• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin collar removal ?

John Lever

Apparently some WW2 pilots removed the collars from their jackets to improve visibility. Can anyone elucidate?

coanda

John,
I have certainly owned one Irvin which had a collar reduced in height. I think what is more likely with regard to Irvin's and fighter pilots was the anecdote given to me when I was fortunate enough to meet and share a few beers with Geoffrey Wellum,
He said of the Irvin Jacket,

" I never used one for flying it was just to big to fit in a Spitfire, but I wore it to the Pub as it was a great garment to assist in "Chatting up the ladies".

A true character and a true Gentleman, a real private to have spent some time with him.

Regards to all
Rick

Roughwear

I'm not saying it did not happen, but if it did I have yet to see a conventional Irvin with its collar removed in the War. However I have seen CC jackets where the hood has been cut down.

Roughwear

Not immediately though as they were worn extensively by bomber crew until the end of the war. Throughout the War Irvins were worn on the ground during chilly days!