• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info On OD Cotton Army Ballcaps?

Jaydee

I am looking for one of those older cloth type OD Green army ballcaps. Does anyone know what they are called, or if anyone makes a repro of them?

Thanks!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
Thanks D but I think I was looking more along the lines of a Korean War Era one similar to this ....

Oh okay ...

The M-1951 field cap, or fatigue hat, is formally known as the "Cap, Field, Cotton, Wind Resistant, Poplin, M-1951.

5,800 Yen :eek: Holy smokes!!

$62.00 ... :)

watchmanjimg

deeb7 said:
Jaydee said:
Thanks D but I think I was looking more along the lines of a Korean War Era one similar to this ....

Oh okay ...

The M-1951 field cap, or fatigue hat, is formally known as the "Cap, Field, Cotton, Wind Resistant, Poplin, M-1951.

5,800 Yen :eek: Holy smokes!!

$62.00 ... :)

This one appears to be a sateen utility cap worn by the Navy and/or Marine Corps (with EGA stencil) from the mid-to-late 1950s well into the Cold War period. The M-1951 field cap is constructed of poplin as David points out, but sports flannel-lined inner earflaps for cooler weather. If you're looking for a standard fatigue cap of the type worn in the Korean War era, you need an Army M1943 cap. Although it had the railroad-style crown construction, it was made from herringbone twill fabric and is easily distinguished from the sateen Navy type. The visor is a bit smaller as well.

The good news is that decent repros can be had fairly inexpensively if you're looking for a beater. Check out this link:

http://www.atthefront.com/us/headgear/h ... mym1943cap

I have one of these myself along with an original. Happy Hunting! :D