• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Impressive Pilot lot on ebay

Andrew

An amazing grouping- the jacket is sensational and all those shots- wow. I wonder how much the Family got for it. I hope a Museum manages to spot it.

Shame it doesn't all stay in the family, i've not met a Vet yet that hasn't passed on their stuff to others in the family (though I do live in hope! :cool: )

asiamiles

When the seller says:
"The only other thing the family kept was his ribbon medals (they were displayed in a shadow box) and they also kept one dogtag
I insisted on one of them when I bought the grouping"
...I guess he means he insisted on having one rather than insisting the family keep one?

That collection seems almost priceless...it seems a shame the family didn't lend or donate it to a museum. But yes, it would be interesting to know how much the seller paid for the collection...a few hundred dollars maybe?

TankBuster

Excellent grouping indeed. I'm sure the seller paid less than half of what it is already at :( . I agree, that it more than likely will be pieced out after purchase. There's no way a museum (more than likely on limited funds) will be able to beat out the collectors when it comes down to it.
One observation, when I first scrolled thru the pics of the jacket, the name strip struck me as odd. A friend had already told me there were pics of him wearing it before I looked at it. I assumed it must be good. But, when I finallly got to the pic of him wearing the jacket, lone behold, no name strip in the picture. The name strip appears to be made by using a typewriter. Very odd. More than likely correct, but I noticed it instantly as being off a little, especially for a CBI jacket.
Still a great grouping that will go for big money just based on all the items included. I have to at least give the seller credit for listing it on Ebay all together. Most guys wouldn't have done that.

Roughwear

Jeff, I agree with you about keeping the grouping together. It will appeal to a range of collectors, not just those who collect flying jackets. The photos provide a unique record of aspects of the War in the CBI theatre and really the entire collection should be in a museum.

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:
shanghai joe said:
only deeeeeeeeeeeep pockets and heavy wallets need apply!

Well that rules most of out on the forum. ;)

not if you liquidate all yer irvins, A2s and gws..........heee heeeee

one masterpeice is worth a few almost theres............ :lol:

Roughwear

shanghai joe said:
Roughwear said:
shanghai joe said:
only deeeeeeeeeeeep pockets and heavy wallets need apply!

Well that rules most of out on the forum. ;)

not if you liquidate all yer irvins, A2s and gws..........heee heeeee

one masterpeice is worth a few almost theres............ :lol:

Joe, as you know I only by jackets to wear. The Poughkeepsie is a size 40 and too small! The collection should belong in a museum IMO.

Fantastic set , the seller should charge just to look at the ebay posting, it's a super piece of history . The photos are excellent, I really liked the one of the lightning .

Shame the pistol,s not included , anyone know what type it is and whether it was standard issue.

How much will the lot go for ?????

TankBuster

I don't believe the pistol was issued. Airmen were normally give the 1911 or 1911A1, but don't quote me on that! ;)
I'll take a guess at around $6,200.

tamoko

I think some people can pay in last moment 20.000 -> or more
Alone Jacket coast 6000
This is really Rare grouping, you can find new car later, but probably never see one grouping like this.

taikonaut

Shoulder holsters were mostly Engler Kress or Boyt for a Colt .44
but I am unfamiliar with this type.

asiamiles

TankBuster said:
One observation, when I first scrolled thru the pics of the jacket, the name strip struck me as odd. A friend had already told me there were pics of him wearing it before I looked at it. I assumed it must be good. But, when I finallly got to the pic of him wearing the jacket, lone behold, no name strip in the picture. The name strip appears to be made by using a typewriter. Very odd. More than likely correct, but I noticed it instantly as being off a little, especially for a CBI jacket.
Well spotted. Even in a listing like this you cannot just take everything for granted. The name tag may simply have been applied after the photo was taken. If it's a more recent addition...?