• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing my new custom Bates Cafe jacket

I just got delivery of my custom made Bates Cafe Racer jacket;
- 1950s Cafe Racer jacket in black 4 OZ steerhide.
- Custom siize 40 with 24.5 inches sleeves, 25inches body length.
-Custom zipper sleeves ( Talon NOS old brass #5).
-two standard zippered breast pocket leather lined ( Talon NOS old brass #5 zippers), one standard G1 style inside pocket, leather lined with matching black snap closure.
-Jacket lined with black satin nylon (standard).
-Genuine Bates Leathers tag with a US made tag.
-3 inches double leather on bottom hem(custom).
-Collar with 2 snap black button closure (custom).
-Double leather wind flap.
-Antique brass 2 way NOS Talon #9 zip and brass side buckles.
-OD black thread for all seams.
The jacket fit, workmanship, materials and attention to detail is simple outstanding.
Here few pics:

CarlosPICS771.jpg

CarlosPICS776.jpg

CarlosPICS777.jpg

CarlosPICS774.jpg

CarlosPICS775.jpg

Tommer45 said:
How's the jacket breaking in?

Hello Tommer;
Quite honestly it feels like is already broke in.
Way different than my Lost Worlds jackets, that I still breaking in.
However since I will just use this Bates for summer rides it's all good!

Falcon_52

Very nice jacket, 1087. The jacket does look pretty pliable in your pictures. I wonder if Bates tumbles their hides before construction to soften them up a bit. As you said, Lost Worlds is pretty stiff out of the box but the Bates looks ready to go.

Ride safe,

Noel

Atticus

That is really one of the best looking MC jackets I've seen on this forum. I have to admit, though, when I first saw this thread, I puzzled as to whether the Bates Cafe was anywhere near the Bates Motel.

AF

Falcon_52 said:
Very nice jacket, 1087. The jacket does look pretty pliable in your pictures. I wonder if Bates tumbles their hides before construction to soften them up a bit. As you said, Lost Worlds is pretty stiff out of the box but the Bates looks ready to go.

Ride safe,

Noel

They said that's very stiff ( compared to their normal cowhide), which I found to be very soft,
For me since I'm used to 4 OZ LW HH, this Bates it's ready to go like you said.

Atticus said:
That is really one of the best looking MC jackets I've seen on this forum. I have to admit, though, when I first saw this thread, I puzzled as to whether the Bates Cafe was anywhere near the Bates Motel.

AF

Thanks for your compliments Atticus!
It is a great design that I happened to modified to my specs and the final product it's great, IMHO!
I'm not aware of the Bates Motel, do they make jackets? :?

arclight

1087 said:
Atticus said:

AF

Thanks for your compliments Atticus!
It is a great design that I happened to modified to my specs and the final product it's great, IMHO!
I'm not aware of the Bates Motel, do they make jackets? :?

"On a dark desert highway,....... up ahead in the distance, Janet Leigh saw a shimmering light......... Her head grew heavy and her sight grew dim, she had to stop for the night.......... You can check out anytime you like , but you can never leave."

Norman Bates saw to it that she could never leave!

Surely you got it now 1087?

I remember seeing your LW over at the FL and your Bates appears just as awesome!

RCSignals

1087 said:
RCSignals said:
1087 is your Lost Worlds jacket horse or steer?

It's a 4 OZ steerhide.

I'm confused again. The Bates is 4 OZ steerhide and the Lost Worlds is also 4 OZ steerhide ?

Lost Worlds does offer cow or Steer now but their main hide is Horse it seems.

RCSignals said:
1087 said:
RCSignals said:
1087 is your Lost Worlds jacket horse or steer?

It's a 4 OZ steerhide.

I'm confused again. The Bates is 4 OZ steerhide and the Lost Worlds is also 4 OZ steerhide ?

Lost Worlds does offer cow or Steer now but their main hide is Horse it seems.

Hi again RC; the 4 OZ steerhide is the Bates jacket that originated this thread, like I described in the first post.
I miss read your question, sorry for the wrong answer.
All my Lost Worlds motorcycle jackets are horsehide made, they are great material ( the jackets) for a new thread/s.

RCSignals

Thanks 1087

I'm just trying to understand the comparison between teh two, and since the LW are Horse the stated difference is more understandable

Yes please do start another thread with the LW, I'd like to see them.