• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idea for a 1980s “Col. Hogan” Jacket

Jennison

You know, the farby, shiny, seal-brown (almost black) A-2s from days of yore. I have a chance to buy a like-new one for 75 bucks and might consider it if any of you have an idea of how I can make an already seal-brown jacket look like a seal-brown depot re-dye. If I can do that with reasonable success, I’ll add an AAF decal to the shoulder and voila! I’ll have a $75 jacket that looks good from only 50 yards off.

Has anyone tried this with any success, or does anyone who’s dyed a jacket have an ideas?

Jennison

That was a very interesting thread! My question however, isn’t so much about making the jacket look like a depot re-dye by adding rank, decal & name tag. Let’s assume I have none of that stuff. How can I make a jacket that’s already seal brown—and looks like it was always seal brown—look like a seal-brown re-dye. Can that be done with say, adding more dye? If so what color etc. Only after it has that re-dyed appearance would I add the decal. I hope this make some sense.

Last edited:

mulceber

I’m not sure you need to add more dye. It’s already the right color, and most actual depot re-dyes didn’t show much wear immediately. McQueen’s looks like that because he was wearing it in 1963. Hogan’s doesn’t look that worn, from what I can recall.

Dumpster D

How can I make a jacket that’s already seal brown—and looks like it was always seal brown—look like a seal-brown re-dye. Can that be done with say, adding more dye? If so what color etc. Only after it has that re-dyed appearance would I add the decal.

Gotta get yourself thrown in the cooler for a few stints while wearing it. ;)

B-Man2

Hogans jacket was a Hollywood interpretation of an A2 jacket put together by the production company . It was never an original issued A2 jacket. After the show went off the air the jacket was stored in the wardrobe department and was next worn again by Frank Sinatra during the filming of “Von Ryans Express” Most likely the jacket was made from lambskin as opposed to horsehide . There are several threads about it in the archives if you do a search . The point is that original A2 jackets didn’t have the shine that you’re trying to duplicate from a Hollywood A2 jacket . But , good luck with it .
IMG_3497.png

Jennison

Oh heck, I’m calling that 1980s jacket a “Col. Hogan” jacket as a mildly disparaging reference. I’m trying to convert it from a Col. Hogan jacket. I, like everyone but the then 45-50 year olds who wore those jackets in harm’s way, first thought Hogan’s jacket was black! That said, if a jacket freshly from depot-refurbishment (and re-dyed by someone not looking for a Section 8) looked like a seal brown jacket from the maker, I’ll leave it alone. That’s actually a much better answer than I was looking for. I’ll probably buy it, dumb-down the shine with a light wiping of acetone and just add the decal to the shoulder. BTW, it has no escape map lining or side-pockets, and the pockets on it aren’t almost touching each other.

As an aside and in reference to Burt’s post, Bob Crane’s jacket was actually Frank Sinatra’s jacket. It was made for Von Ryan’s Express which was released in 1965. After that it was used in Hogan’s Heroes which first aired in the fall of 1965. Not sure it was the only A-2 worn by Hogan. Was it?

In any event, I’m glad I asked and I thank you guys for the info.

Last edited:

mulceber

Oh heck, I’m calling that 1980s jacket a “Col. Hogan” jacket as a mildly disparaging reference. I’m trying to convert it from a Col. Hogan jacket. I, like everyone but the then 45-50 year olds who wore those jackets in harm’s way, first thought Hogan’s jacket was black! That said, if a jacket freshly from depot-refurbishment (and re-dyed by someone not looking for a Section 8) looked like a seal brown jacket from the maker, I’ll leave it alone. That’s actually a much better answer than I was looking for. I’ll probably buy it, dumb-down the shine with a light wiping of acetone and just add the decal to the shoulder. BTW, it has no escape map lining or side-pockets, and the pockets on it aren’t almost touching each other.

As an aside and in reference to Burt’s post, Bob Crane’s jacket was actually Frank Sinatra’s jacket. It was made for Von Ryan’s Express which was released in 1965. After that it was used in Hogan’s Heroes which first aired in the fall of 1965. Not sure it was the only A-2 worn by Hogan. Was it?

In any event, I’m glad I asked and I thank you guys for the info.
IIRC, he wore an original during the pilot, but they switched to Frank Sinatra’s jacket (which didn’t fit Crane all that well) afterward.

Jennison

Really? You gotta wonder about those Wardrobe folks; I hope someone can answer this. Crane starts off with a correct, original jacket that fits him and then gets saddled with a costume jacket that doesn't. At that time, original A-2s were only about half as old as the one I'm going to bastardize, so it's not like they were trying to preserve anything. I get it that they didn't sweat the details, but since surplus stores and thrift shops sold them on a regular basis, it was probably cheaper for Desilu to find an original off the rack A-2 and tailor it than to make one. I dunno, maybe Crane's fake jacket was lighter and cooler under the lights? Same with Gregory Peck's jacket in 12 O'clock High. In 1950, Peck was featured in Life Magazine sporting a depot-refurb that looked like it fit him quite well, but he wore a costume jacket for the film. Lt. Bishop's jacket had back seams. Joe Cobb's jacket looked real. Maybe they wanted wider shoulders etc for Peck? But Bishop? And why give Cobb an original (if it was one)? They let McQueen wear the original he found (good for him). Then again, if they hadn't let McQueen wear what he wanted (including slim, tapered, early 1960s style Khakis instead of baggier, higher waisted pants of the 40s), he'd have busted up the studio equipment....

I would love to know!

stephen210

jumping in here. Not to be a party pooper, but. Costume Companys make many of the same style jackets and wardrobe.
I my humble opinion, the two jackets are not the same.
Why I say this is the Von Ryan jacket has the 12th AAf patch either sewn , I think, or glued on at the same location as Hogan's Hap Armold round is.
And as you can see there are no stich marks or residual glue marks which there would be no way around that.

Thoughts?

Capture6.JPG
Capture5.JPG
Capture3.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture4.JPG

Pa12

jumping in here. Not to be a party pooper, but. Costume Companys make many of the same style jackets and wardrobe.
I my humble opinion, the two jackets are not the same.
Why I say this is the Von Ryan jacket has the 12th AAf patch either sewn , I think, or glued on at the same location as Hogan's Hap Armold round is.
And as you can see there are no stich marks or residual glue marks which there would be no way around that.

Thoughts?

View attachment 151681View attachment 151683View attachment 151685View attachment 151687View attachment 151689
First picture makes a roughwear collar look small ;)