• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its a jacket thing ?

Skip

The worlds a topsy turvy place, and when it comes to jackets and measurements, its not much different. Am I alone or is this a frequent thing? Imagine how much money would have been saved (probably should read spent) if the measurements thing was sorted out, me thinks a lot.

Since being into this jacket thing a little too seriously than when I began, an oh so long 5 years ago, I've finally achieved a 1933 Werber, to plagiarise a phrase, one microscopic small step for mankind, one giant leap for Skip. Whats the big deal about that? I’m glad you asked. All through that time there has been a small succession of various jackets (11) all contributing to finally work out what measurements work on a tall lanky frame for the given situations I invariably Put these jackets through, Also because of my vertical characteristics originals in my size are as widely seen as a drop bear. And then of course there is the financial expenditure associated with what works and what doesn't (don't really want to add that up) not to mention other pressures and general life that really make one understand that jackets are in essence not a major priority in life?

5 of those 11 jackets I still have and really enjoy wearing each in turn regularly during our cooler/colder seasons. One of them is an early BK rendition of a 42-1402-P, which I'd have to say I've worn to 'death', albeit at that stage of my jacket life (number 4) I was still getting to grips with my measurements with the end result being a great fit for most situations but needing a little more length in the sleeves for such activities like driving (I hate the feeling in A2's when the sleeves ride up when you raise your arms for any form of action). You’d think living with yourself for such a long time you’d at least know your measurements? well….

Of course, during all this one looks through associated literature like Gary Eastman's book, and those highly visually appealing books on 'American Flight Jackets' that really help the jacket priority level reach Angels 35; then of course there is the GW website, and associated pages that invest so much info and imagery on most of the the makers jackets that one is left spinning out of control for choice.

So of course with the 1402P wearing in nicely I went for something a little contrasty, an Aero 18875 with those flashy red knits and mustard lining. Hang on, why not go the whole hog and wack a patch or 2 or 4 on, just cause those images of CBI jackets in "that" book, and my interest in the theatre at the time were a priority (is there a pattern forming here?). And of course while I got the chest measurement right for the 1402P, I got the sleeves right for the 18875, thinking of course that I'd get a way with a 23' pit to pit, when I have a chest size of 39'. Get away with it I did, you can always fit something small into something large, it just depends how you want it to look yeah? The look was not blousy, but a little on the baggy side for me. I thought I'd keep it, after all you spend so much time and money on it right? Maybe use it as one of those jackets you put a thicker sweater under, like. Well, it hung around for a year before I tired of the blousy look, interesting enough it went to the CBI theatre.

Of course A2's aren't renown for their flexibility, so I distracted myself in the hunt for that perfect A2, and hunted instead for an AN-J-3 which I wanted made in a particular hide with a particular shade of knit; eventually having to commission a piece, and is still my favourite jacket today aside from the 1402P, Aero 18775, m445…. No original bar one (and that was an A2 fronted Army version, I naturally wanted the Navy Version without the mouton), could I find in a size that fitted the tall, in a particular hide, with a particular shade of knit. You see, rare as drop bears. No kid!

But all through this I was leaning to a maker that seemed to have the style I was looking for. I’m not one for excessive details, I just like the look of a particular jacket because it just looks right to my eye, and after looking at soooooo many different ‘makers’ jackets, for an A2 it came down to just one, Werber. But first, lets get the 18775 sorted out, its not the sharpest looking jacket but its classic, cool, and different from the herd. So, another one ended up in the wardrobe, with another lot of patches (nothing like keeping the economy going), but although this time I nailed the sleeves and the pit measurement, I went with the standard size 40 shoulders at 17.5’ instead of my normal little looser 18’ which was on the 1402P. This meant the sleeves although a good length were still a little short for anything needing an arms up attitude. Nevertheless its a keeper (at last).

