• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Looks like this has been restored. The belt, collar and some seam taping looks fresh some how. Similarly some stitching looks different.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-Mosquito- ... 1|294%3A50

I think the leather has been conditioned but I do not think it has been restored beyond that. This jacket dates from 1943-4 and was probably mostly worn around the airbase by the Mosquito pilot so the condition is very good. I have several un-restored Irvins in a similar condition. As far as the stitching is concerned, as with A2s, you find variation in colours on Irvins as well, where different thread has been used or where some has faded in the sun. This is a wonderful small Irvin which should exceed £400 on Ebay.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:
Looks like this has been restored. The belt, collar and some seam taping looks fresh some how. Similarly some stitching looks different.

I think the leather has been conditioned but I do not think it has been restored beyond that. This jacket dates from 1943-4 and was probably mostly worn around the airbase by the Mosquito pilot so the condition is very good. I have several un-restored Irvins in a similar condition. As far as the stitching is concerned, as with A2s, you find variation in colours on Irvins as well, where different thread has been used or where some has faded in the sun. This is a wonderful small Irvin which should exceed £400 on Ebay.
Strange double seam around the mid section. Still think the belt is a new one. The left lower arm is a different colour.

jacketimp

hard call.......

sometimes it's the photo.....

lighting et al............

best thing is to have the babe in your paws........feel it.... smell it.... ( no DON'T lickeee)

otherwise it's just speculation....

Dr H

jacketimp said:
hard call.......

best thing is to have the babe in your paws........feel it.... smell it.... ( no DON'T lickeee)

Neh, step away from the Irvin... ;)

Looks to be a good specimen - given the position of the zip/puller the forearm shot appears to be the left arm, which would be the panel that appears to be of a different shade (which could be due to lighting/photography a Neh suggests). However, the grain appears to be consistent with the apparent age. It is, after all, a multipanel jacket and so the different colour may reflect this is - a different skin ageing slightly differently or having reacted differently to treatment?

I've always been in two minds about the later Irvin designs - although I have an earlier Links Irvin with two panels, I have always liked the multi-panel pattern (although the longer teddy bear fleece doesn't really appeal). Growing up in Southampton, with the association with Sunderland S25s and marine aviation, I used to be keen on the CC Irvins, but opted for the more traditional purchase (the early war Irvin) when the opportunity came...

When it has been really cold with wind and snow gusting, I've enjoyed wearing the hood up which works well and looks fitting with the early Irvin - without making me look like a yellow hooded gangsta... ;)

jacketimp

Dr H said:
jacketimp said:
hard call.......

Neh, step away from the Irvin... ;)

how can i step away when i've not stepped in..............

how can i pull out when i've not poked in......

imp/pokemon........as in poke a mon

Looks to be a good specimen - given the position of the zip/puller the forearm shot appears to be the left arm, which would be the panel that appears to be of a different shade (which could be due to lighting/photography a Neh suggests). However, the grain appears to be consistent with the apparent age. It is, after all, a multipanel jacket and so the different colour may reflect this is - a different skin ageing slightly differently or having reacted differently to treatment?

I've always been in two minds about the later Irvin designs - although I have an earlier Links Irvin with two panels, I have always liked the multi-panel pattern (although the longer teddy bear fleece doesn't really appeal). Growing up in Southampton, with the association with Sunderland S25s and marine aviation, I used to be keen on the CC Irvins, but opted for the more traditional purchase (the early war Irvin) when the opportunity came...

When it has been really cold with wind and snow gusting, I've enjoyed wearing the hood up which works well and looks fitting with the early Irvin - without making me look like a yellow hooded gangsta... ;)

Roughwear

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

Strange double seam around the mid section. Still think the belt is a new one. The left lower arm is a different colour.

John, having owned many of these jackets I can see no evidence for any restoration on this jacket. I have seen many original belts like this, in pristine condition. No repro maker as far as I know makes a belt with this colour thread or plain metal belt reinforcement rings. As you know mis-matched sheepskin was used in late War Irvins and this one is typical of Links' later production. The double seamtape at the front is not unusual and certainly not a later addition.

jacketimp

Roughwear said:
John Lever said:

John, having owned many of these jackets I can see no evidence for any restoration on this jacket. I have seen many original belts like this, in pristine condition. No repro maker as far as I know makes a belt with this colour thread or plain metal belt reinforcement rings. As you know mis-matched sheepskin was used in late War Irvins and this one is typical of Links' later production. The double seamtape at the front is not unusual and certainly not a later addition.

my moneys on l'rvin mastaaah...........

Andrew

Yep, i'm of the impression this one's a really nice solid original with the only detractor beings it's teeny size. Ol' Hogspear always presents his gear nicely too so you know what the item is as well.

Also with AS about the use of these in flight. I would want to do a bit more research than watching 633 Sq as to whether they were really used on Ops at that time. Most Mossie ops were at low level and they probably had adequate cockpit heating for winter- I know for a fact that Beaufighters at that time did and crews operating in Norway only wore BD.

havocpaul

from most of the research I've done over many years Mossie crew wouldn't have worn Irvins as the cockpits were well heated and as stated, many missions were at low-level. That's not to say they didn't have access to Irvins especially officers who could get pretty much anything if they tried!

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
from most of the research I've done over many years Mossie crew wouldn't have worn Irvins as the cockpits were well heated and as stated, many missions were at low-level. That's not to say they didn't have access to Irvins especially officers who could get pretty much anything if they tried!

I agree Paul. I own a near mint mid War Wareings Irvin which was issued to a Squadron Leader who flew Mossies. It in exceptional condition because it was not worn in a a cockpit, but just around the base and stored since the war.

Picture005a.jpg

Picture006a.jpg