea on make, unfortunately there is no label, jacket is in great condition. British or Canadian?

I just sold my Buzz L-2b to my dad, so the wardrobe was looking a little empty! I did not think I'd fill it this quickly!

First pics , I'll post better later on.

All the best
stu

oose

Thanks deeb,
I'm really pleased with it, here is an add from the hat forum, dated 1936.

stu

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Here's a similar jacket I regret selling ... black capeskin, unlined, with Art Deco Lightning zipper. The seller said her father bought it pre war.

A-1.jpg

bobbyball

Lovely find and great styling – I too have been very lucky in Camden over the years although it's all now getting harder to find.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a NOS/hardly worn 50s dark blue cashmere topcoat for £15 (I guess it's summer after all!) and a few years ago the best buy ever – An early G1 J7823 by California Sportswear in a size 46 with absolutely no wear at all for £120.

Well done again – I would have had it if I had got there first :lol: :lol:

oose

Hi all,
Thanks for the positive comments. Their are still some bargains out there to be had, the hunt just becomes that little harder.

deeb you had a interesting jacket there, with similar knits, I wonder if this was common to one manufacturer or trend that the war put a stop to. I'm thinking that this is a British jacket, was your one New Zealand or from else where?

All the best
stu

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
oose said:
deeb you had a interesting jacket there, with similar knits, I wonder if this was common to one manufacturer or trend that the war put a stop to. I'm thinking that this is a British jacket, was your one New Zealand or from else where?

I found it here in NZ, and the seller was certain it was 1930s. Although we always seemed to use Lightning zips, I assumed it was English.

Shoulda asked more questions ...

MikeyB-17

Cor, what a stunning jacket. If that was reproduced by the likes of Buzz Rickson it would be hundreds of pounds. Nice to know these things can still be found.

asiamiles

Both great jackets...David, why did you sell it? Silly question. I ask myself the same one on numerous occasions. I'm not sure those jacket really date back as far as the 30's and my guess is that they may be Canadian in origin.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Both great jackets...David, why did you sell it?

I don't think I realised what it was at the time. I didn't believe the early date, I wondered should it have a lining, and had the funny looking knits been replaced.

I hung it in my shop by the counter, and by the time I figured it probably was all correct, someone had given me $100, and waltzed off with it. :oops:

oose

Thanks Guys,
I've been away for five weeks, and as Europe has had a dismal summer I've managed to wear it quite a bit. Thought I'd post some detail pics. It has some interesting detail like the bi-wear waist knit as well as the stitching through the knits into the leather.

All the best
stu

oose

Hi all,
Just an update, sorry I've been absent from the forum lately. I've nearly sold this jacket a couple of times this year, but have decided that its one of the few jackets which will now never leave my collection. I have spoken to a number of people about it and have been told that its to bright for the 1930's and that this style did not exists and that its probable Canadian, all of which I now think are false. I'm now more certain that its a remarkable survivor of the British motorcycle scene from the mid 1930's.
Here are some photo's of Piet van Wijngaarden, Isle of Man TT rider taken in 1933 and 1934, it shows a jacket of similar construction with the high neck knits, although this jack is not identical (this one probably suede) it does have many of the same features, and does make it more probable that my jacket dates from this period. Still doing research, so may update in the future.

All the best and Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!
stu

m444uk

My grandfather had one of those. Like many people in the 30's and 40's he cycled to work wearing gear like that. The likes of Gamages sold them. His had red and white knits. Curious people here don't realize A1 type jackets where being worn from the 1920's on in Britain.
Bright school and university colours date from well before that and were mirrored in sporting type wear.