• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Irvin Air Chute Jacket-Pre-War in a large size

Roughwear

Irvin Air Chute of Letchworth, Herts was the first maker of Irvin flying jackets from the early 1930s and continued to produce them for the rest of the decade and during the War. The quality of their jackets was usually excellent, especially the pre-War ones where the contracts were relatively small.

This jacket dates to just before the outbreak of War, i.e. 1938-9, when production of Irvin suits was stepped up for the RAF. It is made from extremely soft fleece, possibly lambskin, which was used to make some Irvins. Most of the original surface finish is in tact. The Dot Made in England zips are all original to the jacket and work perfectly. It has nine underarm vents (rather than the usual eight) and an eyelet ring on the female size of the belt are features only found on IAC jackets from this time. It shows little service wear and is an extremely comfortable jacket to wear.

Last edited:

Roughwear

Thanks John. It has lasted very well for a 75+ year old jacket! BTW. It has not been restored by me or by anyone else.

CBI

really super, looks like you are still pretty serious about collecting jackets!!!!!

Roughwear

really super, looks like you are still pretty serious about collecting jackets!!!!!

Thanks John and yes I'm still collecting jackets, but in a lesser way than I used to do several years ago as decent originals in my size are few and far between these days.

Roughwear

Mike, the eyelet on the buckle side was to prevent wear to the leather from the prong. It was only a feature of 1938-9 IAC jackets.

Ken at Aero Leather

Really nice jacket, it won't be lambskin however.
It's very rare to find an untrimmed lambskin over about 6 ft, most are around 4.5 to 5 Sq Ft.
The pelt will lose at least a foot in trimming so it would be near on impossible, nay impossible, to cut the fronts or sleeves for an Irvin much above a 36" chest from a lambskin.
Sheepskins, on the other hand, are genearally around 8 to 9 Sq Ft, big Aussie or US pelts can reach 12 SqFt. They'd still need trimming too, of course
Lambskin would also be quite weak in comparison to sheepskin and unsuitable for use as a Flight Jacket
Here's a more suitable use for lambskin.............http://britishcondoms.uk/lamb-skin-condoms/?gclid=CKDBgdLc3MsCFUyeGwodl5oMaQ
Beats wrapping an Irvin around one's weapon too I suppose?

Roughwear

Really nice jacket, it won't be lambskin however.
It's very rare to find an untrimmed lambskin over about 6 ft, most are around 4.5 to 5 Sq Ft.
The pelt will lose at least a foot in trimming so it would be near on impossible, nay impossible, to cut the fronts or sleeves for an Irvin much above a 36" chest from a lambskin.
Sheepskins, on the other hand, are genearally around 8 to 9 Sq Ft, big Aussie or US pelts can reach 12 SqFt. They'd still need trimming too, of course
Lambskin would also be quite weak in comparison to sheepskin and unsuitable for use as a Flight Jacket
Here's a more suitable use for lambskin.............http://britishcondoms.uk/lamb-skin-condoms/?gclid=CKDBgdLc3MsCFUyeGwodl5oMaQ
Beats wrapping an Irvin around one's weapon too I suppose?

Thanks Ken. The pre-War IAC adverts said they were made of lambskin. This is from a 1939 advert. "THE Irvinsuit is a two-piece with perfect air-seals at the waist, wrists, neck and ankles, compounded of clever ideas—and made from wind- and water-proof reversed lambskin with a marvellously soft surface." Perhaps the lambs they were thinking of were nearly fully grown sheep.

John Lever

I bought some skins from Fenland tannery a few years ago and was surprised to see how small they were. I have seen mule sheep as big as donkeys, well almost.