• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a WW2 B-15 contract

Roughwear

It is not an issued B-15. The white label and lack of darts on the shoulders coupled with the later Talon zip indicate a commercial jacket dating from the post War years. These type of jackets are regularly listed as wartime by either unscrupulous or ill informed sellers.

Postscript. Looks like Peter and I posted at the same time and we both agree on this jacket.

a2jacketpatches

Yes, the same type a "real WW2 OSS Veteran" was wearing in the Post Office up in Big Bear, CA one day. He looked old enough and went on to explain how he had several jackets and gear at home in minty condition because he only wore them once on special missions. :lol:

dmar836

The parkas are good for this. I have one or two that are really old and look just like other AAF gear. I can't let them go as I'm still not convinced(okay, don't have replacements). It's pretty much accepted that with issued AAF gear, the embroidered black labels (which also include the contract date year) will keep you out of trouble. These were also used plenty on flight gear post-war as well but with a WWII AAF item, expect those. You will occasionally see white labels that are good but they are embroidered as well and not printed cotton. There will always be rare exceptions but one will spend many thousands on post-war white labels before you stumble onto one. Army stuff, sure, but I can't really even think of a period AAF white cotton printed label I have found. Anyone else?
Dave

Peter Graham

dmar836 said:
It's pretty much accepted that with issued AAF gear, the embroidered black labels (which also include the contract date year) will keep you out of trouble.
Unless the label has "Fitzwell Sportswear" and "Original Type" embroidered on it. If it has, it's a copy.

TankBuster

Very true Peter. Original type is no good. As for Fitzwell, I think they did have a legit wartime contract for a B-10 or B-15. I can't remember which. I don't have the info in front of me, so maybe someone else can add on to that.