• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idle members..

rikbb

I spend a lot of time working on my computer,
so I have to be careful not to spend most of my time watching forums and ebay.
But this is such a wonderful place. The place to find an answer to those questions nobody else can answer (at least not google).
I do not have many jackets to boast about, but I check this place every morning to see what others have got to show.

Rutger

Peter Graham said:
A worrying thing that I've noticed is that a number of regular posters have disappeared and two members have told me via PM that they have stopped posting for reasons that I'd rather not divulge.

The first part I have noticed as well.
As for the second part : since even the general nature of the problem is left to anyone's imagination, people have to guess.

Bring it out. What's the use of signalling there's a problem and then not tell what the problem is.

I have not seen any blunt ranting, calling names etc.

Let me guess:

Less new knowledge is being brought in.
Experts with detail knowledge have left (one way or another) so jacket discussions have less depth.
The average thread is less jacket oriented than they used to be.
Some people have left (one way or the other), so other people who got along well on a personal level with them have left as well.
All has been said about flight jackets, and anything new is just be a repetition of what has been said before.

Peter Graham

Rutger said:
As for the second part : since even the general nature of the problem is left to anyone's imagination, people have to guess.Bring it out. What's the use of signalling there's a problem and then not tell what the problem is.
I can't do that. I have been contacted via private message. I have to respect that. All your guesses are wrong. I think one of the members is just fed up and the other one has a problem with certain members so it's not a problem with the forum itself, just a personal matter. I've got a few ideas about what might help make the forum more active and I'll air them when I've got time but they might not be very popular.

watchmanjimg

Thankfully I'm still within the top 20 members in terms of post count, but I haven't been nearly as active of late. Mostly it's due to heavier-than-average personal and professional commitments, but it runs a bit deeper than that. When I check the new posts I just don't feel the same spark anymore. It's not because I don't still love jackets as I continue to accumulate them and am in fact in the process of ordering 2 new Goodwear A-2s. I think it has more to do with the loss of certain key members, censorship, and the generally nastier tone of many recent discussions. The wrangling simply gets old, and many of the underlying topics aren't interesting enough to overlook it.

I have absolutely no intention of quitting VLJ, but when deciding what to do with my limited free time I tend to consider other options a bit more than I used to. I anxiously await Peter's suggestions on how to change things around here.

flyboy

I check this spot out at least twice a day. Always enjoys the different posts although there are subjects and categories where I have never been. I probably never will go, because I am not interested. And because of my limited interest, I do not post as often either.
I can not say, I've been offended or neglected - on the contrary. I find most people here very helpful, knowledgable and positive.

I also understands why some of the "oldtimers" drop out. After some years, questions seem to repeat themselves, the same subjects come up again and again as new!!!! After all, what more can you say, that - after 5 years - hasn't been said about a leatherjacket?

So - history repeats itself. Old members fade out new come in. And with that the language, the feeling and the tone of conversation changes. Not always for the badder. Sometimes it's OK to open the window... ;)

ausreenactor

The three key contributing factors that I think heavily impacted on the 'vibe' of the forum, and the level of input are as follows:

1. David Brown's sudden passing (absolutely irreplaceable) - life is too short to focus on jackets and ignoring the people over your shoulder?;
2. Good Wear won the 'Ultimate Maker' title with regard to jackets, advertising endorsements and volume of post support; and
3. Ettiquette kind of went out the window in favour of dollars - Profits are easy to extract from your peers? :(

I could be way off; however, there are many here that have been around for many years on this iteration of the forum and the earlier ones. In recent years I chose not focus on A-2s exclusively, (after a Makumbe-like spending flurry on all the ELC original maker contract A-2s) and attempted to create a timeline of flying clothing from the 30s to Vietnam and beyond. When I attained an enhanced working knowledge of jackets based on reference material from my peers, and their recommended links and books, I looked at it and then dawned on me a rack of jackets was taking up room. And I am the only one getting any inkling of satisfaction from it? I have grown up a bit, and moved through the ranks and am now in a better position to buy the high end items, but choose not to? When David Brown passed away, I had farewelled a cricket club legend, my Wife's grandmother, my father had endured a stroke. David's passing affected me, when in theory it should not have? I was amazed at my reactions over those days. Despite minimal verbal interaction, I considered David a mentor to all. He carried himself in polite consistent manner at all times. Now and again members debate the facts. When the debates became attacks old 'Deeb' was there to modify and realign the tone. David's input was always on the money, always in good spirits.

