• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting documentary of US pilots in England

unclegrumpy

chamboid said:
So American pilots flew Spitfires during the war. All Be it unarmed.
Armed ones too...though mostly in the MTO fairly early on in the war....for the AAF's involvement that is :D

Spitfire-MkIXc-USAAF-31FG309FS-WZ-JJ-J-Fawcett-Italy-1943-01.jpg

TankBuster

unclegrumpy said:
chamboid said:
Armed ones too...though mostly in the MTO fairly early on in the war....for the AAF that is :D

Indeed! The 31st Fighter Group was one of them. I have a group to a guy that flew spits with the 31st fighter group. He was shot down in aug '42 and held in Stalag Luft 3 the rest of the war.

stanier

Let's not forget the three squadrons of American pilots who flew aircraft including armed Spits with the RAF before the US joined WWII

chamboid

Yes of course I was aware of them, that's interesting as well, I'm surprised there hasn't been a film or tv drama made of that. But US marked spitfires I wasn't aware of.

They look odd, the image of the camouflage painted spis with British roundles is so ingrained in memeroy and nostalgia

Smithy

unclegrumpy said:
chamboid said:
Armed ones too...though mostly in the MTO fairly early on in the war....for the AAF's involvement that is :D

Yup, as well as Yank PR Spits there were armed ones. The 3 Eagles Squadrons transferred to the USAAF with their Vbs and flew them until they traded them on for P-47s. And the 31st FG flew Vs, VIIIs and IXs in the MTO.

Thanks to the OP for posting that link, most enjoyable.

Stony

And Mosquito's.

"Night Intruder" ace Lou Luma lives near me and is our ace advisor at the Museum of Flight in Seattle. He flew Mosquitos with the RCAF and had five victories.

"night intruder" is the title Lou prefers to be called.