• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its...its..FRANKEN-IRVIN

Hawkeye

A short while ago i picked up a 1940 Links Irvin with the aim of restoring it. Well, after recieving the jacket I can tell you with certainty that this jacket has absolutely NO future. Not only has the jacket been re-lined, but someone had taken the trouble of SHAVING out every non-visible section of sheepskin, leading to a very flimsy and paper-thin feeling jacket. Possibly to facilitate use in a warmer climate. However, I don't think all is lost. The jacket contains basically all of the original hardware. Two double trunnion DOT zips with original leather pullers, a (looks to be replacement) Lightning main zip. Belt is all there in one piece. Collar is sound with sme minor wear, and still retains the collar securing strap, collar securing rings and the elastic strap on the back. The wetaher flap is in good shape as well, and has been spared the cutting shears. Seeing as how this jacket has been bastardized the way it has, I would feel no guilt whatsoever in pulling this jacket to pieces to use for parts. What say you guys? Should i pull it apart for future projects, or just try and get rid of the thing?
P3290106.jpg

P3290110.jpg

P3290109.jpg

P3290108.jpg

Roughwear

Oh dear! Unless most of the panels are replaced you will not be able to restore this jacket. This is time-consuming and costly. IMO leave it alone and put it back on Ebay!

Jason

Don't discount the idea of salvaging all the parts and selling them individually.

I recall someone, about a year ago, had several original Irvin collar straps for sale. They each went on ebay for the order of USD $50 each!
Now you have a collar strap, three zips, a collar, a belt buckle, belt straps - you could end up getting more than what you paid for the entire jacket!
What about the sleeves? Are the relined or shaved too? If not, another valuable resource for you to either keep or sell on.

Just like a stolen car, it could be worth more for the parts than as a whole....

Sorry this purchase didn't work out for you though.

Hawkeye

unfortunately the sleeves have been shaved and relined as well. Im currently contemplating my options, whether to dismember the jacket and keep the pieces to myself for future projects, sell all the bits and pieces, or simply throw the whole thing up on ebay again and see what happens.

Roughwear

Jason said:
Don't discount the idea of salvaging all the parts and selling them individually.

I recall someone, about a year ago, had several original Irvin collar straps for sale. They each went on ebay for the order of USD $50 each!
Now you have a collar strap, three zips, a collar, a belt buckle, belt straps - you could end up getting more than what you paid for the entire jacket!
What about the sleeves? Are the relined or shaved too? If not, another valuable resource for you to either keep or sell on.

Just like a stolen car, it could be worth more for the parts than as a whole....

Sorry this purchase didn't work out for you though.

Jason, you are quite correct-the parts will probably fetch more than if the jacket is sold "complete". Elastic collar securing straps sell for up to £50, belts for £20-25, Dot sleeve zips £10 each and the main zip-£25. You could also sell the seam tapes and the collar for another £30 and then there is the thin sheepskin.... that makes £150 as a conservative estimate.

Hawkeye

yes, I think the jacket has a date with a thread-ripper. I'll most likely keep the zips for myself and sell off the rest.

Hawkeye

spent most of the day taking the jacket apart, most of the important bits (aside from zips which I'm keeping) have been or are in the process of being listed on ebay. Just search under irvin jacket and you'll find them no problem.