The forum caters to many....the Original collectors who dabble in repros, the repro only crowd, the pilots in love with the most prized part of the get up, the ground walker looking up and adoring all things flying related and more. With cross overs in some regard if represented on a Venn diagram. Like a community there are educators, builders, grey men and more...The forum is only as good as its members. Some will redirect their priorities as they see fit, or if they feel maligned, head off to start fresh somewhere else. You can't please all the people all the time, and you are foolish to try. Just my thoughts.. Oh crap...my eBay conspiracy and shill bid theories, based on 12 years of daily eBay hours as a seller and buyer...IT'S ME!!! :eek: Maybe I busted their bubbles?...got to go...must put on collander thought helmet....I hear a helicopter. It won't be an Australian MRH, as they are a piece of shit that can't fly. We call them LandSprite at work. (Google SeaSprite)

Couchy

SuinBruin

Good stuff Couchy, thanks for weighing in.

David is missed, but it's up to the rest of us to live by his example.

We should get more review & wear posts from the members, whether vintage or repro jackets. I'm as guilty as anyone about not taking the time to do this... maybe I'll make it my summer project.

Rutger

How about unlisting those members who haven't visited for a year or more?
It feels dumb to congratulate someone who hasn't been here for a year or two.
Enlisted 2008, last visited 2010, 3 posts........
Some members are obviously totally unaware of their membership and have forgotten completely.

ButteMT61

Rutger said:
Some members are obviously totally unaware of their membership and have forgotten completely.

X2! I would make this exception though: members who have passed on. I'd like to remember those guys on their birthdays. Even though I'm a new guy here.

Vcruiser

Rutger said:

Why unlist them? Some take breaks...and then return.

Why not just look at their profile..and see their activity before starting a 'congrats' thread.
Very simple.
If they haven't visited in quite a while..Yeah it is kind of silly. :shock:

siddhartha

Administrator
These type of questions come up time and again. It is not easy for us (mainly Bill and myself) to even attempt to please everyone.

For a long, long while I felt sure that minimal moderation was the key to a successful forum. There were other forums out there that failed, or limped along because (I felt) of oppressive moderation. Thus, I maintained a "less-is-more" attitude about this forum...

However, in practice, it doesn't always work, at least not in my experience. There are countless arguments between members who cannot seem to come to an amicable resolution, and then Bill and/or I are forced to get involved. There are also from time to time legal threats to us as a forum, and to me personally. This I cannot tolerate, and if the resolution to people causing possible legal problems to us results in a little more heavy-handed moderation, than so be it. Bill and I absolutely AGONIZE about those types of decisions, because we both feel strongly that people should be able to moderate themselves. We do it everyday-we don't "take out" the person in front of us because we are sick of waiting in line, we don't beat up our neighbors because their car is in our space. Why should it be difficult here? Ah, but it is...

I am sure that many people register here, read a few posts, maybe get the info they wanted, and then go on their way. I am sure that requiring an ISP email address is off-putting to some, who don't appreciate the requirement (since requiring that however, the bot/spam accounts have gone down dramatically). I am sure that some read a nasty-toned post and think "this place isn't for me." We cannot make this place 100% for 100% of members, regardless of our wishes and attempts.

I have lost friendships because of this forum, and have made friends, too. I would have preferred to not lose anyone, especially some of the "old guard" who were there from the beginning. My interests, too, have waned somewhat, as I can no longer justify buying/trading so many jackets. Simply not the time in my life for that, with a beautiful 10-month old daughter:

In the end, the forum is here for all of you, no matter how often you want to post. I am sure some of you never post at all, and that's ok with us.

If I can ask one thing though, it would be to treat each other as you'd like to be treated, offer up information to new people even if you've gone over it more than a few times already, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves.

Chris

ButteMT61

Beautiful girl and great post.
You guys do a great job. One of the best forums I've been part of, and the mod'ing is very well done. Thanks for keeping it running...