Then, seeking the ultimate Werber (IMO), I hit GW up for a 33 just before the price increase came through (anyone else realise that High end Repro’s are becoming legendary in pricing?) PHEW, that was close. But then, one of those priorities in life you dread but never think is going to happen, happens, and the jacket thing among other interests vanished into thin air. Well, it just took a back seat while my dearly beloved went through a bad patch, and then we decided to find something we could do together (yeah I know, for some reason she just doesn’t get the jacket thing - people are strange aren’t they?); which has worked out well for both of us, and I can now wear my jackets in it, not to mention get some wear out of that M445 in what we call in Australia, Winter. Ohh, didn’t I mention the M445? Well, RMNZ just happened to have one in my size going for a song (My bank account thought it was a rather high pitched song, but better than a soprano song), when I just happened to ask if they had one when my G&F M422a was getting a new mouton sowed on. A normal thing to do isn’t it? Did I mention my better half said with exclamation in her voice regarding the m445 ”how much???!!!”. Some people just don’t get it, I mean really? it was almost half price.

So, with an employment scare, and that other thing that we drive around in needing a major project, I cancelled the GW 33 Werber order, and thought one Werber will be fine (don’t laugh!). Then I vanished off the face of forums for a while, for a year almost, while new employment prospects beckoned and that other project that I like wearing my jackets in came to some form of completion.

and I guess you can guess what happened next, yep while our exchange rate was favourable against the pound, I put a deposit on an Eastman 33 Werber, and took extreme painstaking measurements, to the point that Rob probably has a better idea what my vital statistics are than my wife.

And finally, finally ….. I'm there.

I won’t go into details as others better qualified have already said such on Eastmans ’33 Werber, but boy is this one helluva jacket !!

Silver Surfer

hooha, watta beuty, but its just too big for ya, my man. sell it to me for a deeply discounted price.....hahahaha ya dun gud. and a happy 4th. keep in mind though, even the presdident of the united states must sometimes havta stand naked.

Skip

Thanks Gents. So far its the pinnacle of all my jackets. Cant believe how light, but strong. the leather is. As Roughwear mentioned in another post on his '33 Werber it wears in and grains up fairly quickly in spots. I've only had it just over a week and worn it twice.

Grant

Kudos to you and Rob for nailing a great fitting Werber! As Andrew and others have said, the more you wear and beat it up, it'll just keep getting better and better looking. Post photos as it wears in and breaks in.
I've posted this before, but here's my trusty old Werber after many miles cycling, riding NYC subways and sleeping in it while flying cross country.

CBI

Looks great and congrats..............how long until...........gee, I want a different color/contract/fit!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????? HAAAAAA - enjoy!

Bombing IP

"My trusty old Werber after many a mile ", shes a beauty no doubt about that .Got to be worth double what you paid for it just for the authentic aging you personally invested in the Gal . She is a keeper my friend .

BIP

Bombing IP

This jacket has to be in the top ten of best jackets in my opinion ,I now want a Werber after never really considering it before .

BIP

Skip

Its the collar and and trimmer torso that got me in, plus narrowing sleeves at the cuff. Its a small collar hole so the look is more 'fuller' if that makes sense, and the collar itself is generous and the stand just makes it sit up, as collars should. Then there are the details that you get to know as you wear it, which you guys would know hands down. Its just a sharp, but easy going look, plus the colour with those caramel knits is a little classy and different. GW's caramel knits on their 33 Werber seem a little more vibrant, but i've never seen them in the flesh.

Falcon_52

Very nice choice, Matt. I think you will be a very happy camper in the Werber. Much like Grant, I have lived a lot in mine in the last 10 years (where did the time go?). I have worn mine for numerous flight tests, a few flights to Japan and back, hot summer motorcycle rides, you name it. The color is really faded and the lining is starting to give up in a few places at the collar but it keeps on going!

Noel

IMG_1640_zpsfyhrxptc.jpg

IMG_1641_zpshevuqwm3.jpg