• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is ELC's Havana Brown the new Russet??

ausreenactor

Gentlemen...

While manning a "busy" Ops room, earning $366 a day tax free, I have been bouncing the usual sites for hours. I have just clicked on "B. Dept" of the ELC pages only to find all three of the house hides replaced with Havana Brown. Now is this a new tanning style, a new batch of hides or combination of both? Anyone have the inside scoop??

Couchy

Roughwear

ausreenactor said:
Gentlemen...

While manning a "busy" Ops room, earning $366 a day tax free, I have been bouncing the usual sites for hours. I have just clicked on "B. Dept" of the ELC pages only to find all three of the house hides replaced with Havana Brown. Now is this a new tanning style, a new batch of hides or combination of both? Anyone have the inside scoop??

Couchy

Is this is response to Good Wear horsehide?

Andrew

ausreenactor said:
Gentlemen...

While manning a "busy" Ops room, earning $366 a day tax free, I have been bouncing the usual sites for hours.
Couchy

Keep up the good work Couchy, glad to see my tax dollars are at last paying for something really useful- the appreciation of Fine Art ;)

Seriously though, i'm not away from my family and in a dangerous place...........

zoomer

Havana Brown is really this color, a registered breed of kitty cat.
havana_brown.jpg

Now if the kitty had to be put under we could make a catskin cap or gloves to remember her by. But it would be closer to seal brown than the russet shade ELC calls Havana. (Cat skin is the color of the cat's fur.)

havocpaul

ELC have been using the term Havana brown for a long time for their 'Time-Worn' A-2; I don't think Gary will be concerned about re-naming a hide because of GW or any other maker, I am personally glad to see they are continuing to update and improve their products and wish Gary continued success, in the last 12 months they launched the excellent pre-war Werber and the 'warhorse' hides and stunning Crown zip.

T-Bolt

I know that at one time ELC used a color called Havana Brown on a run of their Star A-2's and it was cowhide. I briefly owned one of these jackets.

Ted

Falcon_52

havocpaul said:
ELC have been using the term Havana brown for a long time for their 'Time-Worn' A-2; I don't think Gary will be concerned about re-naming a hide because of GW or any other maker, I am personally glad to see they are continuing to update and improve their products and wish Gary continued success, in the last 12 months they launched the excellent pre-war Werber and the 'warhorse' hides and stunning Crown zip.

Well said, Paul. I couldn't agree more.

Curahee

I have seen one up close, it's different from the picture on the website, it's lighter than their Monarch, no redtones it's
more of dull brown chocolate colour. The skin has more caracter too, more scars and mismatched. Otherwise it looks the
same as the old House style A-2.

hacker

Curahee said:
I still have a few "Esplendidos" from my last visit to Pinar Del Rio Cuba, truly wonderful cigars.

In the spirit of the VLJ "family"...feel free to send any of those remaining "dog rockets" over here ;)

Havahavana

A

Anonymous

hacker said:
HDRnR said:
I really dont care for those Havana colors, seem dull.

Now these are some beauties!........

http://www.habanodirect.com/shop1/home.asp

Hacker
When I was making the big bucks I had about 400 Cubans in my humidor, my favorite was the Monte Cristo #2. But I must say for a good consistently well made cigar the Hemingway line by Arturo Fuente, if you didn't have a lot of time to smoke the Short Story was great.

hacker

MarkP40 said:
hacker said:
HDRnR said:
I really dont care for those Havana colors, seem dull.

Hacker
When I was making the big bucks I had about 400 Cubans in my humidor, my favorite was the Monte Cristo #2. But I must say for a good consistently well made cigar the Hemingway line by Arturo Fuente, if you didn't have a lot of time to smoke the Short Story was great.

