• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JJ's jacket-experts?

MikeyB-17

Not really a subject in which I have a lot of expertise, but I'm curious as to what my main man JJ Burnel of the Stranglers is wearing in this pic, taken probably '78-'79. Can any of you bike jacket experts enlighten me? Cheers.

burnel.jpg

MikeyB-17

Thanks chaps, I was leaning in the Perfecto direction too, but I wondered if anyone with more comprehensive knowledge than me had any other ideas.

mtds

Note the snap-close belt keeper on the musician's jacket. That means it isn't one of Schott's common models , like a 118, 518, 474, 613, or 618. Those all have closed belt loops.

In the 80's Schott made a jacket with snap belt loops (pic below) and I think it was a Model 620. The 620 didn't have a chest pocket, though. This doesn't mean the jacket isn't a Schott; they have made a huge variety of styles. I'm just not sure we've identified this jacket yet. Do you have any more pictures?

standard.jpg

MikeyB-17

I noticed the snaps on the belt loops too-that was what made me wonder whether it was in fact a Perfecto. Although there are a good few pics in existence of that jacket-JJ wore it a lot around 78-79-I'm struggling to find one right now that shows it in any useful detail. Bear with me.

watchmanjimg

mtds said:
Note the snap-close belt keeper on the musician's jacket. That means it isn't one of Schott's common models , like a 118, 518, 474, 613, or 618. Those all have closed belt loops.

I'm not professing to be an expert either, but honestly this jacket follows the typical assymetric-zip design used by numerous manufacturers over more than half a century. It does look like a Schott Perfecto, but then again the Model 620 looks suspiciously like a Langlitz Columbia . . . :oops:

Getting back to the notion that it's a Schott, I agree that it's probably not one of the models listed above. However, models such as the 125 have snap-closed belt keepers and there may well have been an earlier variant configured exactly like JJ's jacket. If you look closely there appear to be stars or some other device attached to the epaulets. Isn't that a feature of the One Star Perfecto?

Whomever the maker, I'd say it's a cool jacket.

MikeyB-17

I've spent ages looking for images of this jacket, with very little success-there are plenty of shots of it, but none in enough detail to be of any use. The best I can come up with is this one, which I've not seen before, which reveals what appears to be side laces, something I've not seen in pics before. This is all starting to sound terribly anal, but I was just curious, really.

86103820.jpg

zoomer

mtds said:
In the 80's Schott made a jacket with snap belt loops (pic below) and I think it was a Model 620.
standard.jpg
Cool...I'm not a big cycle wear fan, but that is a moto jacket I'd wear.
It has no gingerbread - just a nice simple line. So I'm guessing it's rare!
Now if there was one in a seal brown... :lol:

mondocatto

Not that unusual actually. That looks like a Schott 125. A 620 is a CHP jacket with the padded waist and no chest pocket or coin pocket