• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its time to break out the G1s

Roughwear

Chandler said:
As promised, my Monarch G1. Anyone have any background on this contract?

As I said, I had Flight Suits replace the knits with those they use on their M422a. The originals were the same sort of single layer weave on the waist.
No perforation on the wind flap and no stencil on the collar back.

Monarchfr.jpg

Monarchcol.jpg

Monarchspectag.jpg

The contract dates to 1952 and was the only contract Monarch had for G-1s in the 1950s. The workmanship is usually top quality. The lining has a seam down the middle, which only Monarchs had. Another feature of Monarch G-1s is that the wind flap ends about 1 inch short of the bottom of the jacket. Monarch Mfg closed down in 1957.

Jaguar46

Marv said:
Roughwear said:
I would be interested in seeing some pictures to show how the goatskin is breaking in Marv.
I took these photos this morning (not great) but this is it in it's current state of break in......to be honest, not much more from when I got it really apart from the mouton has begun to tighten a little with exposure to the elements.
See what you think.......
68281809-6EB8-4CE8-A135-44137F4F3FD6-9101-000009D702C37499.jpg

Any pictures with the jacket on?

Chandler

Roughwear said:
Another feature of Monarch G-1s is that the wind flap ends about 1 inch short of the bottom of the jacket.

You know, I never noticed that before -- will have to give it closer inspection. Thanks for the dating confirmation, I was told it was early '50s, and figured it for Korean Conflict era -- even though there doesn't seem to have ever been any patches or name tags attached.

Chandler

Dr H said:
Yep...truly awful. Shall I give you my address to send it along? ;)

Right away... as soon as that big check comes in the mail. ;)

But honestly, I won this off eBay quite some time ago and I really can't recall what I paid then. The collar has slowly started to molt, my only concern.

Chandler

Here's one I promised to Maverickson. This is the first vintage flight jacket I ever purchased. I hit a garage sale just outside Chicago around 1982 or 83 where the seller had vintage flight gear. The seller was a Naval aviator on the USS Guadalcanal in the N. Atlantic during WW2 and was part of the task force that captured the German U-505 submarine and towed it to South America. This is the same sub that's now in Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry.

Back then I wrote the pilot's name down for future reference, but lord only knows what I've done with it over the years. This jacket is falling apart at the seams, I always wanted to have it restored. Now I'd like to contact the museum to see if they (we) can't identify the original owner and make it part of the U-505 exhibit.

ANfr.jpg

ANbk.jpg

ANbust.jpg

ANcollar.jpg

Everything is original, you can see the great berry color on the knits. The spec tag was removed when I bought it and you can see there was a name tag on the front from the stitch holes. It has a nickel Talon zip with a brass puller. If I were to guess, I'd put this at a size 40 or 42. The patina and color on the leather is terrific, and the honey-colored collar is quite nice. I don't know why that patch is down the center of the lining, maybe when the spec tag was removed that was how the owner re-sewed it back together.

Anyone want to take a guess on the manufacture?

Chandler

Roughwear said:
PLATON said:
H&L Block?

...with the yellow stenciled "U.S" on the collar back.

I knew that could be a "kicker." I honestly don't know what it is, just that it's classic and I'm proud to have it in my possession.

Did Block make ANs?

chamboid

Yeah definitely a H.L Block AN-6552 I have one on my collection. If it has stiched air-holes under the armpits it's a block. They always had the purple knits as well which a great colour and no one makes

Also if you look at the back of the collar there aren't the usual stitch lines which arch up form the base for turning the collar down. I hope you understand what I mean... Billions wouldn't

Chandler

chamboid said:
If it has stiched air-holes under the armpits it's a block.

I seem to remember that it does, but I'll double-check later.

Also if you look at the back of the collar there aren't the usual stitch lines which arch up form the base for turning the collar down. I hope you understand what I mean... Billions wouldn't

No, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I'm guessing you aren't talking about the angular -- tri-angular -- stitches that run perpendicular (more or less) along the width of most G-1 style collars, because you can see those on mine.

*Edit: I see the stitching you're talking about on Peter Graham's AN-J -- following the attachment of the collar to jacket, about 6 lines tall, emanating up from the seam.

chamboid

Them's the ones. I love my H.L Block interesting darted lining as well. The leather on mine it so thick and is a lovely deep seal brown colour.

Need to try and find some purple knot or mine