• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impressive Pilot lot on ebay

shanghai joe

Joe, as you know I only by jackets to wear. The Poughkeepsie is a size 40 and too small! The collection should belong in a museum IMO.[/quote]

aaaaaaaaaah so we have the following:

a) wearers
b) wannabes
c) connosieurs
d) collectors

and then the sub categories:

e) preeeeny peacocks
f) repro queens

sure call me shit if it makes you feel better........ :lol:

Lignemaginot

Well, I was high bidder for all of 30 minutes or so (in the low $5k). However, some guy with private feedback and only 9 bids ever placed on ebay got involved, and now it's getting up there. Oh well; 10 minutes left. If I had to guess, I'd say that it will end up going to a big-time CBI collector in New Hampshire. HE once paid almost $2000 for a Bancroft crusher of mine with China Airlines insignia.

Lignemaginot

Wow - I honestly thought that it would go for a lot more than that. I was trying to convince myself that I could make prints from the negatives and sell them on ebay to get my money back over time.... Given my financial situation, I'm glad I didn't talk myself into it.

TankBuster

I was off by $76. What do I win :lol: I'm not suprised at all. Nothing related to this airman. I thought it was of more value for a WWII photo collector vs a jacket collector. Still a nice set of items regardless.

taikonaut

Compared to that WASP jacket which sold for over $6k this is a bargain. I collect Japanese swords owned by Samurai and high ranking officers also bought them off Japanese dealers so it
doesnt bother me that it went to a Japanese buyer because he earned the right to bid and as historical items it ensures history is passed on to everyone even former foes, hopefully it fosters acknowledgment over what happened during the war over there.

shanghai joe

taikonaut said:
Compared to that WASP jacket which sold for over $6k this is a bargain. I collect Japanese swords owned by Samurai and high ranking officers also bought them off Japanese dealers so it
doesnt bother me that it went to a Japanese buyer because he earned the right to bid and as historical items it ensures history is passed on to everyone even former foes, hopefully it fosters acknowledgment over what happened during the war over there.

haiiiiiiiiiiiii...........nihonto..............juyos and tokujos, taikonaut-san??

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:
I was off by $76. What do I win :lol: I'm not suprised at all. Nothing related to this airman. I thought it was of more value for a WWII photo collector vs a jacket collector. Still a nice set of items regardless.

the groupo will fetch more if sold piecemeal.......the dagger jkt, wings and A2.....photos.....gotta have a lot of patience breaking em up and selling piecemeals.......

Jeff you're put only by $76.........I'm out by $276.........guess I'm l'apprentice!

shanghai joe

Peter Graham said:
It went to the land of the rising sun, which is quite sad really.

why????

think hiroshima and nagasaki.........every nation has her stories! should be herstories NOT histories!

the history of humankind is written in..........blood.... my unworthy opinion

shanghai joe

TankBuster said:

agreed........three photos related to vet??? id........log book, mission charts........nada nada...only 14th AAF. no squaddies, BGs (no NOT Bee Gees)........

of course you could say it's sour grapes!!! and you're prob right!

Andrew

Miles_Archer said:
Peter Graham said:
It went to the land of the rising sun, which is quite sad really.

No sadder than A-2s off to Ireland.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Aside from that remark I do think it would have been good for this lot to reside in a Stateside Museum- or Jeff's place.

shanghai joe

the eternal question........how deeeeep are you wliling to dig into your pockets???

or to quote a song...........how deeeeeeeeeep is your love.............for the jkt?

shanghai joe

taikonaut said:

agreed nihonto and militaria seek out their keepers.........

there are great juyos and tokujos residing in the west..........NOT only in Nipon, altho national treasures can be owned by foreigners but must reside in Nipon, from what I understand.But what do I know I'm not into nihontos......

Roughwear

Interesting about the destinations of jackets etc..

I really thought this was going to be your once in a lifetime deal Joe. Never mind I'm sure that nr mint 8th AAF painted A2 will come your way some day. ;)

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:

I really thought this was going to be your once in a lifetime deal Joe. Never mind I'm sure that nr mint 8th AAF painted A2 will come your way some day. ;)

naw...........one thing is the honeys and secondly I don't see no pilot ids, letters, wings with commendation letters, flying logs etc etc. for this grouping.

Dang, there's no mention of which squadron/group he flew in..........just a generic 14th AAF.

..sure 800 generic photos and negatives and how many vet specific photos that i can count with one hand (despite rumours to the contrary I have five fully functioning fingers)

.........I've never mentioned in this posting that this is MY once in my lifetime deal.........not me sireeeeeeeee you must confuse me with some other members! Neither have I mentioned it as my grail........ :)

and if I'm paying that king of honeys, I'll expect more.........more..more !

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:

that near mint 8th AAF is costing the better part of $6500 and the owner isn't going to part with it over his live body! Not that I have that kind of bread, y'understand! :(