• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

interesting WW II jacket--wish it could talk

a2jacketpatches

Think Dave got it, Korea. I'm a Collins and don't think that's Chinese. I've actually got my name translated so If I can find it I'll confirm.

Jason

Interesting indeed. It does look Hangul, I'll ask my daughter, she speaks the language.

Dr H

I have a bid on it, based on the style, hadn't considered any other significance of the patch.

dmar836

Interestingly and mentioned here before, the dialects(does that technically include writing?), not to mention the diversity, of the Asian languages in the mid-20th century are often hard to interpret accurately today.
A friend could only give me an overall idea of one war paint item but thought her mother might get closer. Just said it was "from the old language".
Just FYI,
Dave

unclegrumpy

Do you guys really believe this is a WW II era jacket?

To me, it looks to be 10 to 20+ years after the war...though that is not based on any specific knowledge of these A & F jackets. The name tag is also done in a style that is typical to the Korean War to the early 1960's...which I think again fits with the rest of it.

If I were to venture a guess as to the history of this one, I'd either pick it was purchased and worn by Collins after he was out of the service and gained a few pounds or Collins was a civilian in an aviation related job working overseas....probably in some way connected to the military.

Brent

If Spencer Stewart's Talon Zipper Identification and Dating is correct, that is a 1950's modern Talon.

Roughwear

This Talon puller dates to the 1950s for sure. However the puller itself could be a later replacement.

Maverickson

dmar836 said:
I dont think it's WWII.

Hi All,

Now this his piqued my interest.

Am I missing something here? I thought I was looking at the same blackened brass Talon zipper assembly on this jacket also found on most late War (AN model) USN jackets.

Cheers, Dave

Roughwear

Maverickson said:
dmar836 said:
I dont think it's WWII.

Hi All,

Am I missing something here? I thought I was looking at the same blackened brass Talon zipper assembly on this jacket also found on most late War (AN model) USN jackets.

Cheers, Dave

I think you should look again, Dave. ;)

Maverickson

Roughwear said:
Maverickson said:
dmar836 said:
I dont think it's WWII.

Hi All,

Cheers, Dave

I think you should look again, Dave. ;)

Hi All,

Contacted the seller and got these pix of the zipper zipper assembly.

Unless that isn't a blackened brass marked Talon zipper assembly it sure looks legit to me.

Cheers, Dave

Maverickson

Hi All,

Just got that seller to come clean with me as to whether or not that zip's female connection point is stamped with TALON or not. This seller seems to have wanted to dance around the subject and or not come completely clean. As for one reason or anther all of his provided images are not completely clear. Even had to ask him twice if TALON is or is not stamped on the female side of that zip. He finally answered me that it is NOT.

Since that is the case, I cam say emphatically, this jacket dates post WW-2 and there is probably no telling as to exactly when it was made.

Cheers, Dave

Roughwear

My guess is that Abercrombie & Fitch, who had sold W&G AN-J3 jackets in the 1940s, commissioned further jackets in the early 1950s as private purchases for USAF pilots during the Korean War. The same basic design was retained and the current civi Talon zips were used.