• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting discussion on use of Pecards/other dressings

John Lever

Good advice I would say, particularly for antique jackets. Repro's would suffer less damage though I would think, if used sparingly.
I use Nuetrogena on my jackets as well as my hands. It does not contain white spirit/petroleum.

Chandler

NONE of them used any sort of treatment on their leather material AT ALL.

Sounds like a good way to watch your investment deteriorate, though I saw the claims that some treatments actually heighten deterioration, I find that hard to believe if it's an all natural type of treatment (i.e no petroleum or other chemical additives).

I've used Connoly's and Pecard's with good frequency and have only seen that whitish ghosting appear a little. I added some more treatment, buffed, and it's never returned. I have a '50s G-1 that took well to the Pecards with no darkening or whitening. My shoes love the boot oil too.

Dunno. But saddle soap? Who in their right mind..?

Chandler

Chandler

deeb7 said:
John Lever said:
Apparently saddle soap rots stitching, or so a stable girl told me ...

Isn't that neatsfoot oil?

I've heard the same about the saddle soap -- dries it out terribly too. Haven't heard that about neat's foot oil. I would presume that, because it's natural oil, it would retard rotting, but who knows?

Chandler

Andrew

Dave, some homework, could you also pls google up what kind of animal a Neat is as well and how they extract it from their feet thanks there's a good chap?

John Lever

Leadsky said:
Dave, some homework, could you also pls google up what kind of animal a Neat is as well and how they extract it from their feet thanks there's a good chap?
Is this a p**s take ? :lol:
Neat is a generic term for cattle. It's an oil extracted from cows feet, that's why during the mad cow disease era it was unobtainable.
Don't ever use it on leather, it will completely bu**er it .

johnwayne

What about Eastmans 'Hide Food'? I bought a jar some time ago and have used it sparingly on a couple of repros, just as and when I think they need it but on an original I'd be very hesitant.

Some time ago we had a leather sofa etc and was advised to treat it like your own skin ie wash gently with mild non detergent/perfumed soap and then wipe it over with milk (didn't Cleopatra bath in milk?)! Must admit it did always come up clean but just needed a buffing to get a sheen on it but it did last years. Did the fly boys ever treat thier jackets? Guess not, probably too busy fighting a war!!

Roughwear's your man - Andrew must know what does and doesn't work, having restored so many in his time!!!

Wayne

rich

I tried Eastman's Hide Food too, but I found it too pungent to want to use it again. Maybe it's different now though? Pecards has little or no smell in comparison.....

Isisllc

I have an inexpensive repro (steerhide) that I used Pecards on. Until then, I had no problem with staining on the neck, and after that, stains! I've tried several things to clean the stains and have reduced them considerably, but still wonder...

Falcon_52

I use Kiwi brand saddlesoap on my jackets and boots. It doesn't contain neatsfoot oil - it has lanolin in it, though. It works very well for cleaning dirt and grime off of leather.

After wiping off the saddlesoap, if the leather looks like it needs conditioner I'll put a little bit on. Usually, I don't feel the need to.

Noel

Doug C

Ah, god all the pushing of conditioners especially Pecards for newish jackets is a big pet peave of mine... leather jackets don't need it for a very long time IMHO. But, alot of folks convince others that they must get pecards on a jacket as soon as possible or the thing will go to hell quickly. You'd think these guys worked for pecards, it's like a cult! I guess it has to do with the fact that most hobbies come with a certain amount of extra's to buy and spend money and time with, but not so much with leather jackets and so once someone has invested in an expensive leather jacket, they feel like there has to be more to it. I may be in the minority on this (wouldn't be the first time) but I like my jacket to age and look like it's been around the block a time or two, I'd hate for it to look new like it was just unpacked forever. Now, I do believe pecards has it's place.. like on the dried out vintage medicine ball I bought or any old dry leather article. I have a tub of it myself for those situations.

Doug C

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Doug C said:
I may be in the minority on this (wouldn't be the first time) but I like my jacket to age and look like it's been around the block a time or two, I'd hate for it to look new like it was just unpacked forever.

Over use of Pecards? You might be in a minority ..... but it certainly isn't a minority of one. ;)