• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inspector Stamp Help Please

RayR

If you have 1 or more wartime original A-2 jackets with the original lining including the inspectors stamp, please help.

Please measure the stamp and tell me the proper diameter. Better yet, take a picture of a ruler along side the stamp and I can see for myself.

Next, I would like to know where to buy one. Repro is fine.

I now have 2 original A-2's and they both have non original linings which were not given the stamp. I would like to correct that.

I would also appreciate any quick pics of the interior of your jacket showing the stamp placement. Please help educate me. :geek:

Thanks

Roughwear

Ray, the size of the inspector's stamp varied enormously from under 1cm on Doniger A2s to just over 2cm on the 42-18246P (Knopf) contract. There were inspectors assigned to specific contractors' factories and therefore in each contract run there was at least one personal numbered stamp in the lining of selected jackets. Therefore you will need to link the correct inspectors' stamp to the original contracts you have. I would recommend you read Gary Eastman's Type A2 Flight Jacket Identification Manual which should answer some of the questions you ask on the forum. There are people who sell stamps on Ebay, but most are the winged star lining stamps.