• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Identification of a flight school Squadron patch

NickG

I got this patch off ebay and it was described as follows:

WWII USAAF DISNEY EAGLE CAL-AERO ONTARIO CALIF FLIGHT JACKET PATCH , 5 INCH , PAINT ON HVY CANVAS, MADE FOR RKO MOVIE STUDIOS AND MARKED FOR STUDIO AND MAX BERMAN COSTUME AND PROPS OF LOS ANGELES , SOLD AS STUDIO PATCH ONLY, PATCH SHOWS MINOR AGE AND WEAR...
This would be a primary training Squadron at the Cal-Aero flight academy Ontario (the current Chino CA airport location). Its a USAAF contracted (civilian) flight school and an article on it was covered in a 1941 dated LIFE magazine.

Somebody I know confirmed its a Cal-Aero Ontario used Disney design, as he had seen a decorative plate with various school squadron insignia on it (to include this one), all attributed to Cal-Aero Flight Academy, so just like the ebay description reads...

However on Brian French's excellent web site and I understand also illustrated in the "Disney dons dogtags" book (which I don't own), its again identified as AAF School, 92nd School Squadron, Craig Field, Selma Army Air Base, Selma, AL.......
so not Cal-Aero in Ontario, California... True? or is the book completely off the mark?
and the patch is now attributed to the incorrect school, because its being used as a reference by many?

ontariocalaero.jpg

NickG

Here is a similar (period) School Squadron patch as offered on Brian French's thorough web site
(hope its OK to reproduce it here) and its described as the Selma Alabama Army Air base based school unit...So who's right?
AAFschool92SchoolSqCraigFieldSelmaA.jpg

CBI

Brain's site and the Disney have many great things about each but there are also many errors in/on both. Just a general FYI observation