I concur entirely!......The Cuban Monty #2 is a great one!......They come my way every now and then ;) .....and they are savored!......Fuente is certainly 1st class, but they have managed to get their pricing up there. I remember 30 years back when nobody had heard of them, and they were a low priced smoke even in the dollar of that day. The go go 90's and the newbie cigar smokin' wannabe's got Fuente in the limelight, and off went their prices. Used to get a box of Hemingway's for around $50, and back then they were 25 to the box....Ah, the good old days!....slummin' it now with JR's deal of the week!.......I figure ya better enjoy em now 'cause Allan's Dem health nazi's will have them illegal before long.......wait till they latch on to his beer....he'll be singin' a different tune! :p

Hacker

Vcruiser

hacker said:
MarkP40 said:

Hacker

I concur entirely!......The Cuban Monty #2 is a great one!......They come my way every now and then ;) .....and they are savored!......Fuente is certainly 1st class, but they have managed to get their pricing up there. I remember 30 years back when nobody had heard of them, and they were a low priced smoke even in the dollar of that day. The go go 90's and the newbie cigar smokin' wannabe's got Fuente in the limelight, and off went their prices. Used to get a box of Hemingway's for around $50, and back then they were 25 to the box....Ah, the good old days!....slummin' it now with JR's deal of the week!.......I figure ya better enjoy em now 'cause Allan's Dem health nazi's will have them illegal before long.......wait till they latch on to his beer....he'll be singin' a different tune! :p

Hacker[/quote]

I always liked a good ole rum soaked Crook...or the MoonShine Crooks(crooked by hand)....goes good with Coke in a glass bottle laced with Planter's Salted Peanuts..OR the little SwisherSweets Cigarillos ....almost as good...with a vanilla creme soda in the glass bottle. Hey...don't knock it till you try it! ....maybe it's a Hoosier thing......

A

Anonymous

Vcruiser said:
hacker said:
MarkP40 said:

Hacker

Hacker

I always liked a good ole rum soaked Crook...or the MoonShine Crooks(crooked by hand)....goes good with Coke in a glass bottle laced with Planter's Salted Peanuts..OR the little SwisherSweets Cigarillos ....almost as good...with a vanilla creme soda in the glass bottle. Hey...don't knock it till you try it! ....maybe it's a Hoosier thing......[/quote]
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Ok maybe.

A

Anonymous

Oh forgot the flat Padron Anniversario, SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

A

Anonymous

I can't quite see Gary Eastman changing his strategies and products in response to a one man band :lol: . He has a much bigger and more lucrative market than 20 or so jacket nuts on a forum :) . As good as GW jackets are purported to be and as flavour of the month as they seem to some of you, they are not all things to all people. I have now bought two GW jackets and turned them both around sharpish as they weren't to my liking. Luckily as they were second hand I didn't lose money. It also shows that not every GW is a 'keeper' as others must think as I do. I wish John every success and I really admire him for what he is doing but I will not say black is white because a few other people see it that way. I like BMW's, others like Mercedes. I won't say that anyone who doesn't have a BMW is an ignorant idiot. I don't buy that kind of dogma.
Now bring on the storm and see who creeps out from under tha rug :twisted:
J_H

airfrogusmc

I agree with the fact I doubt Eastman is changing much of what it does and some of his new jackets look interesting. But I also wouldn't call Goodwear the flavor of the month or he only has a customer base of 20. The attention to detail that are exhibited in GW jackets (the newer ones) is just amazing. Judging early test jacket bought on e-bay or second hand to the jackets hes making now, well, you get the point. If GWs attention to detail gets some of the larger players like ELC to start doing the same then we all win because we all know the devils in the details...

shanghai joe

JACKET_ HEAD said:
I can't quite see Gary Eastman changing his strategies and products in response to a one man band :lol: . He has a much bigger and more lucrative market than 20 or so jacket nuts on a forum :) . As good as GW jackets are purported to be and as flavour of the month as they seem to some of you, they are not all things to all people. I have now bought two GW jackets and turned them both around sharpish as they weren't to my liking. Luckily as they were second hand I didn't lose money. It also shows that not every GW is a 'keeper' as others must think as I do. I wish John every success and I really admire him for what he is doing but I will not say black is white because a few other people see it that way. I like BMW's, others like Mercedes. I won't say that anyone who doesn't have a BMW is an ignorant idiot. I don't buy that kind of dogma.
Now bring on the storm and see who creeps out from under tha rug :twisted:
J_H

I concur........cos right is right to follow right were wisdom in scorn of consequence.

I've never had a gw so can't offer an opinion. Guess I never will........pas regrette

the lone grassphopper does not nibble with the swarm.......