• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUST ARRIVED-AWESOME MONARCH A2 SIZE 44!

Roughwear

Here are some pics of my new Monarch A2 in a size 44 which I bought from a forum member in the USA. It's in superb original condition. Monarch A2s are somewhat rare especially in a wearable size and this one is a perfect fit. I have owned a size 42 in the past but it was too small. The Monarch contract dates from the 1942 fiscal year. The hh is very soft with areas of pronounced grain.

IMG_33901.jpg

IMG_33971.jpg

IMG_33911.jpg

IMG_33921.jpg

IMG_33931.jpg

IMG_33941.jpg

IMG_33951.jpg

IMG_33961.jpg

These are not my pics, but will take some myself at the weekend.

Grant

That is a nice Monarch - I used to own it. Funny how these jackets get passed along.

Roughwear

Grant said:
That is a nice Monarch - I used to own it. Funny how these jackets get passed along.

Yes it is funny how they get passed on Grant. I have traced the vet, one Lt John E Deyo of Worcester, MA. He was born in 1919 and enlisted in the Air Corps on 23 Jan 1942. I have not discovered anything about his service career as yet. Did you research him Grant?

bazelot

Amazing jacket. what are the measurements on a 42 like this. I just sold my last but one original A-2. The last one will stay with me as it was the first one I got and is fully documented to a squadron leader with all his missions.
Monarchs do have the blackened Talon zipper. They seem to be the only ones to put it on the A-2.

Roughwear

bazelot said:
Amazing jacket. what are the measurements on a 42 like this. I just sold my last but one original A-2. The last one will stay with me as it was the first one I got and is fully documented to a squadron leader with all his missions.
Monarchs do have the blackened Talon zipper. They seem to be the only ones to put it on the A-2.

Measurements are: Pit to pit: 22", across the shoulders:18", Sleeve: 25", and back from base of collar to bottom of waistband:25.75". As you know Monarchs tend to fit small compared with other makes.

John Lever

Just curious but how do you know for sure that it's not a fake ?
There are some very clever and devious people out there, especially in my business [antiques]
What do you look for to be sure it's vintage ?
Personally I couldn't tell the difference, and would be easily fooled. Is it the stitching, the label or the patina ?
I am not saying it's not right, but how would explain it to some one who didn't know ?
It looks amazing and very clean considering it's 60 years old.

John Lever

Dr H said:
Sorry to hijack, albeit briefly, but what antiques are you into John?
Decorative stuff. French, Swedish, German , Dutch, English...
Values from £100 to £20 000.
I see some pieces that are too good to be true and they usually aren't.

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Just curious but how do you know for sure that it's not a fake ?
There are some very clever and devious people out there, especially in my business [antiques]
What do you look for to be sure it's vintage ?
Personally I couldn't tell the difference, and would be easily fooled. Is it the stitching, the label or the patina ?
I am not saying it's not right, but how would explain it to some one who didn't know ?
It looks amazing and very clean considering it's 60 years old.

Good point John. When you have handled a few originals you begin to know what is original and what is a later jacket. This one has the original label, which is very difficult and expensive to copy exactly. The leather has a 60 year old patina, which is hard to fake. No repro maker has been able to source hh which is 100% WW2 authentic, although Warhorse hide and some of JC's leather comes close! The zipper is an original Talon and I can tell from the sewing it has not been replaced. Of course it could be an ELC repro! :lol:

Grant

You should of seen what the horsehide looked like before I restored it back to good condition. As for the size, it's obviously mislabeled. It fits much more like a sz. 40 or trim fitting 42.

TankBuster

What a great jacket!

I agree with Andrew, it is very easy to tell the real from not. Pocket labels, zippers, Regular labels, snaps, lining wear, stitching, leather patina, ect...... are all ways to determine if it is real, or a cleverly aged up repro. There are others I'm sure I'm missing off the top of my head.

I thought it measured a litttle small for a 44, but from what Grant just listed, it was probably really a wartime 42. The Monarchs I've had have all been very trim compared to the label size. Still a damn nice jacket. ;)

rich

John Lever said:
Dr H said:

Isn't that.............. usually are.....? John, you're messing with my mind here............. :? :? :?

Great jacket Andrew!

Roughwear

Grant said:
You should of seen what the horsehide looked like before I restored it back to good condition. As for the size, it's obviously mislabeled. It fits much more like a sz. 40 or trim fitting 42.

I have owned an original labelled size 42 Monarch, which was significantly smaller than this one. This one is a similar fit to my size 42 spiewak. I think Monarch A2s run small so a 44 is equivalent to a 42 from many other makers.

Atticus

Andrew, my girlfrend's grandmother may well have helped make that jacket. She worked in the Monarch factory during WWII and continued to work there until after the Korean War. Jackie's Dad has a photo of his younger brother wearing a B-15C that she brought home from work.

AF

Roughwear

John Lever said:
The lining looks very clean for it's age. Do you think it been replaced at some time ?

Unless 100% of the stitches have been matched perfectly, its original to the jacket. There is an small old patch repair to the lining near the right shoulder.

jacketimp

rich said:
John Lever said:
Dr H said:

Isn't that.............. usually are.....? John, you're messing with my mind here............. :? :? :?

is that waht's call a brain fuk........?

Great jacket Andrew!