• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jacket size : Sleeves + shoulders = generic value ?

Kermit3D

I have a question about the size of jackets

Depending on the cut of a jacket, for the same size, sometimes shoulders are wide, sometimes shoulders narrow, sometimes the sleeves are long and other times they are short... What seems normal on different cuts (jackets).
If we add the length of two sleeves to the width of shoulders, can we get a value that works on any kind of cut (in theory) ?

For example:

My A-2 :
Sleeve (26 inches) x 2 = 52 inches
Shoulders = 17.75 inches
Sleeves + shoulders = 52 + 17.75 = 69.75 inches

My first cyclist jacket :
Sleeve (25.1 inches) x 2 = 50.2 inches
Shoulders = 19.2 inches
Sleeves + shoulders = 50.2 + 19.2 = 69.4 inches

My second cyclist jacket :
Sleeve (25.2 inches) x 2 = 50.4 inches
Shoulders = 18.6 inches
Sleeves + shoulders = 50.4 + 18.6 = 69 inches

Can I assume that any jacket with "sleeve x 2 + shoulders" dimension that would equal a value between 69 and 70 inches would work for me ?

Last edited:

Kermit3D

That’s exacly the method I use. My ideal number is 69 inches too. Be careful, it changes when the jacket has a thick lining.
You mention this method of calculation in the post about the B-10 BR and Bronson, and I thought it was a clever method. I tried it on my jackets and it works pretty well.
Yes, as you say, with this method, you probably can't compare a sheepskin jacket and a light jacket

Southoftheborder

It's easier to just halve the shoulder width and add the sleeve length. In my case something around 34.5" works. That is what Charles at History Preservation Society recommends.

PS most people have one arm a little bit longer than the other. In my case my right arm is about half an inch longer and the left sleeve can be too long. So if you try to be too exact it doesn't alway work. A little leeway helps.

Last edited:

mulceber

Neat thought, Kermit - I'll be trying this in the future. I'd already been doing something like this vaguely in my head ("ok, 1 inch shorter in the shoulders means I need an extra half inch in the sleeves...") but this is much more efficient.