• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its time to break out the G1s

dadgad

This is one of the G-1s in my collection, is a great example of an unissued 1961 Ralph Edwards 7823B in mint unworn conditions.
This jacket misses only the original box. The goatskin is unbelievably compact and buttery soft.
You can even see the chalk dots used to adjust the pockets on the main shell.

Jaguar46

I now have 2 G-1s, a Goodwear Star Sportswear, and an Irvin B Foster, a 7823C mid 1960s model. I have begun to appreciate these, they fit really well, and the collar is so comfortable in cold weather, I bought from watchmanjimg.

Star55J14G1_02.jpg

Star55J14G1_04.jpg

Star55J14G1_05.jpg

Star55J14G1_01.jpg

Irvin B Foster

Misc082811030.jpg
Misc082811033.jpg

Misc082811032.jpg
Misc082811031.jpg

JacketPics008.jpg
JacketPics009.jpg

jschare

Here is my Star G-1, C model... I might be willing to trade this for an Eastman A-2 in a 40 or perhaps a 38, depending on measurements...

star1a.jpg

star2a.jpg

star3a.jpg

star4a.jpg

bebel

Some G-1s in my collection. I really like this jacket and the history of Naval aviation which goes with it... :shock:

7823 Monarch size 42

7823A Ralph Edwards size 38

7823 LW Foster size 38

55J14 Starsportswear size 40

I also wear a 1957's Cagleco in comfortable size 44 for good days in spring and autumn.

bretron

bebel said:
Some G-1s in my collection. I really like this jacket and the history of Naval aviation which goes with it... :shock:

7823 Monarch size 42

7823A Ralph Edwards size 38

7823 LW Foster size 38

55J14 Starsportswear size 40

I also wear a 1957's Cagleco in comfortable size 44 for good days in spring and autumn.

Amazing collection. Lemme know if you wanna part with one ;)

MikeyB-17

This is my G-1, now getting some wear. 1964 Irvin B. Foster C series, with the fabled 'extra seam' on the back panel. Bought cheap on Ebay from someone who didn't know what they were selling (she thought the pen slot was a 'professionally done repair'!). Cuffs replaced by Aero, and a patch applied to the back using WWII M-422A goatskin kindly supplied by Silver Surfer-it had a small hole in the back, when I opened up the lining it had a small patch where the leather had turned black, shiny and brittle. Anyone else had this? Tanning fault or exposure to something?
Anyway all fixed now, and although I've had other G-1's, some in better condition (one was unworn), this one seems to suit me best. I particularly like the goatskin, which is far less 'papery' and more 'leathery' than most sixties G-1's I've had.

DSCF3506.jpg

ButteMT61

Do you guys ever see 48/50 G-1 (or M-422) come up for sale? I have looked for two years, and aside from a cruddy one here and there, not much. I'd love to find a vintage coat, but maybe it's best to put more money aside and let JC make one. 767fo has proven to me it might be the best route - until he wants to sell me his recently unboxed unit :lol:
I have a USWings G-1 (Centennial edition in 2011) that I got on sale and honestly, the G-1 is such a versatile jacket - even in Cali. I really love it - as long as I can keep "Top Gun" out of my thoughts...

jschare

ButteMT61 said:
Do you guys ever see 48/50 G-1 (or M-422) come up for sale? I have looked for two years, and aside from a cruddy one here and there, not much. I'd love to find a vintage coat, but maybe it's best to put more money aside and let JC make one. 767fo has proven to me it might be the best route - until he wants to sell me his recently unboxed unit :lol:
I have a USWings G-1 (Centennial edition in 2011) that I got on sale and honestly, the G-1 is such a versatile jacket - even in Cali. I really love it - as long as I can keep "Top Gun" out of my thoughts...

Try Gibson & Barnes. I bought one to replace my issued one. They are very nice jackets and less expensive than Good Wear or Eastman. Just make sure you order down a size.

ButteMT61

jschare said:
ButteMT61 said:

Try Gibson & Barnes. I bought one to replace my issued one. They are very nice jackets and less expensive than Good Wear or Eastman. Just make sure you order down a size.

Thanks. Are they typical G&B - that is, blousy, modern-fit?

jschare

ButteMT61 said:
jschare said:
ButteMT61 said:

Thanks. Are they typical G&B - that is, blousy, modern-fit?

Not so much with the G-1 but I went down a size and it fits perfectly. There are many active duty squadrons who purchase these jackets because the issued ones are of poor quality. That's one way I found out about G&B.

S7302342.JPG

S7302347.JPG

S7302348.jpg

S7302349.jpg

S7302351.jpg

bebel

Another of my G-1s. This is one is from the 7823A spec. and was belonged to a Marine A-4 pilot. I was figuring that "A" models had only the specific Talon zipper. But this one and another I have seen have the original Conmar as on later "B" and "C" versions.

Franck

stevetfire

Hi Guys here is my LW Foster 7823 in a 46..more like a 44 and a great wearer
A2sG1nstuff2012017.jpg

A2sG1nstuff2012020.jpg

Nice small tooth conmar zipper
A2sG1nstuff2012018.jpg

A2sG1nstuff2012025.jpg

sorry about side ways pics, photobucket beat me. :lol: :lol: