• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible D-Pocket! Should I buy it?

Faster

There's an incredible D-pocket over on the Fedora Lounge that's made by Aero and being offered by an American retailer. I wanted to see what you the members in here thought of the jacket before I purchased it. It's a cross between a Buco J-24, a Buco J-71, and an Indian Ranger.

Here are the changes, as quoted on The Fedora Lounge, that have been made to the base model 1950s Buco J-24:

"What we did was take the general model of the Buco J-24 and revise it with a slimmer type of back (just cressant gussets instead of a full-action back, a little bit like a Buco J-71 or Indian Ranger jacket), some added length to both the body and the arms, and a coin pocket that's more sturdy using a squared-off flap (most original Buco J-24s have the coin pocket flap all screwed up due to the curvature of the flap)..."

The jacket has NOS, historically accurate Talon brass zippers and looks to be very, very trim, which can't be said of all D-pocket replicas...

Here are the pictures. Impressions...? I really like the back style, without the clunky full-action back...what do you think? That horsehide looks like it's to die for! Great real fur collar too!

J106Front.jpg

J106Back.jpg

Vcruiser

Yep..I saw it on the lounge. I like the features...and the way it is set up. I don't see how you could do any better IMO.
Van

Faster

Vcruiser said:
Yep..I saw it on the lounge. I like the features...and the way it is set up. I don't see how you could do any better IMO.
Van

Thanks for your opinion Van. I really think I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. It's too great of a D-pocket to pass up and I like the fact that it combines a lot of aspects from all of my favorite vintage jackets!

Any other thoughts from VLJ forum members?

MikeyB-17

Go for it. Jackets like that don't look good on me, but I still love 'em, and that looks like a beauty.

Faster

I guess others here like the D-Pocket as much as I do.

It's looking pretty unanimous here that I should pull out my credit card and buy the sucker!?

Vcruiser

Faster said:
I guess others here like the D-Pocket as much as I do.

It's looking pretty unanimous here that I should pull out my credit card and buy the sucker!?

Just make sure of 'fit'. Wade does emphasize..trim trim...and keep in mind that Aero's regular FQHH is very heavy.
Van

Vcruiser

Faster said:
How do you think this jacket would compare to a Lost Worlds J-23 replica?

Well LW has hvy FQHH as well....but not the unique features of this Aero 'special'. Do you ride? For me..6' 2"..185 lbs(Tall&kinda lean) this longer body and sleeve length would be ideal for me on my bike...plus I like the type of action back on this Aero jacket. However..I must admit that I'm kinda bias. I own quite a few Aero jackets. LW has some pretty good pics on their site. Check both of them out closely. What's the price difference?
Van

Faster

Vcruiser said:
Faster said:
How do you think this jacket would compare to a Lost Worlds J-23 replica?

Well LW has hvy FQHH as well....but not the unique features of this Aero 'special'. Do you ride? For me..6' 2"..185 lbs(Tall&kinda lean) this longer body and sleeve length would be ideal for me on my bike...plus I like the type of action back on this Aero jacket. However..I must admit that I'm kinda bias. I own quite a few Aero jackets. LW has some pretty good pics on their site. Check both of them out closely. What's the price difference?
Van

This Aero is $1250, which is pretty good given the zippers and fur collar. That's cheaper than Lost Worlds, right? You and I are about the same height and weight, so, I agree, the longer sleeve and body length is very appealing! I also like the idea of having something that could be the jacket to have 60 years from now. I think the jacket makes some improvements on the J-24. And I do like the fact that the jacket is quite trim. Insurrection really seems to go for the trim fitting jackets, which, IMHO, is a very appealing aesthetic.

Faster

Vcruiser said:
Faster said:
bseal said:

What don't you like about it? Do you like the Lost Worlds J-23 better?

I think that bseal meant that the Aero isn't cheaper than the LW. the LW J-23 is..or was $1200..if I remember correctly.

Oh, I get it. But, don't you pay a lot more than $50 for NOS Talon zips with Lost Worlds?

bseal

It's a nice jacket, and I agree with Van. Diamond Dave is launching his line, high quality and terrific price. Now where did I put that link?

Faster

bseal said:
It's a nice jacket, and I agree with Van. Diamond Dave is launching his line, high quality and terrific price. Now where did I put that link?

I saw the link. I wasn't a fan of the brown zipper tape and there looked to be some construction "issues" (stitch work, zipper placement, etc.) as well. Yet, it did look like a nice jacket.

Vcruiser

Faster said:
I think that bseal meant that the Aero isn't cheaper than the LW. the LW J-23 is..or was $1200..if I remember correctly.

Oh, I get it. But, don't you pay a lot more for NOS Talon zips with Lost Worlds?[/quote]

I don't know...probably. I've never purchased directly from them..although I've had a couple of their jackets from eBay.

What don't you like about it? Do you like the Lost Worlds J-23 better?[/quote]

I think that bseal meant that the Aero isn't cheaper than the LW. the LW J-23 is..or was $1200..if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Oh, I get it. But, don't you pay a lot more than $50 for NOS Talon zips with Lost Worlds?[/quote]

Basically you love that new Aero adventure with Wade, so if I'm you just pull the trigger.
Having said that the jacket is not a J 23 repro, it's a mix of a J23, J71 and Indian Ranger jacket, so IMHO the comparison with a LW J 23 is not adequate.
FWIW the LW J23 has standard Talon #9 main zipper and # 5 Talon sleeves and pockets zippers as standard feature.
Show us your pics when you get the jacket.

Faster

1087 said:
What don't you like about it? Do you like the Lost Worlds J-23 better?

I think that bseal meant that the Aero isn't cheaper than the LW. the LW J-23 is..or was $1200..if I remember correctly.[/quote]

Oh, I get it. But, don't you pay a lot more than $50 for NOS Talon zips with Lost Worlds?[/quote]

Basically you love that new Aero adventure with Wade, so if I'm you just pull the trigger.
Having said that the jacket is not a J 23 repro, it's a mix of a J23, J71 and Indian Ranger jacket, so IMHO the comparison with a LW J 23 is not adequate.
FWIW the LW J23 has standard Talon #9 main zipper and # 5 Talon sleeves and pockets zippers as standard feature.
Show us your pics when you get the jacket.[/quote]

You're right 1087--I like it, I should get it. I'll call Insurrection first thing tomorrow. This really is going to be great! Thanks for all of the feedback. As I'm sure you all know, it's an expensive jacket, so it's best to think on it a day or two. That time is up, so I'm going for it! Thanks again.